Sororitas novels thoughts?

For a couple of reasons (not that one grow up), recently, I've found my self reading up more and more on the Adeptas Saroritas (which I am potentially spelling wrong) recently. I've listened to Red and Black and loved it the novels are on my 'to buy' list but they are quite far down was just wondering if any of you had read them and could sing their praises, or, tell me I'm better off waiting? Also would we like to see them appear in more other titles/formats? I never got round to playing DoW Soul Storm for example are they equally awesome in that?

I have read Faith and FIre and I must say it is quite a good read. Very action packed with an interesting antagonist. THat said, I do Swallow failed to correctly portray the power level of Soritas, who really are on par with the most elite Storm Troopers (Scions now?) and even Astartes. Still it was a good representation of them and a quality read.

Though they aren't a huge factor, the Soritas do get involved is the second Soul Drinkers novel and are made to be quite badass. That's a series in general I think is worth a try

Soulstorm is best forgotten for a whole host of reasons. However, I really enjoyed both Faith & Fire along with Hammer & Anvil.

If you want more general fluff about them might I suggest checking out the Ciaphas Cain series, both because it is good in and of itself and because at various times it touches upon the Sisters of Battle themselves and how they are viewed by the Imperial Guard.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll second the recommendation of Deamonifuge. There is quite a bit of the "Mary Sue" troupe with the central character Stern, but I think it evens it out by characterizing her incredibly well. You may not believe everything she does, but you will believer her

blood of asaheim has an.... interesting portrayal of sororitas, a good read and they are pretty badass in it. The main protagonists are the space wolves in that, but the sisters are a major part of the plot

Miriya is a maverick veteran with an attitude!!! who don't no listen to no order. (ORIGINAL CHARCTER DONT STEEL) Nobody could have possibly expected the sole and unique reason the Adepta Sororitas wins in any of these books is because of this totally not overdone FIGHT THE POWER trope. She gets a most righteous slap on the wrist at the end of the first novel and suffers the horrible punishment of being demoted in a military institution that answers to most intern problems with repentiafication and death, and she then travels to the other side of the galaxy with her totally-not-my-girfriend to get yelled at by her new canoness' second-in-command, to the point of a totally not hilarious 'WHY DO YOU HATE ME DDDDD:' moment in the middle of a necron attack.

Verity is your classical vague pacifist in THE GREEM DARKNUSS OF THE FAR FOOTOOR, tempering standard 'kill everything and then kill them some more' sister protocol with her pure heart of sunshine, rainbows and unicorn farts.

Each antagonist is more interesting than all the lead Sororitas characters combined. That said, I love that twist at the end of Faith and Fire. As well as that other one in Hammer and Anvil, however predictable that was. Well, the predictable one without foreshadowing at least.

The second-in-command always dies.

^^ This ^^

Both of Swallow's Sororitas works are good action reads, but suffer a bit from slightly silly (dare I say trope-y) characterizations. 

To be slightly less cynical, I found the writing itself - the narration - easy to read. I don't actually remember anything good, but I don't remember anything bad either, which is more than I can say about the Tome of Fire's theme overdose that made the last two books a trudge. I did like learning that some planets required a license to read, though. And I love this mantra: 'Fear is the enemy of hope. Hope is the foundation of faith. Faith is the weapon to kill fear.'

That said, it still pales in comparison to Dark Apostle's "Watch out for your nemesis, Burias. Fear the dreaded Chimera." laugh.png

ADBs Helsreach has a short sister cameo, but the 90+ year old granny sister toting a Boltgun is pretty cool imagining.

They just need an author that doesn't make them look like cannon fodder *coughWardcoughcough*, or valley girls, or even the annoying sororstitutes that I go to college with. They need to be some good old brainwashed shoot first, questions later kinda girls. Or even like those badass Russian woman fighters/snipers from America saves everyone's bacon part 2 (also known as WWII).

It might be nice to let Sarah Cawkwell take a swing at them as she's an excellent writer and can hopefully avoid most male tropes of sci fi females.

ADBs Helsreach has a short sister cameo, but the 90+ year old granny sister toting a Boltgun is pretty cool imagining.

They just need an author that doesn't make them look like cannon fodder *coughWardcoughcough*, or valley girls, or even the annoying sororstitutes that I go to college with. They need to be some good old brainwashed shoot first, questions later kinda girls. Or even like those badass Russian woman fighters/snipers from America saves everyone's bacon part 2 (also known as WWII).

It might be nice to let Sarah Cawkwell take a swing at them as she's an excellent writer and can hopefully avoid most male tropes of sci fi females.

I really hope that is scarcasm brother otherwise I fear you need to be secluded within the Chapel until you have a better grasp of history ;)

I do know what you mean about a female author though. It's not that men can't write women but some times we have a tendancey to slip into unnessesary descriptions of their appearance or neglect characterisation in favour of almost characituring them as 'hot girls with guns.'

I have read Faith and FIre and I must say it is quite a good read. Very action packed with an interesting antagonist. THat said, I do Swallow failed to correctly portray the power level of Soritas, who really are on par with the most elite Storm Troopers (Scions now?) and even Astartes. 

On par with Astartes? Sure, they've got bolters, power armour and brainwashing, but aren't they physically normal humans? In close combat at least Space Marines would go through them like a chainsword through butter.

Maybe not physically on par, but martially on par. In some older fluff Sisters were used as kill teams to deal with rogue marines, so they had to be reasonably good fighters. And the fact they have power armor really helps them in close combat situations

Sisters appear in a collection of pace marine short stories I read recently they were hunting down a couple of fleshtears who were suffering from the black rage.  They also get a number of unflattering comments in the Ciaphas Canin series and a group of novices appear in one of the novels.

Sisters appear in a collection of pace marine short stories I read recently they were hunting down a couple of fleshtears who were suffering from the black rage.  They also get a number of unflattering comments in the Ciaphas Canin series and a group of novices appear in one of the novels.

Yeah the good old flesh tearers at Gaius point. That story is what made me start a flesh tearer army :D they are one of the only space marine chapters to make orks run away in fear and try to kill each other to run away.

The sisters there wisely vote to run away and not risk fighting their allies (they would've gotten brutally killed anyway).

I really hope that is scarcasm brother otherwise I fear you need to be secluded within the Chapel until you have a better grasp of history ;)

I do know what you mean about a female author though. It's not that men can't write women but some times we have a tendancey to slip into unnessesary descriptions of their appearance or neglect characterisation in favour of almost characituring them as 'hot girls with guns.'

A little bit of sarcasm...but you know it's true :P that's ok as the world is pissed at us anyway for being the police and trying to help out nations brutalized by their leaders (though we've supported a few in the name of anti communism, thanks McCarthy :D)

Back to the game, I didn't mean that all men are bad at writing women, it's just that they are few and far between (ADB and Abnett do wonderful jobs). Either they get depicted as total badarses or complete wimps - not too much middle ground unfortunately.

Now while I've had some cringeworthy reading moments of women depicting men (I physically wince because they depict men as either hot guy #1, hot guy #2, or the dad. Plus they tend to make men waaaaay more emotional then we are in real life IMHO) I think that they do a good job of depicting "average women."

I've seen my fair share of scary USMC women...they tend not to be too "girly"...but I never mention that around them as I value the integrity of my bone structure lol

On par with Astartes? Sure, they've got bolters, power armour and brainwashing, but aren't they physically normal humans? In close combat at least Space Marines would go through them like a chainsword through butter.

Do space marines have so much faith in the Emperor that they get an invuln save from it? No? It's clear who the Emperor loves more, anyway...

Sisters appear in a collection of pace marine short stories I read recently they were hunting down a couple of fleshtears who were suffering from the black rage. They also get a number of unflattering comments in the Ciaphas Canin series and a group of novices appear in one of the novels.

Yeah the good old flesh tearers at Gaius point. That story is what made me start a flesh tearer army biggrin.png they are one of the only space marine chapters to make orks run away in fear and try to kill each other to run away.

The sisters there wisely vote to run away and not risk fighting their allies (they would've gotten brutally killed anyway).

A little bit of sarcasm...but you know it's true tongue.png that's ok as the world is pissed at us anyway for being the police and trying to help out nations brutalized by their leaders (though we've supported a few in the name of anti communism, thanks McCarthy biggrin.png)

Back to the game, I didn't mean that all men are bad at writing women, it's just that they are few and far between (ADB and Abnett do wonderful jobs). Either they get depicted as total badarses or complete wimps - not too much middle ground unfortunately.

Now while I've had some cringeworthy reading moments of women depicting men (I physically wince because they depict men as either hot guy #1, hot guy #2, or the dad. Plus they tend to make men waaaaay more emotional then we are in real life IMHO) I think that they do a good job of depicting "average women."

I've seen my fair share of scary USMC women...they tend not to be too "girly"...but I never mention that around them as I value the integrity of my bone structure lol

Have you listened to Blood in the Machine? Literally rhe first minute of introduction you get to Gabrial Seth is him throttling and ork and promising to 'kill a hundred of its FILTH BREED before it's blood has dried on his gauntlets!' Even just listening to that section I think the zenos were right to run! He is clearly one of the more badass Chapter Masters in M41.

Oh yeah Lotara Sarrin is one of the best women I've ever read, ever!

Oh yeah I agree completely. Aha Yep I know what you're saying there I've spoken to a few millitary women (I come from a town with a barracks down the road) they can be absolutly stunning dressed up for a night out BUT there is still that hardness of character that only someone who has seen some sh*t has. I also learned the hard way that they will use their feminity to lure you into an arm wrestle you have no chance of winning! The sisters really need an author that can balance their nature as warriors with their gender without over egging either side of it mix.

Do space marines have so much faith in the Emperor that they get an invuln save from it? No? It's clear who the Emperor loves more, anyway...

The Emperor hated it when people considered him a god and worshipped him. The Sororitas consider him a god. Most Astartes chapters do not. From that we can probably draw a conclusion as to which institution he'd like more.

or even the annoying sororstitutes that I go to college with.

I feel like this is operator error on your part.I always had a positive experience with the sorority girls in college. ;)

Lol I have good experiences especially befitting myself as a frat guy. The problem is when they start having feelings and bother me when I'm trying to play with my little plastic dudesmen.

Many a time have I brought a woman back to the bro pad and heard, "Oh you paint those little men?! That's so cute! I didn't know you were artistic!"

It's so hard these days trying to maintain a reputation of a beer swilling smartarse with political connections. Alas.

The big problem, unless someone already mentioned it, is inconsistency.

The Space Marines vary wildly in character and nature but all authors write them in the "General Badassery" category, whereas the Sororitas vary wildly from mere cannon fodder to "Ok, now THAT was cool".

The Emperor hated it when people considered him a god and worshipped him. The Sororitas consider him a god. Most Astartes chapters do not. From that we can probably draw a conclusion as to which institution he'd like more.

Yep. The six women and the orders they founded directly after meeting Him. The Emperor had different priorities before he got shanked by his favorite space marine.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived