Hotshot Volleyguns

L30n1d4s

With the recent rumors about the new Scions being out, I am particularly interested in the Hotshot Volley guns that are now available as Special Weapons for Stormtroopers.

Stats I have seen say they are S4 AP3 Salvo 2/4, 24" range.

That is quite impressive, especially if they squad can use the 4 shot option by standing still or getting Relentless (i.e. Endurance power from Biomancy). It also makes for a great "seize the objective and hold it as a fire base" type squad, since Stormtroopers/Scions still have the Deep Strike rule.

...still only S3...four shots...8/3 hits...8/9 wounds...less than one dead MEQ. Plasma is 5/9 dead MEQs at long range (but can kill a vehicle), 10/9 at short range, 25% better than 8/9. The question is, is that, in combination with S7 being useful against tanks and high-T and TEQ models, worth 'gets hot?' I say yes...plasma for me!

...still only S3...four shots...8/3 hits...8/9 wounds...less than one dead MEQ. Plasma is 5/9 dead MEQs at long range (but can kill a vehicle), 10/9 at short range, 25% better than 8/9. The question is, is that, in combination with S7 being useful against tanks and high-T and TEQ models, worth 'gets hot?' I say yes...plasma for me!

Pretty sure rumors are str 4. Which puts the wounds at 4/3 which is 12/9 or 20% better than a plasma gun at killing MEQ. More shots also means pychic powers that improve shooting will make a bigger difference in percentages. Then there is just the fact that you have more dice, so luck could bless you and lead to much higher numbers.

It's S4, not a rumor.

Four guns in a command squad, at long range kill 5.3 marines without cover/inv.

Four plasma guns kill 2.2 marines without cover/inv, at +50% points cost. Also comes with a 33% chance of overheating one of your nearly-30-point-weapon. Even at short range they still only ace 4.4 marines, and a 136% chance of overheating once.

In equal points situations (6 volley guns to 4 plasma guns) you're acing 8 marines to the plasma's 2.2 still. It's going to be the volley gun every time for me. Why waste all that AP3 shooting at vehicles?

Volleygun does sound nice.

The plasma gun does over something else. Versatality. Which means you can use it for other stuff in a pinch, which has a value. But in an IG list, where oftenly there are enough guns, i doubt there is need for such flexibility, if you can just take more guns.

I'd take them if I could get four of them in a command squad...but it sounds like that's not an option?  In that case, I'm back in the plasma camp, the rest of the squad's hellguns will have to do the marine-killing, I want my S7 and AP2 to add an additional capability to the squad.

Archived