http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/quistis333/makingsisterscoolimage_zps2127d8ed.jpg

A Brief Introduction:

Much as we all love the Adepta Sororitas faction and what they mean for the hobby in general, it is no secret that they are an unpopular army choice for the average 40k player.  There are a multitude of reasons for why this is, and many, if not all of them are true.  Be that as it may, the situation we currently find ourselves in remains as it is, with many potential and existing 40k players passing up the Sisters of Battle or worse, and dismissing them entirely as an option.

This thread is your chance to fix the current situation; to do right by the Ecclesiarchy and discover the best ways in which to rectify this tragedy and turn the girls into a popular faction!

That’s right, we’re going commercial on these ladies.  Time to Starbucks some McDonalds!

The following questions are designed to focus our collective efforts onto what is going wrong and/or what can be fixed.  Notice that they are not designed to focus on the actual rules, power level of the codex in the current game or cost of models.  While these issues do affect popularity of a given faction, that is not the focus of this thread.  For the purposes of this discussion, assume those three aspects are unchangeable and impossible to touch; now what else would you do?

Six questions...  Can we get it to one answer?

Question 1: What kind of identity should the Adepta Sororitas have?

It’s a common fact of life that the simpler a concept is to understand, the more successful it can be.  Imagine you are describing what the Sisters of Battle are to someone who has never heard of them.  What is it that you say? 

What IS their aesthetic?

What is their playstyle?

Are they simply female Space Marines like many people claim, or do they have a more distinct role?  Can you describe what they are succinctly but also without sounding creepy, or are the sisters well deserving of that fetish title?

Consider these issues and decide whether the image of the Sororitas should be changed, and if so what should it be changed to?  

Question 2:  Do the Sisters need a change of theme to be appealing?

Rightly or wrongly, the Ecclesiarchy can often be paralleled to certain religious institutions of the real world, and this can be seen as boring by some.  Conversely, perhaps the faction actually needs to embrace the ‘religious nut’ thing even further?

Likewise, should the Sisters try and fill the ‘Guardsmen if they had the best gear and training’ niche or should the emphasis be upon their superhuman zealous nature and (for want of a better term) brainwashing?

Perhaps you feel the Sisters of Battle need a few more epic victories in the fluff, or more duties and sway over the setting as a whole?

What of these, if any, do you believe would make Adepta Sororitas a more appealing choice for hobbyists?

Question 3:  Should the Sisters of Battle be more or less sexualised?

Sex sells.

If performed tactfully and responsibly, perhaps GW should have the Sororitas embrace the sexiness and take on a greater role of harmless beauty?  Attractive without being slutty or revealing.  How would you achieve this in the right way to ensure integrity is maintained?  Would this help or would it increase the embarrassment factor in a situation as described in question 1?

Alternatively, you might consider the current level of sexualisation a stigma that needs to be removed and the faction to be distanced from it.  Should the Sisters emphasise function over form?

Question 4:  What should GW focus on when marketing the Adepta Sororitas?

Games Workshop have an unexpected attack of business sense, and decide to start marketing the Adepta Sororitas more strongly.  Very simply, what aspect of the Sisters of Battle should they be pushing? 

Remember it needs to be the most appealing aspect to as many potential hobbyists as possible, and it needs to make Adepta Sororitas stand out from the crowd as something worthy of their time!

Question 5:  What one addition to any aspect of the hobby would help raise the Sister’s profile?

Sometimes, a certain idea or thing needs something to be added to it, before it can be accepted. 

Think about what made you sit up and pay attention to other factions the first time round.  Perhaps you have some other ideas as to the best addition for this purpose?

Question 6: What one change to any aspect of the hobby would help raise the Sister’s profile?

Sometimes, something needs to change before it can be accepted!

What aspect of the hobby do you feel is holding the faction back?  Alternatively, what one aspect could be improved in order to make the Sororitas more appealing?

So there you have it.

Thanks in advance for any participation in this topic, feel free to include any other related comments you feel are necessary, and we might just be able to identify some of the issues around our beloved Sisters of Battle.  Remember though, that is all in good fun, and simply a chance to discuss some more things about them!

Are you implying the Adepta Sororitas isn't already cool? I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Besides the catholic school gone wrong theme of the repentia, I consider sisters perfect as they are. That the unenlightened considers them female space marines or the fetish brigade is neither my problem nor my responsability.

And I'll drop them without remorse if Games Workshop sexualizes them.

Sisters shouldn't get a 'kid-friendly' update like daemonettes did, thankfully.

Showing no mercy to my braincells and laughing at headaches, I've thought about the questions. And realized I had few answers. Oh well.

1. I'd call them the most zealous holy warriors in a faction of genocidal religious nutjobs. If my interlocutor hasn't run away to denounce me as a nazi to the police for liking them, I'd mention they're all women because the Space Church of Opressive Ominousness that rules them used semantics (it was super effective).

No idea about what their playstyle is nor what it should be. I'd be tempted to say 'total eradication of the enemy' but everyone in the Imperium is like that.

My idea of their image is that even if you're outnumbered by everyone, including space marines, and those are physically better than ou in every way, that doesn't mean you can't kick ass. Because the Emperor protects, damnit.

2. I'd suggest to embrace the religious zeal. One of the key traits of the Adepta Sororitas, maybe the key trait, is that they're the Daughters of the Emperor. They get acts of faith. They didn't betray Him en masse. The Emperor watches over them and over no one else. Regardless of whether it's indeed Him or the strength of their faith, that's what defines them in my opinon, more so than power armor or bolters.

3. As I mentioned, I'm against it. One of the very few things I like about Games Workshop is that even the space BDSM elves look tasteful (regardless of whether the models actually look like women or not), at least in my eyes. Or I should say, they look more GRRKILLTHEMALL than DATASS, even those who gad about with leather stockings and more hair than clothing (including said stockings).

Plus, making 'sexy' one of the points of the faction as opposed as a 'collateral damage' leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's like saying 'you can't kick ass if you're not sexy.' There's already enough 'you don't deserve to be loved if you're ugly' going on as it is (I'm looking at you, Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame).

4. Stand out from the crowd? You mean like Codex: Vanilla Space Marines, Codex: Chocolate Space Marines, Codex: Caramel and M&M's Space Marines, Codex: Strawberry Space Marines with sprinkles and Codex: Spiky Vanilla Space Marines?

I guess a 'see, there are women too in the 41st millenium! And they kick ass just as much as the men!' could be a marketing point. Or that they have the most badass-looking power armor in the setting.

5. What brought me to them was that they wore (space) heavy armor. I love me heavy armor. And I like women better than men, though I bear the latter no ill (males are another kettle of fish). If they had plastics, I'd play them, not space marines.

6. Plastics.

The only thing I would change is to drop the points of the twinlinked inferno pistols for seraphim...really.  30 points?  Meltaguns are 10.

One main problem with sisters are the hideously expensive metal models.  They are some amazing sculpts...for their age.  But to be really effective, you need a high model count, and that's hideously expensive.  Space marines are $4 for a 14 point model, sisters are $5.75 for a 12 point model...and special and heavy weapons, not to mention sergeants are included in the price of the space marines, ours are sold separately for $stupid/model.  That encourages us to field small squads, which doesn't work in 6th edition.

The other main problem is the lack of an enemy.  Our natural foe would be traitors...which is only very loosely approximated by some, not all, of the entries in C:CSM.  LATD as a separate army would make us seem more...relevant.

/edit/  It's not HimOnEarth, it's their faith...They never betrayed him?  How about deifying him against his will?  Anyway, I wouldn't say they're sexy at all...executioners with boobs in paupers' rags?  power armor with an adamantium bra?  Not particularly a turn on for me...female doesn't automatically mean sexy!  I like them for their zealotry more than anything...and when I first started them, they were tied with GKTs (and I already had deathwing for an all termie army) for the best sculpts in citadel's range, although plastics have come a loooong way since then, and they're now not standing out so much.

Notice that they are not designed to focus on the actual rules, power level of the codex in the current game or cost of models

With that said, traitors aren't the Adepta Sororitas' enemy any more than they're the Adeptus Astartes'. ALL of His enemies are in our most holy crosshairs. We prosecute the Ecclesiarchy's Wars of Faith, and these confront all miscreants, from the mutant to the xenos, from the treasonous to the daemon.

EDIT: They didn't betray him willingly, as far as I know. Dominica did go to the Emperor at some point, for all we know he approved them because he thought faith in him was the only thing keeping the Imperium united. Unlikely, and I do recognize I could have chosen better words and reasons.

I don't find them sexy myself. Then again, I find no one sexy (to the dismay of many). Beautiful, yes. Sexy, no.

Norse Valkyries meets Joan of Arc.  Lara Croft in Power Armor.  The devote, mortal servants chosen by the god emperor himself to battle in his name.  Tasked with the sacred duty of seeking out the artifacts and remains of hero's and saints made holy in the fires of war against his enemies, carrying them back to his holy shrines, and ensuring that every tale of selfless and glorious sacrifice in his name lives on forever.   

Basically, holy relic hunters who specialize in smash, grab, and burn operations.

Yes, the pseudo bdsm thing needs to go, badly.  Focus more on the bolter and less on the 'babes'.  The entertainment industry has came out with plenty of strong female leads in movies and television, women who can kick ass and look good doing it, without dressing them up in leather and whips.  It's past time for GW to do the same. 

About the same, although the approach needs to change.  Stop trying to make sisters 'bondage sexy' and start working towards 'vanilla/female warrior sexy' instead.

Lara Croft in Power Armor.  'enough said.

Question 5:  What one addition to any aspect of the hobby would help raise the Sister’s profile?

More sister's fiction from the Black Library, and more mentions in the little fluff bits in all codex's. 

LIke 'Captain so and so's weapon/armor/remains, thought forever lost to the hands/claws/whatevers of the insert faction here, was returned to the chapter/regiment by the insert sister's order here following the success of a brutal ten year recovery crusade in the insert faction area/planet here'  Just a little mention every so often that does not involve slaughtering them for armor paint.

Question 6: What one change to any aspect of the hobby would help raise the Sister’s profile?

More female models in general.  Eldar does a good job of this I think, but the Imperial Guard, Chaos (not marine), Tau, and Inquisition are a total sausage fest.  It is such a male dominated hobby visually that an inherently female army stands out as being so radically different that there's this sense that they don't 'fit in' with the rest.  More female models in the hobby as a whole would help the sisters stop standing out in a negative way and start standing out in a positive way instead.

Sisters are NOT like the guard, the navy, and the marines. They are not regular forces to fight the imperium's wars. They are the ecclesiarchy's semi-illegal muscle. I see them patrolling pilgrimage routes and guarding shrine worlds, not invading xenos worlds. You are right, though, that the traitor angle was more of a WH thing, not a SoB thing.

Matthew, they are SO NOT 'combat archaeologists' !!!

I'm almost positive that any attempt by GW/BL to make Sisters cool...well...it's like this.

You take a bunch of middle aged British guys. You lock them in an office and tell them "Okay, I want this faction to be made all 'hip' and 'with it' so the kids these days will think they're 'da bomb'. You dig me, dawgs?"

At this point, you have only yourself to blame for the horrors to come.

This is just my own opinion so just take it as is.

I don't think their image needs to change.  I am positive their image does not need to be altered in order to be perceived as cool, mainstream or modified for mass appeal.

If they made an attempt to market them at all would be a good start.

What they need are more options, more models, more units and more rules.  No amount of PR spin will sell someone on starting an army that does not have models for sell.

Notice that they are not designed to focus on the actual rules, power level of the codex in the current game or cost of models

With that said, traitors aren't the Adepta Sororitas' enemy any more than they're the Adeptus Astartes'. ALL of His enemies are in our most holy crosshairs. We prosecute the Ecclesiarchy's Wars of Faith, and these confront all miscreants, from the mutant to the xenos, from the treasonous to the daemon.

EDIT: They didn't betray him willingly, as far as I know. Dominica did go to the Emperor at some point, for all we know he approved them because he thought faith in him was the only thing keeping the Imperium united. Unlikely, and I do recognize I could have chosen better words and reasons.

I don't find them sexy myself. Then again, I find no one sexy (to the dismay of many). Beautiful, yes. Sexy, no.

We don't have any epic rivalries, though, I guess is what was meant. The DAngels have the Fallen, the SWolves have the Thousand Sons, the Guard have the Orks, the Sisters have... the mutant, the witch and the heretic. None of which are especially well defined. Oh, and Renegade Marines, but you are never going to convince the Marine or CSM fanboys that we can actually pull that off, no matter how many fluff examples you throw at them.

Question 1: What kind of identity should the Adepta Sororitas have?

The Sisters of Battle are the militant arm of the church, rooting out heresy and treachery both amongst the people of the Imperium and within the church itself. They are the sword of damocles that keeps the citizens of the Imperium honest. They are an all-female order of ascetic warriors armed with the best equipment available within the strictures of their calling. They are a brutal, close-ranged army that sweeps aside the enemy with massive, literal firepower.

Question 2:  Do the Sisters need a change of theme to be appealing?

Definitely need some more epic victories in the background. When things like Badab happen, they need to stop being excluded. By all rights, the Sororitas should have accompanied the Minotaurs at the very least, but did they? No. No reason given. Just that the Minotaurs were sent, to show off and sell Minotaur models. A change in theme, though? No, just more publicity. They represent the dark side of the Imperium, and they need to continue doing that.

Question 3:  Should the Sisters of Battle be more or less sexualised?

I think they're good as they are. They aren't really all that sexualised compared to some other female sci-fi characters, and I think the look they do have is too entrenched to really change. A little more bulk around the midriff, perhaps, to reduce the corset look. Oh, and less... pointy... boob plate. The problem is that even if they wore stay-pufft suits, they would end up being sexualised by the audience.

Question 4:  What should GW focus on when marketing the Adepta Sororitas?

Faith and Fire. Not the novel, the imagery. The Sisterhood are awesome because of their imagery and their zeal. Their incorruptibility. The fact that they, more than any other faction, will stand steadfast in the face of the enemy. Unfortunately, they overplayed the incorruptible hand with the Grey Knights, stealing our schtick to big up the shiny Marines. So perhaps the humanity of the Sisterhood should be a key aspect as well. The Sisterhood aren't genetically enhanced or mentally programmed, they stand against the horror of the galaxy off their own willpower... unlike the Guard, who stand because of the gun to their backs.

Question 5:  What one addition to any aspect of the hobby would help raise the Sister’s profile?

More publication. More appearances in the magazines. More blog posts. Something to raise the profile of horde armies for the Sisterhood to flame.

Question 6: What one change to any aspect of the hobby would help raise the Sister’s profile?

The only thing I can think of is the modelling aspect, which is a flaw with the Sisters' models and therefore outside the scope of this project. We need to be more customisable. We need to be more Mechano, and less Action Man. The hobby doesn't inherently make the Sisters unpopular. The fanbase might.

Sisters need the Dark Eldar treatment...

A total overhaul bringing the models up to date, in plastic... Not that sisters are bad. But yeah... you don't see them on the shelves at GW stores, not many people play them, I bet if I took my Sisters to the 'beginners' group' at one of the stores near me... I'd get a what are those? It seems GW might be getting a little better at doing female sculpts, but there are too few examples to be confident about this.

They could probably do with their fluff being overhauled, not major changes, but expanded upon like the Dark Eldar, maybe adding some new stuff, but nothing too strange. I'm thinking the codex should be for the ecclesiarchy with the Sisters being the core of the codex, but with every slot having at least 1 non-sisters unit. As much as I love the Arbites (I have an army with about 60 of them), I don't think they belong in this codex. It should focus on the church.

I don't think Sisters will ever be the most popular army, even after marines, but I don't see why they should be the least popular army, they have a lot of things going for them. But they need to be redone (well), and promoted.

Sisters should be a nightmare in the within 12, while they are out of combat. Maybe we can see some new flamer/melta/bolter weapons... Big guns are not what sisters are about, but I think torrent flamers (hellhound style), small blast melta, or bigger bolters (Avenger bolt gun? I get my names confused... Smaller than a Vulcan Mega-Bolter.

Torrent could also be away around the old move fast and flame rule that immolators had (not that I would mind that coming back), if GW wants to minimize the number of non-USRs being used.

Avenger Bolt Cannon :)

I'm not sure what other Ecclesiarchy units would be included. The Sisters are the Ecclesiarchy's fighting units. Anyone else who claims to be a member of the church can only practice martial arts 'as a hobby' by the decree passive.

I was scratching my head when I read the topic title. Since when were Sisters not cool? I was about to rally the gang to purge you out of the village with flamer and boltgun :P

Fanatical warrior nuns pretty much covers it to be honest!

No.

They're fine as they are, sex may sell but it's always a desperate and transparent play and doesn't belong in war gaming.

Their relentless and uncompromising nature is their hallmark, sort of like Dredds of the church. That and their absolute faith, that's what they are at their core so why not focus on that?

More face time, get more Sisters on the blog, WD etc. Even if it's just one of the team using their/GW's collection for batreps that's a start.

Plastic models and a nice shiny codex to go with them!

I'm not sure what other Ecclesiarchy units would be included. The Sisters are the Ecclesiarchy's fighting units. Anyone else who claims to be a member of the church can only practice martial arts 'as a hobby' by the decree passive.

They could do more with the HQ.  Synod Cardinals for example.  But much more support and flavor than being a martial unit.  More like Inquisitors with chapter tactics.

What about bringing back arbites...maybe as a supplement after we get a real codex?  I know they're no more SoB than Sob are WH, but the addition of some cheap cannon fodder with their own cool factor can't hurt.  I'm thinking like IG, but with BS2 (but WS3) and a 6+ armor save, autoguns, access to repressors as a dedicated transports or, if they are walking, scatter-free deepstrike within 3" of a building or ruins (no dangerous terrain test, they were already there, they just emerged from hiding).  Maybe offensive and defensive grenades, but no kraks or meltabombs?

I think new models along with a new codex is the key.  The problem, though, is the combat strippers and the titanium corsets.  Is Nottingham really going to bring attention to the Sororitas in this political environment?  The potential for bad press on account of the objectification of women ("vestal virgins in power armor" is objectification?) is frightening.  That's probably actually the reason that stores don't even have the option of stocking sisters (the cost of stocking them in GW's own brick and mortar stores is negligible, putting paid to the economic argument)

What about bringing back arbites...maybe as a supplement after we get a real codex?  I know they're no more SoB than Sob are WH, but the addition of some cheap cannon fodder with their own cool factor can't hurt.  I'm thinking like IG, but with BS2 (but WS3) and a 6+ armor save, autoguns, access to repressors as a dedicated transports or, if they are walking, scatter-free deepstrike within 3" of a building or ruins (no dangerous terrain test, they were already there, they just emerged from hiding).  Maybe offensive and defensive grenades, but no kraks or meltabombs?

I think new models along with a new codex is the key.  The problem, though, is the combat strippers and the titanium corsets.  Is Nottingham really going to bring attention to the Sororitas in this political environment?  The potential for bad press on account of the objectification of women ("vestal virgins in power armor" is objectification?) is frightening.  That's probably actually the reason that stores don't even have the option of stocking sisters (the cost of stocking them in GW's own brick and mortar stores is negligible, putting paid to the economic argument)

No, no. no. The Arbites get access to training and equipment that is superior to that have the average Guardsman. We are talking on the level of Stormtroopers, Commissars, and the Sisters themselves

Frateris Militia were more in mind with what I had, and they are a better fit for cheap cannon fodder as well.

I think the Sororitas could really do with a specialty, a specific fluff role that they perform on the battlefield that no one else can.

Precision strike - call the space marines

Daemon-infested world - send in the Grey knights

Forge world - crush them beneath the treads of the Imperial Guard

Witch hunt/ city warfare/ human rebellion - we NEED the sisters of battle

I'd say something like they should be the ones who protect the infrastructure and holy places of the Imperium. A more elite 'scalpel' type of force than the imperial guard but less brutal than the space marines and the first port of call when something sensitive is threatened.

The rabid attack dogs of the Ecclesiarchy. Burn everyone, the Emperor will know his own.

I think the theme isn't played up enough, and if they changed it to something else I would be pretty miffed about it. I really do believe the Ecclesiarchy should have a much greater role in the fluff and on the table-top, considering the backwards, superstitious, paranoid, fascist, oppressive, full-of-necessary-evils place that the Imperium of M41 is.

I think everyone but the Repentia hits the right tone, as far as models go. Because of the theme of the army, you need to know the are women. The easiest way to do that is emphasize the curves with the body armour. They have boobs, but it doesn't strike me as fetish fuel so much as "hey, these ones here are females, OK?" Now the Repentia, those could be redone a little bit. I don't really have an issue with the fact they wear rags (other than they get no armour save) but they are clearly wearing lingerie and standing in sexy poses with their perky boobs on display. Granted, not as much as some companies do, but enough that I think they look sexy rather than intimidating. I've seen some very nice art with Repentia wearing the exact same outfits, but the posing and the horrific penitent scrolls piercing their flesh and the deranged zealotry on their faces really, really did not lean toward fetish fuel. A Repentia is someone who is looking for absolution through ultraviolence, and that just doesn't show through in the current sculpts.

They need better treatment in the fluff. The Ecclesiarchy needs to be more independent, more aggressive, more influential. Give them a section of the Imperium sort of like Ultramar, where they have enough concentrated power, influence, and efficacy against the enemies of the Imperium that the rest of the Imperium turns a blind eye (except for the occasional OH Inquisitor who goes missing...) A potential player wants to feel that their faction is a respectable force, not a footnote holdover from the past. I honestly think that sensitivity to religious imagery will keep the Ecclesiarchy from being given the place they deserve, though. Throw "all women" on top of that, and it's not surprising to me that GW seems to be acting slightly embarrassed by them.

A large re-release that includes a hardback codex, dataslates, mutli-part poseable plastics, decent assault transports, a large centerpiece, and a blitz of fiction that shows them being as awesome as we all here already know they are.

Step back a little bit from the "super collectible premium Cadillac of the wargame hobby" approach that GW uses. They have a really interesting role in the setting and are thematically appealing, but they are expensive and hard to get into, even for 40k.

They are the emperors sword. The edge of his armies, the fire of his hearth, the flame of vengeance. The sisters of battle should be dogged, pulled ever closer to the enemy, hunting them like rodents and cleansing them like the fire of their flamers. A close range army thats durable on an army wide level and mobile on an army-wide level. People should see their units and think 'hunter killer missile with a side of lipstick'.

Not really, they just need more unit options and ways to vary their playstyle in the same codex, and the options to get units in plastic so the army is affordable, or atleast as affordable as GW games get.

The religious themes, the gender, the fire and flame, the faith... all of these are wins for many players. They suffer much as DE did, with a distinct lack of options and support that keep many players from 'gambling' with an expensive, somewhat outdated, army.

I think theyre perfect. You take one look at a SoB and go 'nuns with guns'. Theyre obviously female, obviously here to kick arse first and anything else second. They dont need exposed breasts or enlarged dierrers to get the job done. Theres something sexy and classic about *not* showing so much skin, and we can leave the other brand of sexy to slaanesh.

Passion and determination. Seriously, the fires of passion, the flame of the emperors faith, the determined zeal of nuns with guns! The marketing writes itself. To help people wrap their heads around the playstyle, Id suggest marketing them as dogged and aggressive, and back those up with units that work.

You should feel like youre on a holy crusade by the end of every movement phase, and feel like youre sacking a city by the end of the shooting phase.

A new codex release. Really, thats all they need. A new codex, half a dozen new kits so you can build the force inside said codex, and theyd be quite high profile.

Are we really asking the same question twice? Because seriously, thats all they need. If GW wanted to, then releasing a couple of kick-ass books about them... say starting as the brides of the emperor and moving to the revelation on terra.... couldnt hurt. But really, they just need to get equal treatment as an army to be seen equally as an army. The interest is there, they just need to capitalize on it.

Personally I would really just love GW to write the story of Vandire and the Age of Apostasy.  Seriously... I mean, we know the Heresy is where a lot of attention goes, but the Age of Apostasy is almost as bad and as lengthy fluff-wise, but it's almost untouched.

The Sisters are sexy just as they are.  Sexy, not slutty.  Sexy as the heroines of Sci-Fi are.  We've all watched Dr. Who, Firefly, Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5.. I mean, it's entirely possible to totally kick butt and not run around in a bikini while doing it.  The Sisters do that.  They are every bit as heroic as Marines, in some cases more so because they're "only" human.  They stand up to the exact same foes, with the same gear, the difference is instead of genetic modification to become super human they simply believe.  They believe in something so strongly that it gives them enough determination to see it done.

What's needed?  Exposure and less of a barrier to entry.  More city fight scenarios where flamer and melta show their stuff.  Too many players and tables are open range warfare, that's never been where the Inquisition or Ecclesiarchy has excelled.  Up close, in allies and buildings at a range of 24" or less.  That's where we deal damage.

The Sisters have exactly what they need.  You cannot run, you cannot hide, they will not stop, and they will find you.  If they have to burn the entire planet brick by brick, only in death does duty end.  You cannot destroy faith and honor, you cannot steal it, you cannot break it.  They can only give it up, and these girls never will ;)

1. They are warrier nuns,this is their dynamic.

2. Their theme could be slightly boosted.

3.No need to sexualize them, they are already quite attractive

4. The zeal,the theme.

5. A new codex,and new plastics

6.I would have to agree that they need more promotion.The addition of new plastic models,would make them more available .They would become more widely used,if they became more available through price.

Repentia aren't sexy, but they are definitely fetish fuel. There's a whole fetish subculture built around piercings and self-mutilation. I think we call them Neveau Artistes.

Anyone else find it amusing that our arguments all basically boil down to "They don't need to be sexier, they just need to be more exposed"? Oh, English.

Well, I have just read through all of the replies so far; very interesting stuff!

Are you implying the Adepta Sororitas isn't already cool?

Of course not, if they weren't cool then they wouldn't be my favourite army! smile.png The thing is though, what does everyone else in the world think? What to most people think are cooler? Space Marines or Sisters of Battle, and why is that?

I'd suggest to embrace the religious zeal. One of the key traits of the Adepta Sororitas, maybe the key trait, is that they're the Daughters of the Emperor. They get acts of faith. They didn't betray Him en masse. The Emperor watches over them and over no one else. Regardless of whether it's indeed Him or the strength of their faith, that's what defines them in my opinon, more so than power armor or bolters.

So are you saying you would like to see the Faith thing utilised more strongly in the rules, to the point were it means the difference between winning and losing games? It would certainly help give the sisters a niche! smile.png

More sister's fiction from the Black Library, and more mentions in the little fluff bits in all codex's.

This seems to be one of the most agreed upon points. More stories of epic daring-do are required!

More female models in general. Eldar does a good job of this I think, but the Imperial Guard, Chaos (not marine), Tau, and Inquisition are a total sausage fest. It is such a male dominated hobby visually that an inherently female army stands out as being so radically different that there's this sense that they don't 'fit in' with the rest. More female models in the hobby as a whole would help the sisters stop standing out in a negative way and start standing out in a positive way instead.

I personally think this is a very good point you've made here.

No amount of PR spin will sell someone on starting an army that does not have models for sell.

I'm not convinced on this... We have a Mechanicum board after all! tongue.png

I think they're good as they are. They aren't really all that sexualised compared to some other female sci-fi characters, and I think the look they do have is too entrenched to really change. A little more bulk around the midriff, perhaps, to reduce the corset look. Oh, and less... pointy... boob plate.

It seems we have pretty much an agreed consensus, in that most of the community agrees they are not overly sexualised currently (with the exception of Repentia), yet if any changes are to be made, it should be to make them slightly more conservative.

Sisters need the Dark Eldar treatment...

A total overhaul bringing the models up to date, in plastic...

Whilst I agree (and want this) most whole-heartedly, was the Dark Eldar overhaul really a success? Despite a new model line they are still fairly unpopular as far as 40k factions go. Does this mean that there are other factors at play which are more important in determining the popularity of a given army?

I think the Sororitas could really do with a specialty, a specific fluff role that they perform on the battlefield that no one else can.

Another good point; the purpose of the Sisters is somewhat blurred at the moment. What is their role in the galaxy? Imperial police vs heretics? Are their not several factions which fulfil that role already?

The rabid attack dogs of the Ecclesiarchy. Burn everyone, the Emperor will know his own.

The 'aggressive hunters/stalkers' seems to be a theme that everyone agrees on. Do you feel this has been adequetely relayed to the 40k playerbase?

Thanks again everyone for all the comments so far. Let's see what else we can figure out tongue.png

Archived