heavy weapons team base size

march10k

So my guard are all metal cadians, which means that the heavy weapons teams were originally two one-wound models, now they're a single two-wound model...I've been using my loaders as "wound counters" for the second wound in the same manner as WFB artillery crewmen, but since I don't buy plastic guardsmen, I'm not really sure if the main model is on the proper base size...are heavy weapons teams on 40mm bases, or are they larger than that?

• 2 weeks later...

Hendrik,

First of all, that's disputed.  The rule, as written, is interpreted by many to presuppose that the model is still being sold by GW, since it uses the present tense instead of the past tense.  Your own post uses the past tense, adding weight to the argument...I won't unpack that whole debate here, though, because it has zero relevance to my problem.  The heavy weapons from the old metal cadian set didn't come with a base!!! Actually, I only know for sure that that's true of the heavy bolters and autocannons, because I just opened two autocannon blisters to check.  The missile launchers, mortars, and lascannons might have had bases, but they would have been three different sizes, 25mm (or maybe horse bases?) for missiles, 40mm for mortars, and dreadnought-sized for lascannons.  How's that for standardization?  Base size just wasn't important to the game back then, so even if we had a base size for every model, which we don't, the inconsistency would certainly be problematic for many players and most tournament organizers.  To avoid all of that, I prefer to follow the rule of "what is today's version of the unit based on?"  That pleases one crowd without angering the other.

In the meantime, a new codex is about to drop, and some leaks I've seen suggest that the heavy weapons team might go back to being two one-wound models.  Or at least the leaks don't seem to specify that a weapons team is a single model with two wounds...perhaps nothing did change and I just haven't seen enough of the dex...

That's an awful lot of non-rule-following opinion! :D

My metal Cadians are on their separate 25s, and that's the way they'll stay. Nobody has complained (over multiple editions).

They don't work on 60's because they don't fit in any terrain. They don't have LoS at all when on the 2nd floor or higher. Etc, etc...it's the single biggest gripe I've ever had about a base size change.

Mine are mostly on 40s, with the "second wound" loader as a completely separate model...It occurs to me to wonder how many people don't complain because they just don't know what "right" looks like?  You probably would get a lot of complaints if you put your lascannons on 60s, mortars on 40s, missiles on horse bases, and autocannons and heavy bolters on no base at all...no?  

Oh, we have a die-hard IG player, and we all know what modern models look like. We're all just perfectly content with the models as is. I only have rockets and autocannons anyway.

Archived