best armoured sentinel loadout from new codex?

irwit

Hi all 

So the new codex is about to drop and we have a sneak peak at updated rules for the armoured sentinel.  

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/astra-militarum-unit-list-leak.html

So 40pts base with options for lascannon,  plasma, missile launcher,   autocannon  heavy flamer or standard with multi laser.

What do people reccomend as a load out?   Ive always liked these models and looks like a good excuse to get some but Im not sure how to arm them? 

As they are quite fragile I feel they need something with good range so autocannon or lascannon?   

hi everyone 

on sunday i managed to pick up a very small imperial guard pattrol party at a garage sale, and i must say i really like sentinels they have a very star wars AT ST look to them and i like it so i was thinking of putting together a small scout force and wanted to include a few of them so what would be the best way to equip them? do imperial guard have other troop choice than foot soldiers? what would be the best choice? 

I've been throwing my Armored Sentinels against Infantry and not vehicles (we have better for the latter) - so Heavy Flamer for me.

Otherwise, I'd use an IA: Drop Sentinel with MM.

This could all be invalidated with the new codex, but Sentinels are pretty useful as a support unit. They're fragile but mobile, and can work very well with infantry as mobile heavy weaponry and combat support if required. Scout Sentinels can outflank which is extremely useful as it can let even dirt cheap ones become a thorn in the enemy's side, taking out backfield units and generally making a nuisance of themselves.

Armoured Sentinels are perhaps less useful, but as part of a well mechanised list they're better than Scouts running in tandem with infantry or stomping around your deployment area offering long ranged fire power. They naturally work best with Chimeras too, the key to all Sentinels is to have them in number sort of like the vehicle version of Guardsmen. They also work well with the other options in the Fast Attack slot, such as Hellhounds as you can build a mobile army that way and start to dictate the flow of the game.

They can take a nice variety of weaponry so it's really more of a case of what you fancy or need. Heavy flamers can be nasty, especially on outflanking Sentinels and I've always liked the classic autocannon. Regarding the new codex we've heard little about them other than the Extra Armour on Armoured Sentinels is no longer mandatory which is welcome.

Edit: seems I spoke too soon, looks like a very welcome points drop across the board for Sentinels! :D

Haha! Look who's laughing even more, fools who said Sentinels are rubbish! laugh.png This points drop is very nice indeed, I shall be adding some Sentinels to my ETL list when I order my stuff. It's a great kit to assemble and paint too - praise the Emprah!

I like my Scout Sentinels cheap and outflanking, heavy flamers can be fantastic here but I also like autocannons for some side and rear armour shots. My Armoured Sentinels like to stalk my deployment zone freeming with Lascannons or moving up with infantry surges as support. However with these changes to prices I think the weapon variety is even better now, as the reduced costs mean there's less of a poor choice and more of a "what do you need?".

If you can still take them in squadrons of three (not sure) then three scout sentinels with heavy flamers are cheap and very scary to everything without power armour, plus very flexible for contesting, tarpitting, blocking movement/charges etc

I'm guessing orders still can't be issued to them...?

That might help alleviate BS3 on a lascannon. It does, as Hendrik said, make plasma attractive...

Plasma sentinels or servitors though...the latter could receive orders, no?

Looks like the reason for the 15 pt drop is that the "extra armor" wargear (count stunned as shaken, which costs 15 pts) no longer comes standard.  Frankly, until I compaired the 2 entries I didnt realize the old armored sentinels even had that.  Never once used that rule so i guess I wont much miss it.

Looks like the reason for the 15 pt drop is that the "extra armor" wargear (count stunned as shaken, which costs 15 pts) no longer comes standard.  Frankly, until I compaired the 2 entries I didnt realize the old armored sentinels even had that.  Never once used that rule so i guess I wont much miss it.

If they get Pen'ed they die anyway.  So its not that big of a loss I would think.

Also:  They can't take orders, but can get all get prescience buffed by a single cast right?

Scout sentinels haven't changed price from what I have read,  find out tomorrow I guess.    If they havent changed price then I would definately go with the armoured sentinel.   Normal sentinels will drop to bolter fire so it is an extremely fragile unit really.  

Also you could really bog down a unit in combat with that av12.   Shame the scouting sentinels havent dropped in price too as that would of been a great unit for maybe 25 or 30 points with heavy flamers. 

Scout Sentinels haven't changed in base cost, but their weapon upgrades have dropped :) Don't forget that Scouts get the Scout and Move Through Cover USRs too, so they're still very useful. Outflanking heavy flamers are nothing to sniff at, nor Multi-lasers as march said.

I remember scout sentinels with searchlights, being good if night fight is in effect Turn One:

You -rather than outflanking them- deploy them as far forward as possible then scout them forward and light up the enemy's juicy targets...for the rest of your army to drop the real ordnance onto. biggrin.png

Archived