2000pts Emperors Children

MorgothNL

Hi all,

I'm in the process of painting an Emperors Children army but I'm having lots of trouble when it comes down to building the army list.

I've spend hours and hours calculating and shifting, trying to get something that works, is fun to play, and looks cool.

My brother will be building a 30k salamanders list when he has the cash for it, till that time I will be player mostly 40k lists (SM, Tau, Nids).

The list I ended up with at the moment is written below. I'm looking to get as many tips and feedback as I can (before I end up buying models I end up not using).

1 Eidolon (185)

5 Palantine Blade Squad (Power weapon 5x, sonic shriekers)

1 Land Raider Phobos

10 Veteran Tactical Squad (Vexilla, Power weapon, Artificer armour) (230)

1 Apothecary

10 Veteran Tactical Squad (Vexilla, Power weapon, Artificer armour) (230)

1 Apothecary

5 Tactical Support Squad (Melta 4x) (160)

1 Rhino (35)

1 Mortis Contemptor (Lascannons) (185)

1 Mortis Contemptor (Kheres) (180)

5 Heavy Support Squad (Missile Launchers 5x, Artificer) (170)

1 Whirlwind Scorpios (115)

2000pts total.

I'm have doubts about many aspects of this list.

I'm pretty sure I will keep the landraider with Eidolon and the Palantines (I already have the palantine models), I also have 2 contemptor dread, so those will stay as well.

What I'm not sure about:

- Should I run 10 man Veteran squads with apothecary, or should I go for 15 man tactical squad without apothecary? (or any other combination/number)

- Should I get rid of the heavy support squad and put missile launchers in the veteran squad? Not sure if it works well, or if I end up with a very expensive slow moving squad, that basically only shoots with its missile launchers? I didn't include ML because I think the squad will be more mobile and effective without them...

Please feel free to adjust/comment/ any part of the list, I would very much welcome it. 

For your information, these are the models I have at the moment:

- 2x contemptor

- 15 Tacticals (option for bolters, melta's, flamers and volkites)

- 2 Drop Pods

- 5 Missile Launchers

- 1 Sergeant with Thunder Hammer

- 2 Sergeants with 'Sword' 

- 2 Vexilla's

So try not to remove all of those from my list ;).

Thanks in advance!

Well, Vet squads get suspensor webs for their heavy weapons, so the squad could keep moving and shooting. But I think you're right to question the Vet squad's ultimate usefulness in this list. Just to highlight their advantages over tacticals:

1. Higher base attacks. You can make up for some of this with the additional CCW upgrade on tacticals if you want.

2. Special Rules. Big ones are access to Tank Hunters, Furious Charge (combos well with their high base attacks), and Sniper.

3. Flexibility via Special/Heavy Weapons in a bolter squad.

Which of these advantages do you think you're leveraging in this list? IMO, none. Footslogging melee troops in power armor are just bullet magnets, you don't have the right weapons to make the most of those special rules, and you aren't taking any special/heavy weapons in those squads.

So I think you're better off with tactical blobs with attached Apothecaries for your troops. They can carry a melee through sheer numbers, and win firefights through sheer weight of fire (especially with fury of the legion thrown in), but they won't be as versatile as the Vets could potentially be.

The double Contemptors you've got are good, I don't see any reason to drop them.

One caveat for the support squad, there is supposed to be an update on the way that has the sergeant start with a flamer like the rest of the squad. So, they could have 5 specials, but I think you will still be allowed to have the sergeant with bolt pistol/ccw or something (basically making the support squad like the heavy support squad). You might find use for the meltas in 40k, but I think they're just a bit too expensive overall, and in 30k there's simply too much armored ceramite for you to be able to rely on them. A support squad with Volkite Calivers is cheap and shooty, and could work as a backfield objective holder/fire support while your tactical blobs move forward.

Speaking of, your Phobos could use some Armored Ceramite. Meltabombs on your Sergeants is also good. Unfortunately, the rules for the Palatine Blades don't quite match the quality of their models. Personally, I would demote them to sergeant models and field something else for my melee hammer alongside Eidolon.

You are quite right about the veterans not having a specific usefulness.  I want my Emperors Children to be quite up close, to try and get the most strength out of their 'chapter tactics' and because I like close combat.

So to give my veterans more usefulness in their combat strength, I obviously need to get them there first of all. 

I ended up making a small change to the list, that kind of changes 'everything'

1 Eidolon (185)

5 Palantine Blade Squad (Power weapon 5x, sonic shriekers, Melta Bomb)

1 Land Raider Phobos (armoured ceramite)

10 Veteran Tactical Squad (Vexilla, Power weapon, Artificer armour, Melta Bomb) (235)

1 Rhino (35)

10 Veteran Tactical Squad (Vexilla, Power weapon, Artificer armour, Melta Bomb) (235)

1 Rhino (35)

6 Tactical Support Squad ( Volkite Caliver 6x) (145)

1 Rhino (35)

1 Mortis Contemptor (Lascannons) (185)

1 Mortis Contemptor (Kheres) (180)

5 Heavy Support Squad (Missile Launchers 5x, Artificer) (170)

1 Whirlwind Scorpios (115)

2000pts total.

- I removed the 2 apothecaries

- Gave both veterans squads a Rhino

- Gave all sergeants, that might see combat, melta bombs

- Added armoured ceramite to the phobos

- Swapped the Meltaguns for Volkites (I gave the sergeant one too, if that is going to be a new thing)

What do you think now? I believe the close combat strength of the veterans will see more use when they are transported in a Rhino (go flat out in the first turn with the whole army?)

I will at least give the palantines a few changes in this list. I have the models, they are fluffy and the points fit nicely.

What do you think of the missile launchers? Keep them like this, or give some ML to the veterans? I thing adding ML to the veterans, downgrades the combat effectiveness too much.

EDIT: I just realised the ML veterans would still have a pistol and sword, so they would do just as well in combat as the others. So what about removing the heavy support squad, adding 2 ML to both veteran squads, and adding a predator or javelin speeder?

Archived