Brushes, what do you use?

Out of curiosity, for those who use those fancy W&N S7 brushes, which makes/sizes do you recommend for someone looking to take one or two for a test spin. I finally feel good enough about my painting skills to consider seriously investing in them.

When I finally managed to get some in the UK, I bought myself a size 1 and a size 00 (didn't have 000, which was what I was looking for). The former is great for larger surfaces and the latter one is perfect for smaller details.

On another note, while I'm not sure that you can get them outside of the UK, if anyone has a store with Pro Arte Connoisseur brushes, I highly recommend them. They're a sable/synthetic blend and have served me rather well in the last few months.

Oh, and I second the motion to invest in some brush cleaner. Great stuff.

I recently bought two genuine W+N Series 7 brushes from an eBay retailer for the price of one from the W+N website. They have had a serious impact on my painting. I find them comfortable and the tip is always straight. It would take some convincing for me to use another brand from now on smile.png

I have a mixture but the ones I use mostly are a size 1 unbranded sable brush from an art shop, GW medium and large dry brushes, Windsor & Newton S7 size 2 and 0 (easily my favourites for clean painting areas. Not to be wasted on base coats). And some other ones which I use for messy stuff like basing, texturing, base coating, putting paint on my pallet.

I find the current GW brushes to be poor for the price. It's hard to find one with a proper point and they rarely keep a point if you do find one.

I use my fingers for all the "skill" I have painting. Those sharp bits are always a pain though msn-wink.gif.

On a more serious note, I generally hold no loyalty to any brand of brush. The Loew-Cornell ones are nice, Robert Simmons and American Painter are too, Princeton Art and Sceptre Gold are decent. I also have a number of brushes older than I am I got from my grandmother that are great as well, but there is no name on those. Typically I wander through real art stores (not Michael's) and pick out individual brushes that catch my eye as I inspect each one to make sure I avoid damaged ones.

I mix and match - tonnes of GW brushes (which last well if you use Master's cleaner and choose a good one to start with!), I have a few W&Ns and the Games and Gears double ended too. I have the odd army painter one, but I have probably fifty plus GW ones in various states...

i have a mix of GW, Taklon HJ series, and Games & Gears brushes. I've had mixed results with the quality of the GW brushes, the Taklon's are crap synthetics for slop work. I can't say enough positive things about the G&G Pro series brushes though. I just backed a new series of G&G brushes on Kickstarter for traveling.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554355176/games-and-gears-ichiban-studios-pro-line-brush

Archived