Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2025 at 7:19 PM, Firedrake Cordova said:

They look great, and the bases are really nice, too :smile: 

 

On 7/3/2025 at 2:09 AM, Tallarn Commander said:

Excellent conversions. And using Mieville’s Perdido Street Station as an inspiration is brilliant!

 

On 7/9/2025 at 6:21 AM, Dr_Ruminahui said:

Yeah, those are great, and the world of Perdido Street Station is great inspiration - utterly terrifying in a very 40K way (so much so that I was unable to finish it).

 

Thanks all!!!

 

And here's a link to a video turntable of the girls all painted up (pics incoming):

Bas-Lag Mercs

 

Thanks for looking!

  • 1 month later...

Bas-Lag Mercs

 

On 8/1/2025 at 5:36 PM, space wolf said:

Most excellent conversion work!

Thanks space wolf!!!

 

Completed the painting of the Bas-Lag Merc trio - a 'let's build something quickly to practice painting on' project that rapidly spiralled out of control...

 

 

 

Here's a link to the a youtube turntable of the ladies: Bas-Lag Mercs

(Can anyone tell me if there's a way to embed the video into the post please?)

 

Painting:

Primed with Stynlrez grey randomly mixed as applied with Dark Sea Blue or Olive Green (Vallejo)

Drybrushed on acrylic Scale 75 metallics

Completed with Oils as an exercise in applied frustration, though I'm getting the hang of oils now I think...

Some screenshots from the video:

 

blm-dyce.jpg
Dyce the Axe - also carrying a human-sized rivebow (crossbow that fires chakra discs)

 

blm-byrn.jpg
Re-Made pyromancer Byrn, bringing the heat...

 

blm-archer.jpg
And the Archer, all stealth and silence...

 

Thanks for looking!

  • 3 months later...

W][P - Narcomancer

Made for Grim40k's  GrimDark Cards Challenge 2025.
Inspired by card no. 5 and the music/art of Primal Era Worship's album 'Narcomancer'.

screenshot-2025-10-31-at-9.36.55-pm.jpg
Card no.5 from Grim40k's Grimdark Card challenge 2025

 

Made a complicated base...
11082.jpg
11081.jpg
1108.jpg

 

Used a portion of a Delaque body and a Stormcast head, stuck the whole thing in a big pin, then went a bit nuts with the Greenstuff and a tentacle/cable roller:
11131.jpg
11132.jpg
11133.jpg

 

Rolled a mix 70/30 mix of Milliput and Greenstuff out into the basic shape of the lower robes, let it dry for an hour, stuck it into place and teased the edges out with tweezers to get the frayed edges:
1119.jpg
11191.jpg
11192.jpg

 

Then: sculpted in the upper section of robes; added the arms - right hand from the Corpse Cart pile of dead bodies, left hand from Morvenn Vahl; sculpted in the upper sections of the sleeves and let it all dry.
Next: Used Tamiya Quick Type putty to complete the lower sections of the sleeves, and rolled out the head-cables.
Finally: added the brass Needle and the many-bits backpack, notably the plunger section from an Admech kit (minus the needle), and joined the Needle to the plunger with another cable, added the last head-cable, and - done:

1202.jpg
12021.jpg
12022.jpg
12023.jpg
12024.jpg
12025.jpg
12026.jpg
12026.jpg

 

Thanks for looking!
 

Edited by lamby

 

On 12/5/2025 at 12:27 AM, Firedrake Cordova said:

Absolutely excellent! :thumbsup:

 

Really nice greenstuff work, and imaginative usage of the Rhino cupola and Necromunda bases to make the base :smile: 

 

On 12/5/2025 at 2:15 AM, W.A.Rorie said:

:jawdrop: Amazing

 

On 12/5/2025 at 9:50 PM, Vairocanum said:

What an impressive conversion, nice to read the breakdown of your process with the progress pics! Love the base in particular and how all the cables intertwine with it! 

 

Thanks all!

Bonus post - turntable video:

 

Cheers!

Edited by lamby
Embedded Youtube video.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Posted (edited)

THE SECOND DEATH OF AVELINE

img_1118-1.jpg

screenshot-2026-10-02-at-8.54.08-pm.jpg

I think this is the first time I’ve built characters from actual 40k lore, in this case Saint Aveline Aboye and the Abbess Sanctorum Morvenn Vahl - though note nothing in this vignette beyond their names is lore-accurate.

img_1119.jpg

screenshot-2026-10-02-at-8.54.43-pm.jpg

The fallen (for the second time) Saint Aveline was made from a bog-standard Sister who I cut and bent and melted (just a little) into the death pose, adding a pair of Sanguinary Guard wings and Sisters of Silence long sword with a scratchbuilt hilt and handle.

img_1120.jpg

screenshot-2026-10-02-at-8.54.38-pm.jpg

Morvenn Vahl was going to be a simple build and paint, but… I detest the little control-Waldo grips; so I added the Celestian spear, raised the main spear a little, and added the handheld boltgun to match the BFG.

img_1121.jpg

screenshot-2026-10-02-at-8.54.32-pm.jpg

Due to some questionable decisions a while ago, I had cut off all the cabling for both Waldo arms and both big weapons, so had to remake them with GS and a cable roller; the dual cables for the main gun were particularly challenging!

img_1122.jpg

screenshot-2026-10-02-at-8.54.26-pm.jpg

I also decided I didn’t like the crenellations of the skirt and sleeves - too medieval. So I cut them away and then re-sculpted the skirt, and removed the sleeves altogether, replacing them with some chainmail. Lastly, the left pauldron also got a slight redesign.

img_1123.jpg

screenshot-2026-10-02-at-8.54.17-pm.jpg

Painting: Everything was covered in a mix of Grey Stynlrez Primer and VJ Dark Sea Blue, then drybrushed in acrylic Titanium White, and then a chipping pass with a mix of VJ Black and VJ Armour Brown. I did the inside of the tabard with Scale75 Burnt Sienna. Final acrylics was a Dark Sea Blue and Black mix over the tabard and sleeves of Aveline, then did the cables, guns, blades and hydraulic systems over in VJ Black.

 

Switching to oils: Morvenn was glazed in pale blue made from Indigo and White mixed with 50/50 Liquin medium and Gamsol. After it dried, everything was washed in Burnt Sienna with the same medium mix but less pigment; before the wash dried it was reducted from the highlights using dry cottonbuds, and Cadmium Red went onto the inside of the tabards, mixing with the wash in the shadows.

 

Back to acrylics: Covered all the golds in a mix of Death Metal and Tainted Metal, and then drybrushed VJ Gunmetal over the cables, guns, blades and hydraulic systems.

 

And... back to oils: Mixed up the pale blue again with only Liquin medium, and went around Morvenn's armour mottling the pale blue; while doing this I also enhanced shadows with Indigo and blended between the dark and pale blues. Did a similar thing on Aveline but with Titanium White, and Indigo as shadows. When it all dried I did another Burnt Sienna more targeted Burnt Sienna wash to dirty some areas down and all over the golds. Then I glazed a little Turquoise/Liquin mix onto the golds, and finally used Cadmium Red on the missile warheads and the wax of the purity seal.

 

Thanks for looking!

Edited by lamby

T][TANS - The Hoplite

 

 

The first of the Titans - the Hoplite - finally painted!

 

img_0878.jpg

 

Painting: don’t believe the Meta AI summary, there was no pearlescent paints used, only oil paints over a messy acrylic underpainting, and some satin and matt varnish finishes.

 

img_0877.jpg

 

Making the body: just a Melusai body with Warcry head, and the Witch Elf shield arm.

 

img_0879.jpg

 

Making the shield : Took a Witch Elf arm and shield, and cut the shield down to just a rectangular nubbin, glued on a curved section off a plastic egg and covered it in milliput.

 

img_0880.jpg

 

Additional bitz: good old Kroot shoulder armour on the shield arm to hide the crappy join.
Short-sword was a Witch Elf knife; and butt-armour made from chopping down Melusai waist-armour.

 

img_0881.jpg

 

 

Thanks for looking!

Edited by lamby

Wow, I've missed a lot!!! These are truly fantastic! Question: how did you create the tatters in the cloak you made for your Narcomancer (brilliant concept btw)? I've found when sculpting cloaks, I usually let them cure for about 45 minutes until i start cutting out the shape...is that when you cut in the tatters?  I also love the stormcast head, as it gives him a real, uncanny valley like feel.

13 hours ago, space wolf said:

Wow, I've missed a lot!!! These are truly fantastic! Question: how did you create the tatters in the cloak you made for your Narcomancer (brilliant concept btw)? I've found when sculpting cloaks, I usually let them cure for about 45 minutes until i start cutting out the shape...is that when you cut in the tatters?  I also love the stormcast head, as it gives him a real, uncanny valley like feel.

Thanks!
For the tattered cloak

- Use a 50/50 mix of Greenstuff and Milliput (Yellow)

- Roll it flat between baking paper and leave it for 45-60 min (depends a bit on the air temperature - warmer = less time.) 

- Cut out the cloak shape and wrap it/secure it to the mini - sometimes I'll mix up some fresh Greenstuff and use that between the cloak and the mini to get it to stick

- Wearing a nylex glove (no finger prints) hold the cloak in place and using tweezers grab the edge of the cloak and give it gentle pulls to create the tatters

 

21 hours ago, WBRBloom said:

This is some amazing work there, @lamby! Absolutely stunning! 

Thank you!

 

 

12 hours ago, The Pounder said:

Loving what you’ve done with that Sisters of Battle Warsuit!

 

In fact all your conversions are top tier!

Thanks so much!

 

Edited by lamby

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.