DKoK: Griffons, Heavy Mortars or Quad Launchers?

Selleck

Of course I need some kind of (light) artillery to my Death Korps army: but what kind?

Griffons are more expensive but better protected.

Heavy Mortars are cheaper, but more vulnerable.

Quad Launchers are cheap and vulnerable like Mortars, but fire more, but weaker shots.

Personally, I considering a couple of Griffons and 4 Heavy Mortars. (Their tasks will be to support 1-2 Medusas).

But again, I get many more shots with the Quad Launchers. What to choose?

I'm not a Krieger, but I think Griffons are good artillery pieces and will mess up most infantry they shoot at. It might help others if you provide a bit more information, for example what the rest of your list looks like. Otherwise people can only offer their preferences which might not be of much use!

First off, are you running a siege list or an assault brigade? You may want to look into the latter (Imperial Armour 12) since they have access to Carcass Shells which would give your heavy mortar and griffon shred, ignores cover, and gets hot.

I would go with Griffons if you have other chimera chassis in your army (i.e. Hydras, Basilisks) or even if you have other vehicles for target saturation. If your list is more pure infantry, then I would go with heavy mortars or thudd guns. With assault brigade and access to carcass shells, I would say definitely go with the mortar option. If siege I think it's really up to you whether you want more low quality shots or fewer higher quality shots.

The list is in large part built around:

Command Squad

Quartermaster (in Centaur)

2 x Platoon Command Squads

4 x Infantry Squads (with flamers)

(Maybe a squad of Engineers with a Hades, or a squad of Grenadiers)

Leman Russ tank

Medusa artillery

A flyver, maybe a Avenger or a Vulture

First off, are you running a siege list or an assault brigade?

I think that I prefer the Assault list.

Given the Leman Russ and the Medusa already in your list, and if you're going assault brigade, I would say take the Griffon. It's an Elite choice in the assault brigade list, so it won't interfere with the three heavy support choices you already have. Grenadiers are also troops in assault brigade.

Archived