6E Stormtroopers (Scions are the new black)

Seahawk

With the rules presented in White Dwarf Issue 9, we now have all the rules for new units that will be presented in Militarum Tempestus (unless some other special rules exist somewhere, which is entirely possible). If that's the case, I'll update this thread.

Stormtroopers seem to have been entirely replaced by the Scions line of models; considering the similarities in rules, it looks like that's the case. Since the poor old Stormtrooper hasn't received much attention in this edition, let's see if the new line is worth looking into!

5E Stormtroopers vs 6E Militarum Tempestus Platoon

5E Stormtroopers

- Elites slot.

- Single squad of 5-10 models.

- Start at 85 and go up to 175.

- Have pistol/close combat weapons.

- Have access to two special weapons, plus sergeant options.

- Have Deep Strike and can choose one three sets of special rules (Scout/Move Through Cover, Reroll Deep Strike, Infiltrate/pinning).

- Cannot receive orders.

6E Platoon

- Elites slot.

- 1-3 squads of 5-10 models, plus up to 1 command squad.

- Start at 70 and go up to 130.

- Do NOT have pistol/close combat weapons.

- Have access to two special weapons, plus sergeant options (plasma pistol/power sword slightly more expensive, power fist 2.5x more expensive.

- Have Deep Strike and Move Through Cover, but nothing else.

- Can take voxes and receive Militarum Tempestus orders (only when in MT detachments).

- Command Squad

--> May take a standard medic, banner, and vox.

--> May instead take up to four special weapons.

So that's the side-by-side comparison. It looks like stormtroopers are getting cheaper, but they're losing out on quite a bit of filler. No second attack in CC, no special rules, sergeant options increase in points rather heavily.

Despite that, the gains are also strong. Now you can have unit groups in every FOC slot except HQ: Scion platoons, IG platoons, and Fast Attack/Heavy Support squadrons. This potentially allows you to take up to 105 Stormtroopers in a standard Imperial Guard army. They gained the new Hot Shot Volley Gun, which is nice for camping squads (especially a command squad in a chimera/taurox!) At four shots each (when not moving), they can really dish out the anti-MEq damage, and without risk for overheating and dying.

For now, I'm excited to be able to use more of my stormtroopers, both because they take up fewer FOC slots, and because they're much cheaper (except for Sergeant upgades). I'm bummed they lost their special mission rules, as they have lost much utility without them. We'll see how they perform in the near future.

You forgot that the regular guys are no longer trusted with either frag or krak grenades, with no option to purchase. Apparently the best trained forces in the imperium can't figure out how to pull a pin until OCS. wallbash.gif

Herp Derp, thats a pretty bad bit of rules oversight. You don't get to call yourself 'Elite' If you forgot your frags at home.

You forgot that the regular guys are no longer trusted with either frag or krak grenades, with no option to purchase. Apparently the best trained forces in the imperium can't figure out how to pull a pin until OCS. wallbash.gif

It clearly says that all members have frag/krak grenades. What version are you reading?

It says:

- Carapace Armor

- Hot-shot lasgun (Tempestus Scion only)

- Hot-shot laspistol (Tempestor only)

- Close combat weapon (Tempestor only)

- Frak Grenades

- Krak Grenades

The GW site says you can have a full army of these guys? Does that mean if these are your main detachment they count as troops instead? And then, like with the knights, you can allie in normal guard for additional support?

Interresting regardless.

Codex: militarum tempestus stands seperate from the Imperial guard.

to quote the GW webstore:

Codex: Militarum Tempestus

For the first time, the Scions of the Schola Progenium grace the pages of their very own Codex - exclusively available here!

I'm not seeing loosing the pistol/ CCW combo as an issue. Assault is better served in mass by basic guardsmen.

Stormies don't want to be in combat, no, but when you're close to the enemy and have mean guns it often finds you. The extra attack along with carapace makes Stormies fairly handy in a fight.

I personally like the hot-shot-volleygun, but am thinking of running PGs or Meltas instead. I don't see these guys camping where salvo works wonders. The only thing that may change my mind would be if the orders boost it (which will most likely. happen).

Ah-churz....Loose!

I don't even know what you just said. But sure why not.

Historically, for me, My guardsmen have murdered all sorts of stuff in that Vicious swirling melee. So I feel I know a thing or two.

But then I am only thinking about these Scyions as a potential Allie, And would do my beastly best to keep them shooting!

Ah-churz....Loose!

I don't even know what you just said. But sure why not.

Historically, for me, My guardsmen have murdered all sorts of stuff in that Vicious swirling melee. So I feel I know a thing or two.

But then I am only thinking about these Scyions as a potential Allie, And would do my beastly best to keep them shooting!

"Archers, release arrows!"

Because you don't fire an arrow, you shoot it. The command is 'Loose!' in English.

Most jarring moment of Helm's Deep in LoTR is Aragorn yelling "Release arrows!" correctly in Elvish, then "Fire!" in English, when they don't even have blackpowder weapons to have created the word 'fire' to mean 'shoot them!' in Middle Earth.

Well, my bad. 

I thought he was trying to spell out a sneeze or something like that. Maybe having a epileptic fit. It could have been anything.

As for the ccw/pistols though.If your not able to set up a combat you feel you can win. Then avoid combat.

Being human, they can only do so much. So set your expectations accordingly. 

It clearly says that all members have frag/krak grenades. What version are you reading?

It says:

- Carapace Armor

- Hot-shot lasgun (Tempestus Scion only)

- Hot-shot laspistol (Tempestor only)

- Close combat weapon (Tempestor only)

- Frak Grenades

- Krak Grenades

Ok, rereading it, I've changed my complaint to the fact that their copy-editor needs to be fired.

I assumed that, like the current codex, each line was a piece of equipment and the restrictions were listed before the respective piece of equipment.

See: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dPeCelDp8JI/UzhrHG4cFdI/AAAAAAAAkwY/FDM0YoRScSQ/s1600/SnapShot%2528592%2529.jpg

I feel a little better about them now, though the robbing of the pistol/ccw on the regular guys still frustrates me. I've won a couple games on a stormtrooper charge that cleared an objective.

I'm actually going to really miss those pistols. My stormtroopers end up in melee too often but the extra attack or ten really helps out. Plus, the pistol means that I can still shoot a bunch on the way in. Really helps to ensure that you finish off a Space Marine squad and might even take you out of shooting for the enemy turn. Guess I don't have any more reason to take melee upgrades on the sergeant.

Archived