Scythes of the emperor.... Update 13/11/18

Very very nice

Thanks fella

Damn your weathering looks so good.

Are you using a pencil for those metallic weathering stripes on the black parts of the armour?

Thank you fella, and the metallics stripes are actually just bolt gun metal used with a brush that is pointing in every direction lol

I have to agree with Augustus, that weathering is great. Any chance of a small tutorial?

Thanks

Nemac

When I do the sgt I'll do a step by step guide on the weathering. Thank you for your comment also fella

Abby conversion, spot on!

Khârn, so much better than either the classic Chaos version and the stock FW version!

Scythes.......stupendous and always improving.....I think I hate you just a little.....and I will have to get me some resin, but first I need to stop buying metal :lol:

Well.....good morning to you gents and ladies(UK) time hope you are all well?

Right update time, I've been putting in some serious work on the last guy of my assault squad, I left the Sargent last. He still needs a lot of work done but here's some pictures of my weathering stage by stage

So after I've layered on the last bit of yellow I mix water with Vallejo skin wash (80/20) which basically gives the yellow a 'rusty' tinge

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/03D85961-6636-4B09-B701-C400B6D0893D_zpsnqhd7hra.jpg

I then added some cracks and scratches using VMC skull white and then dark flesh (GW) on top of the white leaving some white showing

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/B2B3C27A-DB9C-4414-9298-03DD499CDC4A_zpstlqscnj6.jpg

Then the Rhinox hide comes out with a sponge and a lightly sponge that on

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/DC7F5E1E-2A0E-4236-9E0D-CE4A78C629E4_zpsvhad2ldc.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/A598D33A-96C0-4AF5-B212-BCD1DD28E453_zpso6r5oclv.jpg

I then mix Vallejo skin wash with water 50/50 and start creating streaks

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/6C68E05C-7A88-411E-936A-19FF38F3E2F3_zps2ifybq9o.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/89E69B1C-8313-4504-BCCC-B26E557415EE_zpsidsc23jh.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/5E9E0852-11D6-4E63-98C5-BD70B62405A5_zps4m8dvh5b.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/79124892-EE65-4BCF-A54B-9C9B7CB69194_zpsqzs0rgs2.jpg

And as you can see from the pics I've added a very watered down mornfang brown to the recesses of the black armour parts

And then it's pure call how skin wash with tiny streaks as pure skin wash is very very strong in colour

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/6E4D536E-4F69-4A98-8D95-C13E1DBE099D_zps2ogx2zzh.jpg

And that's where he is at ATM. Hope you like the update.

Leave you comments and criticism as always

Thanks people

You frater, are my personal jesus. Thx. Waited for this tutorial to continue with my wardens. Damn that will be very helpful

No problem glad I could be of service and it helps out, let me know when you do to

Thanks for the tutorial. I'll have to remember it when the time comes to add a large yellow unit to my Raven Guard.

Yellow on Raven Guard? You must enlighten me brother

Very nice....very nice indeed!

Loving your weathering on the Yellow, especially on the jump packs!

Keep it coming!!!!!

:tu:

Thank you very much fella

That's a great tutorial! Would this work for greys as well? Been wanting to weather my Wolves a bit, but I'm new to weathering. I have a dark grey armor scheme (Adeptus Battlegrey/Mechanicus Grey)

Keep up the great work! :wink:

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: !!!!!!!

Thanks DS

Awesome. Thanks dude. Will definitely apply to my own Bananas. 

Also: is that the dude you built to represent me? :D

Hope to see your work on your bananas and indeed this Sargent is you bro

Wow. Just spent a happy few hours going through the complete thread. Amazing work chap. :tu:

Wow I thank you for that time and effort fella, can't believe how many pages have been built up on this project, thank you for the props and time going in looking at my work.

That's a great tutorial! Would this work for greys as well? Been wanting to weather my Wolves a bit, but I'm new to weathering. I have a dark grey armor scheme (Adeptus Battlegrey/Mechanicus Grey)

Keep up the great work! ;)

Thank you fella. And yeah it does work As I've used the same technique on my space sharks I painted

Awesome force and one of the clearest and most helpful tutorials on weathering that I've seen. Thanks for taking the time to do the step by step and posting it!

Glad it was easy to follow and was very clear. Thank you for your comment

Thanks for the tutorial. I'll have to remember it when the time comes to add a large yellow unit to my Raven Guard.

Yellow on Raven Guard? You must enlighten me brother
Even the Raven Guard need a little help from time to time and there are still those in the Imperium who will lend such aid to any who ask for it.

@kreigriss: they're just MKIII legs brother re positioned

@mikhalenoir: army painter will be stronger in tone, maybe add some paint to the wash finale the pigment stronger. Or any ink you have that is close to the colour as the Vallejo washes are very very very strong in colour and shine and act a lot like an ink

Please do fella an let me see.

So as the title says....they're finally done (minus the bases) but that's nothing too major.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/63033F8E-7833-4C01-881C-1A90FCF2F846_zpsbbdsrenm.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/54CF33A4-AA29-460A-833D-2774F0F55A4F_zpsei8fcchy.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/E9285391-9E1D-4757-A768-8586556945CF_zpshk8ezdwd.jpg

So some Individual shots of assault Sargent Augustus, but before that. Something I haven't done in a while..... A little story to go with this fine Sargent....

Veteran brother sargent Augustus 'the head hunter' last of the 8th.

Sargent Augustus is a 130 year old brother of the scythes of the emperor chapter, his rise through the assault elements of the chapter was exemplary, even from a scout on his first mission the heads of the chapter had marked him for great and wonderful things, even the chaplains kept their eyes on him.

He was only in the scout company for 10 years, and in that decade he had lead his own squad through hell and back when their sargent had been slain by an ork warboss, Augustus kept calm and railed his squad and the last 7 over whelmed the warboss, although they all bore that battle well on there bodies, even Augustus suffering a terrible slash across his chest, a scar he was proud of as it was this battle that saw him rise into the ranks of 8th company along with the rest of his squad, the years went on and these 8 remained whole, forming a close bond in their squad, with Augustus being made sargent very early on in his career, the youngest ever battle brother to be given that rank.

It was joked in the chapter that these were blessed, seeing as they remained as the eight that got promoted to the 8th company and ended up as 8th squad, they was dubbed the 'immortals', their attacks were perfect, ambushes as great as the raven guard, they even had the honour of captain lysander bestowing great honours to them infront of his crusade force and the scythes when the two chapters joined to bring down a rebellion, Augustus's squad performed in duelling matches once the war was won and everyone of them won no less then 5bouts each, no small feat given the Fists duelling history as master swordsman.

This era of greatness was to head to an abrupt end, 5th company came across an alien fleet heading in system, a distress signal was sent out but 5th company had, by communication been wiped out.

So Sotha's fortress monastery was fortified, the companies had their plans......then.....it all went dark.

The spores started raining down on sotha, the fortresses guns reaped a massive tally....too many to count but it wasn't enough, so the ground war began, 8th company had the task of being the harassment element of the defence, with bike squads gunning into the swarms, retreating, with in bound land speeders flaming and gunning the chasing tyrainds, then with the jump pack marines deploying via storm Ravens to mop up, 8th company was causing massive damage, but the hive mind is a intelligent entity that the scythes didn't prepare for, when the next hit and run attack came the hive mind had its own plan....the bikes attacked....and out of no where hundreds of raveners and trygons sprung from the ground followed by hundreds of gargoyles flying from the tunnels made to bring down the speeder through sheer weight of numbers....it was a massacre, with only the jump pack squads being the only ones left in their storm Ravens they had no choice but to watch 65 battle brothers get torn apart infront of them, from the air Augustus voxed in to his captain

"Lord we can assist, the Ravens can deploy us and make strafing runs"

"Negative sargent, this battle is lost, you must carry on the companies honour, get back to the monastery, inform them this alien race is far more intelligent then we believed, 8th is in your hands now" and cut the link....

Back at the fortress Augustus laid out what happened, it was hard to bare, the other companies had suffered horrific losses too....such was the losses of the companies and the ground that had been lost in mere weeks Chapter Master Thorcyra order ed the remaining 450 marines to gather as many as the population, recruits and equipment they could and abandon sotha, the captains, veterans and support staff stood in silence,

"What would you have of me and my company lord" said Augustus

Chapter Master Thorcyra looked up, the faintest smile on his lips at this show of defiance,

"Can 8th make a regard action with support from 9th and 4th?" Thorcyra said

"It would be my honour" Augustus defiance had resonated among the brothers arrayed at the great hall.

So it was during the rearguard action the seeds of Augustus's future unstable mind would be sewn.

All was going well, the 3 devestator squads from 9th company were laying down punishing volleys of fire from heavy bolters, plasma cannons and missile launchers with a few Lascannons sniping off the larger tyranid creatures.

Out of no where the hordes of aliens just stopped, 100 meters out, the marines standing guard looked on dumb struck, not knowing what was happening,

"Ha! They've had enough, maybe they've learnt" said brother Galean of Augustus's squad

Then there was a loud 'crunch'

Augustus turned around to see a 4ft talon sticking out of galeans chest, the marine was still alive, shock had taken over any real need to cry out.

In a split second galean was ripped in two, standing there was his killer, a tyranid organism dubbed as a lictor, followed by a dozen more and a few hundred genestealers.....in just the space of 40seconds....

.....The rearguard became a riot, with no clear indication of lines or fall back positions.

Every marine was fighting his own war, the devastators falling the first and quickest, this new attack of tyranids knew to hit these squads first, their heavy weapons making close combat nigh impossible and we're all pulled down and pulled apart.

Augustus and his remaining squad members were bounding from area to area trying to push back this attack....

Then the main swarm piled in, seeing the destruction unfold Augustus ordered a retreat, the chapters tarantula positions were near dry when the order was given so supportive fire was a very short time.

Augustus voxed in to brother sargent Heinrich (3rd company's 2nd tactical squads Sgt)

"Those turrets need to be re set up Heinrich, other wise this retreat will become a complete massacre"

"Aye it will....don't suppose the abundance of tyranids has skipped your eyes no?" Replied Heinrich

"Nows not the time for jokes this rearguard has been lost, we need to save as many as we can and link up with chapter master Thorycra and save what's left of the chapter"

"My squad will form a firing line between the 3 turrets we still have and give you joint cover, we still have our mines and melta charges lying in wait to be detonated" Heinrich relayed to Augustus.

Out of nowhere a trio of mawlocks erupted out the ground tearing apart the make shift line that Heinrichs squad had formed, with only him and one member of his squad left they stood back to back with Heinrich pulping anything that came near him with his powerfist.

Seeing this play out Augustus ordered his squad to save these two brothers and with a wrath of vengence to shake the very mountain top they stood upon they came crashing down and set upon the tyranids and relieved the last two marines.

"You and your man reload the turrets, then get to 300 metres, let us form a line to help you, there's two more turrets at the hundred metre mark for you to stand at and wait for us, once we've got to the 150 metre mark from this line and your next line detonate the explosives and just run under the cover of the debris, We can move quick than you" said Augustus

"Aye, there's merit in that brother, confirm 300 metre mark, let you and your squad fall to 150 metres and then Detonate" replied Heinrich.

And so the plan was set, the assault squad chopped down the tyranids as easy as the scythe against the wheat, the squad now 7 man strong split into a 4 and 3 man unit, the 3 man unit bounded to the turrets and helped them to be reloaded whilst the other 4 including the sgt stayed and formed a make shift line as best they could.

With the turrets reloaded and re set the assault squad formed back up whilst the tyranid attack stopped for a brief few minutes, Heinrich and his last member ran to the hundred metre mark, once voxed into Augustus brother kalen laid down and massive sheet of prothonium using the last of his flamer fuel he mag locked it to his thigh and drew a combat blade and his pistol,

"brother why are you not leaving your flamer? It's out of fuel?" Said brother Yalek

"Well, with so much loss already we need every weapon still available to us when we come back and retake our world" said kalen

Over the vox the whole squad here his reply but no one gave voice to the fact that mother sotha was loss, even Augustus didn't what to dishearten his own squad, he let his marine have his hope.

The assault squad stood quickly in silence and then the sound of hundreds of alien screeches cut the silence and they bounded back towards to the hundred metre mark, as they crossed the 150 metre mark, there was an massive clap of thunder, followed by a screech of ironised air marking the explosion of melts charges, Augustus glanced back and saw hundreds if not thousands of tyranids bodies fly hundreds of metres in the air, the side of the mountain came crashing down also to block the passage way,

'That'll give us some time to move out of here' thought Augustus.

He made the link to Heinrich, "brother you and your man move out, the tyranids will be kept busy loving through all that debris and hopefully we've taken out a few of them swarm control creatures as their attack was quite deep into the ambush"

"Brother have you not seen the few hundred tyranids behind you still?"

With that Augusts turned straight around, and saw the creatures appearing out the cloud of dust that had been caused by the ambush,

"Squad turn and deploy frags, form a line and set pistols to rapid fire, deeply one more frag again, then bound back to the range of the turrets, Heinrich I thought I said get out of here? We will cover you"

"We are brothers, Sargent we will never leave brothers behind when there's a fight to be had, we will lay as much fire as we can, I have your left flank covered, brother Tean has your right, continue with your plan but we will provide over watch fire from this range, the turrets won't be set until you're out of the way"

"Confirm brother, for sotha" said agustust back

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/2EE9D817-C121-483C-8E54-C65B6F23CB64_zpseqbzuwwg.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/F0D722D9-3F70-4B82-B1BA-36D5EB87A878_zpszj3lyozs.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/CDD2539D-B492-4139-81FB-BBA9364B3129_zpscbnc6lna.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/E7981D05-760B-4DDD-8718-15E72604700F_zpsgawpxdgd.jpg

And I've just started this fellow....

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/grizzlywipez/scythes%20of%20the%20Emperor/F8FCF321-3CC8-4913-A7CB-FC1F13D20482_zpsjfkivtfb.jpg

Hope you like the new update and as always give in your comments and criticism.

Thanks again for looking and dropping in

Awesome. I'm honoured you wrote such an elaborate piece of fluff about sergeant Augustus! It's also pretty cool that there's a brother sergeant Heinrich in there (I'm PMing with Brother Heinrich about some fluffy connections between my 47th and his 15th company Night Lords). :tu:

Archived