Deathwing W.I.P - 3d modelling / printing

madSculptor

Personally I'm a fan of the FW reimagined mki cataphracti pattern, though it might be fun to try something closer to the original. Currently I'm playing around with a redesigned mkii landspeeder as I really dislike the current flying bumper car design. Anyway, more pics and a bit of a (self) critique later.

Right I've undercoated him so you can see more of the details. The transparency is still a bit of a problem for me with photo taking at this stage, but this will be resolved as I paint him. First a size comp. with an unfinished converted ebay special.

Size comp

He's a smidge taller than a standard termie, which was intentional, both because I want him to stand out, and because he's much more upright in his pose, with his weight bearing leg almost locked. Unintentionally, his head is a little too small and his storm bolter is quite a lot smaller than it should be. D'oh! Basically I messed up on the measuring. Because of this, and because I didn't engrave the detail in enough, his eyes and "nose" are a bit undefined.

Next a 360. 

Front

left

rear

right

Pretty much all the detail has come out nicely, even down to the death wing symbol on the side of the storm bolter, which is truly tiny. There's no real obvious stepping or flaws from the printing, except for some slight roughness on some of the feathers on his headress right at the tips. Even the angel of vengeance on his right leg has come out very clear. Also the text on his right shoulder pad has come out very crisp, except for a single lower case m.

Detail

If I was doing it to sell I'd probably go through a couple more iterations to correct the scale issue on the head and storm bolter and more deeply emboss a couple of the tiny horned skulls and DW swords to make them clearer, but as its just for me, I'm perfectly happy with it. :)

Got some paint on him. He still needs some finishing touches, and I'll try and take a better pic when I next have natural light. I'm not the best painter in the world, but I'm pretty happy with how he's turned out.

LibbyPainted

Cheers guys. Got some reasonable photo's of him. 

Front

left

rear

right

detail

You can just about tell that the surface quality is not as good as a plastic or resin mini, but in real life you have to be looking incredibly close to tell they're prints. He is a bit delicate though, I lost one of the horns from the skull on his mini shield, and managed to break his hydraulic line on his right arm picking him up a bit roughly.

Right, back to the chaplain.

Wow that looks amazing buy been out off ever attempting 3d printing my own if the plastic/what ever the printer use is a little brittle but still dat model

Finally got around to finishing off the Chaplain and sending him off for printing. For some reason this one was a real pain to fuse together and prep. Ended up writing a script to make booleaning multiple objects together easier as he was composed of a couple of hundred seperate pieces. 

Chaplain Front

Chaplain Rear

Now, back to the landspeeder :)

lol, they can sue me for my debts. I'm not interesated in making money out of them, and they're not available for download / to buy. I honestly don't see a difference between this and scratch sculpting. Different medium is all.

I cannot advise you but I can say that I think the previous posters were right. I do think your print shop has some liability though, personal usage doesn't apply there.

I can also say that I don't think that your arguable lack of liability will stop GW having a pop, so to speak. They're  a bully. Signed, Spot the Space Marine.

• 4 weeks later...
Been wandering about Europe for a few weeks for work so haven't had the time to update. Anyway, Interrogator Chaplain came back from the printers and I put a coat of paint on him. He came back quite heavily covered in wax and hadn't been cleaned properly, but several rinses in warm water, a good soaking with some wahing up liquid and a few minutes with a soft toothbrush and he was fine. Really need to get a proper lighting setup.

Interrogator Chaplain 004

Interrogator Chaplain 010

Interrogator Chaplain 007

Archived