Iron Warriors 2000pt

UltraCaptain

I have made a list of what I would use in an Iron Warrior army. It is not final because the IW rules are not out yet, but a guideline.

Chaplain - Power Weapon, Artificer Armour, Refractor Shield (Breacher squad)

Apothecary - Power Sword         (Breacher squad)

20 Breacher Squad - 4 Gravity Guns, Combi-wpn, Artificer Armour, Power Fist

20 Assault Squad - 3 Power Weapons, Sgt: Artificer Armour, Power Weapon     (Option: add 15 meltabombs, remove 5 assault marines)

8 Support Squad - 7 Volakite Calivers

3 Rapier Battery - Laser Destroyers

1 Mortis Dreadnought - 2x TL-Lascannons

1 Vindicator - Machine Spirit

1 Sicaran Battle Tank - Lascannon sponsors

HQ: 1

Troops: 3

Elite: 3

Fast: 0

Heavy: 3

The list represent a heavy assault team. A force that would attack a fortified position after several days of siege. I like that I have not copied very many units and I like the broad range of models it includes. It is not designed as super competitive, but still a list that can bite. I think I will mainly play 30k or 40k friendly games more than competitive cheese lists.

There is an option to remove 5 assult marines and add 15 meltabombs on the assault squad. With the idea was that they would assault vehicles and destroy things like spartans (even though I do have a lot of firepower already) The last 5 points could be spent on a meltabomb, perhaps on the chaplain or assault sergeant if I add the 5 extra marines.
Another option is to remove weapon from apothecary, and add a Jump Pack to the Chaplain, so he can join the Assault Squad instead.

Ah, knew it !  That's what I was gonna suggest you do too, the RapLasDes seems a much better fit than a single bike :)

The assault squad isn't exactly cheap to start with, with the amount of heavy stuff, I personally would look to start the list without meltabombs on them, and instead putting them on any serg or character that can take them.  Don't forget your Vexilla on the breachers.  For the apothecary, have a look at Arti armour and an Augury scanner for 40k games.

Why you whant that Caplain as Commander? Master of Signal, Forgelord or Siegebreaker are more IW but its up to you.

If you whant to keep him, give him a Jumppack and let him go with youre Assault Squad, the "Zealot" can do much more here.

I always give my Squads at least one Melter Bomb. There to much things like an Contemptor out there you cant defeat otherwise, so you at least a chance.

For all other try to play a few games, my Arny changed a lot after the first 2 -5 Games. :)

I just think the chaplain fits better. MoS typically need a heavy wpn squad and I dont have that much benefit from the other two.

I also followed your advice with jump pack and melta bombs. I is edited in my excel document :) will update when I can

Looks pretty solid overall, but part of me wants to see one of those vindicators swapped out for some artillery.  Medusa or WW Scorpius.  It's hard for me to think Iron Warriors without thinking siege equipment of some sort.

That is very true. A lot might change with the next book. Artillery will most definitly be a speciality!!!

I did think of tanking a Medusa instead of 1 Vindicator, nearly same cost.

Update: Actually, when you think about it - the assault squad does not fit with the rest of the army. Yes it is kinda fast moving, but most things still move 6''. Maybe a large despoiler squad is more viable. Added an apothecary, that saves 150-200 points. A rather large amount!

Yeah, you pay a huge tax to get mobility on those assault troopers.  If you look at C:SM, 20 assault marines with 1 vet sergeant is only 350 points.  For the same thing in 30k, you pay 400 points.  The same amount of despoilers is 250 points, so you're paying 7.5 points per guy for jump packs.  And comparing C:SM tac squads to assault squads, they're paying 3 points per guy for a jump pack.  There's other intangibles, like the value of having assault squads as troops instead of fast attack, but any way you look at it you're paying through the nose for that maneuverability.

Perhaps you might swap both Vindicators for a single squadron with two Medusas, the assault troops for some tacticals (either bolters, despoilers, or bolter/bp/ccw), the chaplain could maybe be switched out for a master of signal or siege breaker.  A siege breaker with nuncio vox, terminator armor, a chainfist, and a couple phosphex bombs could make a really cool looking commander leading from the front.  Or perhaps a chainfist and boarding shield if you're going to put him with the breachers.  Master of Signal would be happy enough standing in with your Rapier squad and giving them BS5 (and LoS for your Medusas, and tossing pie plates from the sky when he has the time).

Speaking of, given that they're heavy, blast, and relatively short ranged, I'm not really a fan of Graviton guns on breachers.  It's one of the few places where I think a meltagun still has some use in a 30k list, even if your opponent is rocking armored ceramite on everything.  Maybe mix it up with two of each.

Master of Signals on Rapiers is brilliant! They can even intercept airplanes then smile.png

I am just a bit unsure of you reach a critial mass where medusas simply are not that good - especially two barrages near eachother. Surely deadly if there is something to shoot, but if there isn't they are sitting doing nothing. But as they are priced similar to a Vindicator, it could be a changeable unit depending on what I feel when I get experience smile.png

Updated list: Actually it is possible to have both two medusas and a vindicator now.

Master of Signals - Power Weapon, Artificer Armour, Meltabomb (Rapier squad)

2 Apothecaries (Breacher and Despoiler squad)

20 Breacher Squad - 4 Gravity Guns, Combi-wpn, Artificer Armour, Legion Vexilla, Meltabomb

20 Despoiler Squad - CCW, Pistols, Legion Vexilla, Meltabomb

7 Support Squad - 6 Volakite Calivers

3 Rapier Battery - Laser Destroyers

1 Mortis Dreadnought - 2x TL-Lascannons

2 Medusas

1 Sicaran Battle Tank - Lascannon sponsors

Troops: 3

Elite: 3

Heavy: 3

Master of Signal won't really help for shooting at airplanes.  Even with his BS boost, he's still just boosting their normal BS to 5 - snap shots are always made with a BS of 1 per the BRB FAQ.  And the augury scanner only grants interceptor against models arriving via deep strike, so planes flying onto the table near them are also safe.  Mostly what he's doing is being a cheap HQ and offering your (already twin-linked) rapiers some additional accuracy to make sure they do their job, as well as bringing a nuncio vox for your medusas.  It may be better to put him in with your Volkite squad.

• 2 weeks later...

thought about an siege breaker? he gives wreker and tank hunter... going with anything with bigger guns and you got a nice anti tank option also your medusa has the option of phosphex

I will probably have more Centurins. I have made my Master of Signals, and I got a Moritat bits gathered, together with the start of my Legion Champion and Chief Apothecary. I will probably have one of each in the end :)

My Siegebreaker would probably be in a heavy support or iron support squad for maximal benefit, and I don't have that in my 2000pt list so far.

There's also the argument that artillery can't shoot at fliers (since artillery sorta-maybe can't snap shoot) Unless you agree beforehand it will damage a game if it comes up.

A vigilator might be a useful centurion. Use him to scout a squad out of deployment and give the unit stealth while having some slightly boosted shootiness

The time for capatilizing on the Iron Warrior rules is here :) A slightly modified list. The major changes are that no Vexilla is needed!

Warsmith Vehlen

15 Breacher Squad - 3 Meltaguns, Artificer Armour, Meltabomb

10 Tactical Squad - Bolters, Meltabomb, Nuncio-Vox

1 Rhino

10 Tactical Squad - Bolters, Meltabomb, Nuncio-Vox

1 Rhino

6 Support Squad - Volakite Calivers

3 Legion Rapiers - Laser Destroyers

1 Mortis Dreadnought - 2 TL-Lascannons

1 Sicarian Battle Tank - 3 Sharpel Heavy Bolters

1 Sicarian Battle Tank - 3 Sharpel Heavy Bolters

1 Medusa

47 Infantry

7 Tanks

Troops: 4

Elite: 2

Heavy: 4

The question is whether or not to switch focus from tank heavy to troop heavy. 3x15 tacticals which are harder to shift with the rite. But they are just not killy in any way, my analysis for Iron Warriors is to keep compulsory troops as cheap as possible, as they will not provide any killing power and 10man is already hard to shoot dead, because they won't run. They will avoid combat at all cost, and use Rhinos to force enemy infantry into terrain and kill-zones. If they kill the Rhinos they wasted fire-power to kill anything of worth. - Anything in HH is a big expensive units, so it is almost guranteed to be a extreame overkill if they decide to waste shots on a Rhino.

Instead the focus should be to provide a lot of ranged fire-power. Sicarians, Medusas, Rapiers, Dreadnoughts. The only reason i took the rite was to get an additional slot. I might want a Bastion to provide a 15 AP fire-sation, and with a Iron Havoc squad, or a ADL with 10man basic troops or support squad with calivers. I just don't know if it is worth it. So this will be a shiftable item, but both includes a heavy weapon squad and a fortifications which benefits from Vehlen's warlord trait.

I have been thinking of a

**Proteus with webs, including vehlen and 7 support squad with plasmaguns - Idea is to counter any deathstar terminator units.

**Standard Moritats to surprise shoot

**Thanatar Siege Enginee to add ordnance barrage

**Bastion+Iron Havocs+Vehlen buffs

**AFL+Support+Vehlen buffs

Have you thought about running the tacticals as a single 20-man tactical, which would be a lot cheaper than the 2x 10-man tacticals ?  This would allow you to modify the rest of the list slightly to include something you may wish to but couldn't afford it with the rhinos etc.  Obviously you could do this whether or not you go for your original idea, just a thought :)

Archived