advice

Commissar Uri

Well, a Leman Russ BT + an Exterminator + 2 x vet squads with no upgrades is 400 points, so you could add a tank commander for 30 more but have to run tanks together, or add a cheap HQ but have less points for upgrades...

Edit: I'd be tempted to go for an exterminator over a standard BT against marines. My 500 points would be tank commander in exterminator + lascannon + HB sponsons + another exterminator with HB + vet squad, 2 plasma & grenadier + vet squad, heavy flamer, melta & vox. Neato!

Against the Dark Eldar you'd probably be best sticking to our strengths of numbers and fire power. They can hit hard but are weak so expensive units could be a bad idea depending on what your opponent takes. Cover ignoring weaponry is good too, the Exterminator and Eradicator will be good picks.

DE skimmers are weak, glancing them apart is a viable tactic. They're no harder to hit than anything else though, so maybe he's talking about the upgrade that takes 6" off your range or grants an invulnerable save? The Punisher is a bit short ranged though, ideally you'd be blasting them out of their rides outside of 24".

The Emperor has sent you a challenge - do not fail Him Uri ;)

Magnetising tanks is a lot easier than troopers, but I think it's harder with Guardsmen compared to Marines due to how the kits work. If it's an "in hand" weapon like from the Command Squad box then you might be able to get a small magnet in the handle hand to swap out plasma and melta. I think you could also use a magnet in the torso to swap between flamer and grenade launcher assuming you can glue the backpack to the arm ok.

I've not done this though so it's purely theoretical musings but I think it can work if you're careful.

I'll have a look when I get home. I hope it's that the gun is its own part. If not then I'll just buy some more to replace them. I don't finish for another two hours but the question is bugging me. I know the LR's I got are only three variants but do the guardsman come with all the possible weaponry or do I just have a box of Las gun troops?

The Guardsman box comes with a grenade launcher and flamer set, along with the bits to make a Sergeant (laspistol and chainsword) and a Vox. They're entirely separate bits so you can make what you like :) You can get the melta and plasma through either the metal blisters or from the Command Squad box, which also has the heavy flamer bits.

if you have some converting experience, the sergeants can now take bolters for 1 point each. That is what I equip all my sergeants with. But yes, sergeants are free in the infantry squads.

The ability to add bolters is new and welcome, but I'd probably save it for Veteran Sergeants. You do need to create a Sergeant for each squad armed with a pistol and close combat weapon (depending on what you buy, again I recommend not spending on squaddie sergeants) so take that into account when you're planning your squads and building the models :)

In a perfect world, where money flows like wine, I'd buy 2 (probably catachans because i have cadians out the wazoo):

CCS w/ 2xsnipers, vox, medic,stealth gear, colonel with toys.

PCS w/ 3xflamers, vox

-2x IS w/ grenade launchers, voxes

-HWS w/ 3x AC

-HWS w/ 3x ML

Vet Squad w/ 2x PG, HF, vox, Chimera (MLaser & HF)

Vet Squad w/ 2x MG, HF, vox, Chimera (MLaser & HF)

2x Leman Russ (magnetize the turret guns)

All parts available between the 2 boxes. 3 troops slots, 1 HQ, 2 heavies. Solid starter army to build off of.

my question is whats an IS?

If i remember correctly, any guardsmen not upgraded to a heavy flamer, vox, medic, platoon standard, or heavy weapon team can take a special weapon. So you can take:

PCS

3 Flamers

1 Heavy Flamer

= or =

PCS

4 flamers

*These units go great in Vendettas*

Only the officer can't take any of the upgrades (he has his own to pick from) so that's why you'll often find Platoon Command Squads with 4 flamers. Cheap and gets around the lack of BS4 and gives them a role they might otherwise struggle to find - what's not to like? :)

Also how do you fit 2 russes into a 500 game... that sounds cheesely hilarious

Easy. Two naked russes are 300. Two naked vet squads and a naked company command squad will run 180. That leaves 20 points for upgrades....not much, but do you really need your infantry to perform when you have two battle cannons in 500 points?

• 1 month later...

Archived