Wheels for the Taurox

-Volsung-

So it seems clear to me that the Taurox is inspired by (and can be converted into) the World-War-2-style halftracks.

My question, while a little early, is if anybody know which model would provide wheels big enough to fit the Taurox model and replace either the front track, the rear track, or both?

(note: the rear tracks seems bigger than the front tracks. Not sure if this means larger wheels would have to be used in the rear)

So far, the only kit I can imagine is the Ork Trukk or BattleWagon wheels.

Btw- Anyone noticed the driver in the interior of the front seats is located on the right-side and not the left-side?
*shakes his American head disapprovingly* sleep.png

Zinge Industries might (and I emphasise *might*) do wheels that would be suitable. My personal take on the conversion would be to make the thing a half-track.

Btw- Anyone noticed the driver in the interior of the front seats is located on the right-side and not the left-side?

*shakes his American head disapprovingly* sleep.png

British company, British rules of the road. ^_^

I have a couple of wheeled Chimeras made with the Chapterhouse kit.  I plan to get a Taurox and compare them side by side.  If the wheels look to be the right size then I may do a conversion.  Chapterhouse sells the wheels separately

If you are thinking Ork wheels the truk has larger wheels in the rear(about the same as battle wagon front wheels) and smaller in the front. also the plates covering the geared hubs aren't all the same. some use more bolts and some are reverse threaded.

I'm thinking of the Half-track as well, probably without the autocannon turret that makes it look awfully unbalanced and front-heavy.

I might throw in the pintle-mounted Heavy Stubber to give it that nice 50-cal mounted WW2 Allies half-track look.

If not inconvenient, please post pics of the Chapterhouse wheels in comparison with the smaller front Track if possible! happy.png

I think the Ork wheels may be too small (aside from maybe looking too Orky) as the Taurox's tracks are pretty tall. If you check the pictures you can see the workings underneath come pretty low too so in order to make that look right you'd need a larger wheel?

You can get wheels for military scale models separately. Looking around in the toy aisle in a shop might be worth trying too. You might find a toy you can the wheels of and maybe even use the rest of it for scenery.

Ramshackle might have something that fits (I have no idea how big the Taurox is), they are fairly cheap and the quality is decent, bought some of their tracks and wheels for my orks. Might even be able to change the, in my opinion, rather boring tracks of the Taurox for something a little more interesting from their catalouge.

And while I realize this is not really what you asked for, I still think it's worth pointing out since I they look much better to me than the GW kit: Dave Taylor's Ork Trukk conversions. He 'unlooted' them for his IG and they look great. Here are the Links: One, Two, Three.

I will post picks of it when I get the chance,and  I really do like what, Dave did with that truk. My wagon was waiting for a trailer as soon ,as I could design one that would look good. I used it as a objective marker.

I thought that first one was a real picture for a moment! I like the tracks and extra gubbins on it, looks like it has been in the field working hard for your Guardsmen smile.png

Thank you, it goes quite well with the mechanized force,I will post later ,maybe a thread.

I have Chapterhouse wheels, which are too large in diameter to fit the front of the Taurox. They'll make the model too high imo. At 25mm diameter they are the same height as the rear tracks but the hull would have to be extended about 3/4" aft to get a pair of them in the rear track position. A single CH wheel at the rear and a smaller front wheel should look OK with the stock model. 

For the front wheels I did a websearch and ordered a set of resin wheels that are 22mm in height and 12mm thick. They match the height and width of the front tracks of the Taurox. Other than different hubs they are a close enough match to the CH wheels. The wheels are from a Polish company (Bitspudio.com) and sold in sets of 6. I should receive them in a few weeks.

I'm going to extend the hull 3/8" at the rear, which makes the model look less stubby, fit the 22mm front wheels and modify the rear tracks by cutting off the armour plates on top and using the track pieces from the forward tracks to fit the track all around the rear track frames. 

The stock Taurox body in half-track or 4 wheel configuration will make a good gun tractor for my FW wheeled mortars. With the hull extended 3/8" at the rear it'll be used as a transport and as an ammo carrier for my 8-wheeled Earthshaker truck scratchbuild.

Archived