Militarum Tempestus questions

steve!

Hey guys just a few questions regarding MT, go easy if the answers are obvious as I am fairly unfamiliar with formations.

I am looking at the Tempestus codex and they have a ground based formation which has:

-Commissar
-Command Squad
-3 Tempestus squads
-4 Taurox

Now adding this all up points wise with my upgrades brings me to about 1065 points.

So what I was wondering is can you have a formation and then say another 700 points of models of your own choosing or are my choices limited? For example would this also allow for more HQ choices seeing as the two previous are in a formation?

The exact wording in the codex is

"A formation presents a collection of two or more army list entries that fight alongside eachother in a particular way. When you choose an army you can take a formation as a special form of detachment. Unless otherwise stated you can take any number of formations in your army and each is considered to be a completely separate detachment regardless of how many units make it up"

2.Also I was wondering seeing as these are a new army that obviously didn't exist a few months ago would I be able to use Cypher with them? obviously the dataslate mentions Imperial Guard being fine but with it being before these guys came out im not sure of the way it works.

Depends how you want to run them.

The formation attaches to an existing Primary army and is outside the normal allies etc.

so yes you could still have the normal up to 2 HQs and minimum 2 troops from ANY army that can take MT as allies. (Guard, etc) of even with a Primary of Tempestus.

As for Cypher I'm hoping they will clarify more on these as LoTD and some of the other newer Codex also don't make it clear, probably best to ask for opponents consent first.

Alternatively you can take a small Guard Primary force with Cypher included then take the Tempestus formation attached to them.

Hope that help clarify some points.

If you're talking about running an MT primary, then yes, you could take your own formation to get more HQ choices.

Your primary detachment would require a minimum of two Scions squads, and then you could, say, take two Command Squads. Then you take the formation, giving you a third Command Squad and four more Scion squads in addition to the Commissar. Depending on what points limit you're playing, this will let you take all the way up to 10 Scion squads, 6 in the FOC and 4 in the formation, but you're probably over 2000 points by that point anyways.

Archived