Where & how to use Plasma Cannons

minigun762

No snapfire = no bueno. Scattering small blasts are also not very reliable except in higher numbers. With PCs new increased point cost, taking that many PCs, you're far better off taking LCs.

Not sure why snapfire is a big deal. When you do move you get a 1/6 chance of hitting, whooooo. 

Unfortunately, you can't snap fire with blast or template weapons, so there's the problem with the plasma cannons.

I play 2 5-man Tactical squads in my 1000pts army each armed with a combi-plasma and a lascannon, the thinking behind it is needing the lascannon from range to cripple enemy transports. I can position them to an advantageous fire position thanks to Raven Guard Chapter Tactics and still get to shoot them the first turn !

The problem I have with them is that in all games, over the course of the entire battle, they only made 1 critical shots that immobilized an enemy vehicle (a critical one though) on the first turn, and then every other shot did nada.

I think I am going to trade them for Plasma Cannons, for several reasons :

1) They synchronize better with the rest of the squad's weapons.

2) 36" range is less of a problem with the Scout move forward

3) They are 10 points cheaper for 2 of them (woohoo !), so I can bring another Tactical squad instead of my scouts !

4) The scatter die is a risk I'm willing to take. Overall, it's going to miss a few times, but each time it hits and even each time it misses, it has a nasty chance to kill infantry, rather than missing the possibility for a one

5) I have enough meltas to take care of threatening vehicles, and I like the odds of a 4+ explosion better than a 5+ and 2 dices to ensure a penetrating hit :D

Lascannons work wonders with higher numbers of them anyways, 2 is clearly unsufficient !

What about a full plasma loadout on a tactical squad?

Plasma cannon, plasma gun and combi plasma

Could either keep it together to hold an objective or combat squad it up.

i agree with hallodx. paying for extra plasma shots for a tact squad is inefficient, but cool.

i usually run it PC and flamer for tact squad. if i have spare points i would put a combi-flamer or combi-melta for sergeant.

What about a full plasma loadout on a tactical squad?

Plasma cannon, plasma gun and combi plasma

Could either keep it together to hold an objective or combat squad it up.

i agree with hallodx. paying for extra plasma shots for a tact squad is inefficient, but cool.

i usually run it PC and flamer for tact squad. if i have spare points i would put a combi-flamer or combi-melta for sergeant.

I'm going for the full plasma on my Tactical squads, with the meltas reserved for more elite troops like the sternguards. I like the plasma because it is an all comers !

When I will expend my army, I will probably go for a Lascannon/melta/combi-melta squad, just to have that extra AT power

Archived