Where & how to use Plasma Cannons

minigun762

No snapfire = no bueno. Scattering small blasts are also not very reliable except in higher numbers. With PCs new increased point cost, taking that many PCs, you're far better off taking LCs.

If you're playing a castle or gunline with something like a Skyshield or Bastion then I can see the merit, but the weapon is still only 36" and you're playing like this with C:SM of all things. It's like you want to auto-lose to IG, Tau, Eldar, etc.

I think I will leave the PC-type weapons to the armies that can pull it off better, or armies like Ultramarines putting them on Devastators.

I will say they have a devastating (hurr hurr hurr) statline. They are a high-risk, high-reward option that requires a good amount of set up to reap the payout. So yes, there will be people who swear by PCs. Just like there are people who swear by certain warlord traits or the psychic powers table. But consistency and reliability is always king. It's better to win 9/10 games than lose 5 or more games with every victory being a blowout. It's better to get a weapon that will always be able to fire and hit on BS4 than something that can scatter to hell and back and may not always fire.

I'm actually thinking how we can maximize plasma servitors last night...combining both from GK and SM.

Ok so here is it:

Primary: 2 units of warband henchmen from C:GK, Corteaz included of course, and another average inquisitor with nothing on him

Ally: 3 servitor units from S:CR, MotF, 2 techmarines as HQ (I don't have this book so correct me if I'm wrong)

Inquisition: 2 units of warband henchmen, two inquisitors with nothing on them.

So WOW that's 21 plasmas. With the help of servo skulls and the large number, sure they can do BIG damage, and the price is SO CHEAP! Also upgrading those inquisitors to psykers gives these hordors some nasty advantages. Don't forget add some meat wall for them, so when Taudar tried to shoot you you simply raise you shoulders and say "I don't care!"

If you fight campers camping last 12' area a lot maybe add some formations like storm wing or TWV or simply some drop pads.

First, you can't take Warbands from C:I if you take C:GK Coteaz, due to bad writing on GW.

But, you don't really want to.

If you have C:GK Coteaz, then just take two more Inquisitors from C:I and attach them to C:GK Warbands.  Same end result, but now these are scoring.

Don't have the prices for S:CR to hand, but the others would be (And adding in max Warriors for meat shield goodness);

C:GK;

HQ: Coteaz (100)

HQ: Inquisitor, PML1 (55)

Troop: Servitor x3, Plasma Cannon x3, Warrior x9 (96)

C:I;

Total: 649

For 12 Plasma Cannons, with rerolls To-Hit.  And 36 ablative meatshields.

First, you can't take Warbands from C:I if you take C:GK Coteaz, due to bad writing on GW.

But, you don't really want to.

If you have C:GK Coteaz, then just take two more Inquisitors from C:I and attach them to C:GK Warbands.  Same end result, but now these are scoring.

Don't have the prices for S:CR to hand, but the others would be (And adding in max Warriors for meat shield goodness);

C:GK;

HQ: Coteaz (100)

C:I;

Total: 649

For 12 Plasma Cannons, with rerolls To-Hit.  And 36 ablative meatshields.

Thanks for calculating. I don't feel like I need those Iron hand now! Maybe two Legion Auxilia (expendables, meat shields, whatever) units at full strength from Tyrant's Legion as ally, joined by Cypher (lol stealth shrouded H&R super Auxilia lol) and another by Cassius from TWV...and talon spam.

Firing danger close? I don't care! 

Plasma Cannons have always seemed like one of those weapons that seems amazing if you frequently play armies that Plasma Cannons are good against. If you frequently play Black Templar foot hordes or Grey Knight Strike Squad spam they knock yourself, plasma up! Aside from that (and inherent list tailoring that's difficult to avoid) I'm not sure Plasma Cannons are a particularly good all round option. The only place I could see one being useful is in a Tactical Squad as at least it meshes reasonably well with the Bolters optimum targets. Dev Squads seem much better off with Lascannons and besides that I'm sure you can better options in our rather packed Heavy Support options.

No snapfire = no bueno. Scattering small blasts are also not very reliable except in higher numbers. With PCs new increased point cost, taking that many PCs, you're far better off taking LCs.

Not sure why snapfire is a big deal. When you do move you get a 1/6 chance of hitting, whooooo. 

We'll as you have to take a hq and games can be won or lost by who gets slay the warlord, having a Libby sit back, behind a defence line or bastion, out of reach of most things isn't a bad tactic. I haven't got or read the inquisition supplement, so I don't know if it's cheaper then 65points a Libby costs, to get a inquisitor and the mandatory troop choice you would need to alley. With them.

If you do follow the suggestion of casting prescience (from whatever source) on your plasma cannons don't forget that having re-rolls to hit also allows you to re-roll gets hot results.

If you do follow the suggestion of casting prescience (from whatever source) on your plasma cannons don't forget that having re-rolls to hit also allows you to re-roll gets hot results.

Good point, that does massively mitigate the threat of overheats. 

What about a full plasma loadout on a tactical squad?

Plasma cannon, plasma gun and combi plasma

Could either keep it together to hold an objective or combat squad it up.

More like being cool but effective. Say, most of the time you put combi and plasma gun together, cannon at another, so in most cases, the combat squad with PC only fire that single plasma template, the rest just play meat shield, 14 points meat shields x4...not impressive.

The other squad must move very close to rapid fire their plasma gun and combi. And unless I play Taudar, I will charge that squad at any cost, so you spend 25 extra points for two more plasma shots, that's 1 additional wound...not impressive.

That's partly why I don't like tactical squad.

Infiltrating, deep striking and outflanking naughtiness generally means you do end up using the "meatshields" often. It's not always ideal but having solid backfield troops is important to have stamina in your lists.

• 2 weeks later...

My obliterators have had bad luck shooting their plasma cannons.  They get hot-and save it of course, but the Nasty stuff they were shooting at is uneffected because it didn't get to shoot because the Plasma Cannon "got hot".  It's some crap I say.

I have seen them used for mid range objective squads effectively. With a rhino you run a full plasma load out and then combat squad and stay in the rhino. Go flat out turn 1 to a mid field objective PC and 4 meat shields get out and get in cover. The CP and PG squad stays in and advances to rapid fire range. You get 3-4 turns of supporting fire out of the PC this way and its a distraction for the advancing rhino.

I know they are not the most popular chapter in terms of chapter tactics, but I find PCs work particularly well for Raven Guard from a tactical squad perspective. The first turn, you get to re-deploy before firing, allowing you to manuever them into more effective spots to mulch infantry depending on where your opponent deploys.

Barring that, I agree with commentary. One of my commonly used Tac Squads is a 10-man squad with a PC, Flamer, and Combi-Flamer. golly gee, I hear you cry.

Well, half of them go in the Razorback and the other half hang out in the backfield, and I find when splitting into 5-man groups, the PC is quite good with the campers. It's just threatening enough that nobody can ignore it, but not threatening enough that they really want to shoot at just one of them (even though, over several turns, it can often do quite a bit of damage).

I echo the comments about picking targets well. Light vehicles with large footprints, or large squads (or 40mm base squads) are best. Maximize your chance of hitting when only firing one, and ideally fire at a target you can wound. Double points if instead of RG, you are using Raptors, because then your bolter buddies all rend in the same squad, which helps with target synergy.

Well, half of them go in the Razorback and the other half hang out in the backfield, and I find when splitting into 5-man groups, the PC is quite good with the campers. It's just threatening enough that nobody can ignore it, but not threatening enough that they really want to shoot at just one of them (even though, over several turns, it can often do quite a bit of damage).

I echo the comments about picking targets well. Light vehicles with large footprints, or large squads (or 40mm base squads) are best. Maximize your chance of hitting when only firing one, and ideally fire at a target you can wound.

That's what I like about them as well. Compared to the equivalent costing missile launcher, I have more fear and respect for the PC even with it's shorter range, lack of snap shots and get hot.

Armoured sentinels with plasma cannons could be an option if you're not maxing IG slots on flyers, the main risk being only 2 HP gives the very real possibility of dying from overheats.

I run this combination fairly often, in a Rhino. As I see it, a tac squad has two main roles. The first is to sit on an objective and not die. The second is to close within 12" and rapid fire. In the first role any heavy weapon is for taking pot shots at the enemy. In the second, the heavy weapon is not useful in the critical rapid firing turn - but plasma and combi plasma maximize deadly closerange fire.

So if im defending with the squad, ill keep it in the Rhino for protection making shots of opportunity with the plasma cannon. Ill only dismount to take the objective late in tge game, or if the rnemy close, i'll disembark and rapid fire.

On the attack, i try to drive up, disembark and let loose 4 plssma shots. If the squad survives and remains stationary, the pc makes an excellent follow on.

But all heavy weapons suffer this move or shoot dilemna. I never stay still to fire the heavy if moving is more advantageous anyway. The pc is a good allround weapon, costs no more than a ml, andand ap 2 blasy is worth giving up snap fire.

What about a full plasma loadout on a tactical squad?

Plasma cannon, plasma gun and combi plasma

Could either keep it together to hold an objective or combat squad it up.

More like being cool but effective. Say, most of the time you put combi and plasma gun together, cannon at another, so in most cases, the combat squad with PC only fire that single plasma template, the rest just play meat shield, 14 points meat shields x4...not impressive.

The other squad must move very close to rapid fire their plasma gun and combi. And unless I play Taudar, I will charge that squad at any cost, so you spend 25 extra points for two more plasma shots, that's 1 additional wound...not impressive.

That's partly why I don't like tactical squad.

Archived