Alpha Legion 1000pts (to begin with)

Grim Dog Studios

Just thought I'd post up this pretty basic 1000pt list for my upcoming AL force. Capped it at 1000pts for now because I don't want to go all out until I know what goodies i will get with extinction which is hopefully not that far off now! Any help would be appreciated, I know I went over by 15pts!

HQ
VIGILATOR - 120
- POWER WEAPON
- ARTIFICER ARMOUR

TROOPS
LEGION TACTICAL SQUAD - 165
- POWER WEAPON
- MELTA BOMBS

LEGION TACTICAL SQUAD - 165
- POWER WEAPON
- MELTA BOMBS

LEGION SUPPORT SQUAD - 175
- PLASMAGUNS

FAST ATTACK
LEGION SEEKERS - 230
- 3 COMBI-WEAPONS
- POWER WEAPON
- ARTIFICER ARMOUR

HEAVY SUPPORT
LEGION HEAVY SUPPORT SQUAD - 160
- MISSILE LAUNCHERS

Wasn't too sure about the seekers, its a lot of eggs in one basket for a 5 man squad, just wanted something remotely Alpha Legion-ish in there.
I'd like to expand it to 1500pts with a contemptor and some terminators decked out in tartaros armour!
So yeah, any C&C is much appreciated!

That's a lot of troop variety considering you don't know what your legion will bring.  Most lists can easily use 2x 20-man tactical squads, 2x apothecaries, and a contemptor mortis with dual TLLC or dual Kheres, and be set for alteration around this.  Adding to it will be your legion specific stuff, unless it changes completely with an all-somethingorother list.

I think the seekers, legion tactical support and legion heavy squad are interesting units that do serve a purpose, but are pricey and not necessarily as effective for their points as other units.  They would also not act as compulsory units should you find that your legion specific stuff directs you in a different way.

A simply HQ Consul, with your tacticals, would definitely give you an excellent starting point.  Can you proxy the other units for the time being ?

Well, not going to lie, the Vigilator and Seekers are probably going to be a big handicap from a purely competitive standpoint, but let's see what we can do here.

Centurion
-Vigilator, Power Axe, Artificer Armor, Meltabomb, Refractor field, Bolt w/Special Ammo

Legion Tactical Squad
Tactical Squad
-15 members, Legion Vexilla, Sergeant with Artificer Armor, Power Axe, Bolt Pistol, Meltabomb

Tactical Squad
-15 members, Legion Vexilla, Sergeant with Artificer Armor, Power Axe, Bolt Pistol, Meltabomb

Seeker Squad
-5 Members, 5 Combi-Plasma, Sergeant with Meltabomb

I think this is a better core force for you.  That allure of Support Squads with plasma guns is strong, but you have to remember that that unit is going to be naked on the table top and a high priority target.  And in the end, it is only 5 power armored bodies.  The same can be said for the Seeker Squad, but at least the Vigilator will get them a scout move and he could maybe tank a few hits for them.  They are still outrageously expensive, and any opponent with a lick of sense will probably crush them swiftly so they can fight you at 1000 points vs your remaining 635.

Since this list is only 815 points (leaving 185 remaining), you have a few options.  For one, you can keep the Legion HS squad you have now, and then spread 15 points of wargear around somewhere.  For two, a Contemptor-Mortis with twin TL Lascannons.  Third option, a squad of 3 Rapier Laser Destroyers and 20 points worth of wargear to spread around.  Fourth option, Sicaran Battle Tank with Lascannon Sponsons, and 10 points of wargear.  I think you're getting the picture here: 185 points to spend on ranged anti-tank, cause you have none.

Archived