Getting to 2nd base with Sisters of Battle

Fibonacci

Since I am repainting the whole army anyway , I started thinking about new bases for them.  Currently I have them on Dragon Forge sanctuary bases.  The Imperial Knight for the army is on a traditional sand and flock base and the Penitent Engines are on thier stock bases since they have never been fully painted.

Anyway, I want a change.  I think.  Does anyone have a favorite base they use?  I will not be able to use the slot bases since I have cut away the tabs and pinned their feet to the current bases.  I am debating on going with a ruined temple look, basic sand and flock, urban rubble or keeping the current bases but adding more color and some vegitation where I can.  Unless someone has a killer look for me, I'm kind of stuck on what to do.

I thought it was doctors who had patients?

It's not like second basing an entire sororita army is something you're going to accomplish in a one night stand. Not if you're doing a classy job at any rate. Take your time and make it cohesive with matching outfitting.

I thought it was doctors who had patients?

It's not like second basing an entire sororita army is something you're going to accomplish in a one night stand. Not if you're doing a classy job at any rate. Take your time and make it cohesive with matching outfitting.

I will have 3 months starting May 1st; which happenes to be my birthday so I won't be painting on that day and will be recovering on the 2nd so almost 3 months.  May 3 - Aug 1.

I would say that there's more options to bring more color into these bases than just vegatation - different colored stones, for example.

There's a few main points to consider though - first, what is the color of the rest of your army, ie the actual models.

Is it those light grey/white with purple robes?

In that case I can understand you're not being completely happy with the current bases. A base is a frame for the model, much like a frame for a painting. It gives it context and a border. With the lightly colored models on top of lightly colored bases, they seem to flow into eachother a bit. Slightly darker bases might contrast with the models a bit more, and create a much bigger effect.

This is a roundabout way of saying that the first thing you need to keep in mind is the color of the base vs the color of the models. And not just the color, but the tint, the lightness - how it complements, contrasts and frames the model on top.

The second thing is the theme you want to show with your army. This is a bit harder to explain, but I'll try (in my own disconjointed way).

My sisters for example are on dark, fairly nondescript bases.they're grey, so they give an urban vibe, but they don't do much to draw the attention. The only thing on them that does are the scraps of paper fluttering about. It's a theme, a mood - a destroyed, non-descript, thirteen-a-dozen city, in chaos with papers and scraps floating about, destroyed past redemption. And yet they're still fighting there.

Another example is that of Hive Fleet Hydra. His models are painted fairly non-descript and dark, with only the dangerous things (weapons and jaws) painted up in bright colors. He painted the bases to pair with this - in lighter colors than most of the model, and with a lot of love and lavishing detail. This way, your attention is drawn to the base and to the dangerous areas of the model alone - and the base is (once again) and urban landscape in war, with trampled street signs, often he places posters, sometimes casualties or lost Household items (like a children's shoe - very creepy), and sometimes even civilians trying to hide from the monsters that are walking there.

That's just some food for thought :)

There's a few main points to consider though - first, what is the color of the rest of your army, ie the actual models.

Is it those light grey/white with purple robes?

They are being repainted during the ETL challange to Order of the Sacred Rose which is similar to this.  White armor, black robes with red lining and red weapons.

Thanks for the advice.  I think that's what I was missinf.  I had not really thought of the base and model as a whole.  It was just this is how you paint sacred Rose and this is how you paint stone.

Instead of going with all new bases...how bout you just spruce up their bases?

Add some rubble to them for more 3D effects.  Possibly some grass creeping through the cracks.  Jeff also sells some diorama kits for sanctuary, to put various pillows/statue pieces on the bases.

There is a lot of ways to give a base more flavor, without spending a ton of time either buying, or redoing them all.

I'm gradually redoing all my armies bases to a swamp planet (of my own devising).  Brown with lighter brown gravel, green bushes and plants, then I hope to one day add water effects.

It's a contrast to my Imperial armies (who occupy the fortified city areas of the planet) which are Grey Knights, Exorcist Marines (red armor), Order of the Sacred Rose (white) and the Inquisition (reds and blacks).  My Tau army is painted in a brown cloth/green armor plates similar to the Republic Clone Troopers on Kashyyyk in Star Wars: Episode III (Revenge of the Sith).

Similar bases across different armies is also a good way to tie in Allies with different color schemes but still have the army look unified.  I also keep weapons and glass in similar colors across the armies, or say power weapons color.  Ties things in even if the armies are different.

Archived