Sororita help....

tflash

Hi,

I'm a new member on here and a occasional player. I'v been through the codex and have a question that maybey you can help me with. I dont know if it was discussed before so if it did, I apologize, I did try searching with no success.

What do people do apart from allies (IG with Hydra) do for air defense?

Any pointers would be appreciated.....

Thanks guys!

I find that in a pinch, commander Pask (IG) in a punisher cannon lemon Russ can bring flyers down. Put prescience on 20 shots at strength 5, Rending and ReRoll to Penitrate....plus it's a very tough versatile unit that can kill troops, vehicles, and flyers. Average 2 Rends on a flyer with prescience.

Hi, tflash.  Welcome to best Sisters of Battle board on the net.

The go-to anti-air unit is usually an Agies Defense Line with either quad-guns (my favorite) or the Icarus lazcanon.  If you can swing it, a cheap Cannoness on the gun is the way to go since her BS5 makes sure you don't miss very often.

Other options include:

2 Exorcists have a good chance of killing a flyer even with snapshots.

Dominions with melta.  Again, relying on snap shots but with their Act of Faith the target will not get their jink cover save.

Ignore the flyer.  Work on positioning and staying in cover or transports and move anyone that can to within 18" of the flyer.

Avenger Strike Fighter from IA:Aeronautica.

Whatever you do, don't waste too many shots on a flyer.  If you can force them to jink for the save they can only snap fire on their next turn so move on and take out the next target.

[edit]

Oh yeah, I forgot to add Immolators.  Those twin-linked multi-meltas each have about a 30% chance of hitting with a snap shot.

Hi, tflash.  Welcome to best Sisters of Battle board on the net.

The go-to anti-air unit is usually an Agies Defense Line with either quad-guns (my favorite) or the Icarus lazcanon.  If you can swing it, a cheap Cannoness on the gun is the way to go since her BS5 makes sure you don't miss very often.

Other options include:

2 Exorcists have a good chance of killing a flyer even with snapshots.

Dominions with melta.  Again, relying on snap shots but with their Act of Faith the target will not get their jink cover save.

Ignore the flyer.  Work on positioning and staying in cover or transports and move anyone that can to within 18" of the flyer.

Avenger Strike Fighter from IA:Aeronautica.

Whatever you do, don't waste too many shots on a flyer.  If you can force them to jink for the save they can only snap fire on their next turn so move on and take out the next target.

[edit]

Oh yeah, I forgot to add Immolators.  Those twin-linked multi-meltas each have about a 30% chance of hitting with a snap shot.

Thanks for the tip, I like to play a pure Sister Army, so I guess i'll be getting another exorsist..... Wish they would though about that when they redid the codex, but at least we got one....Would of been easy to add a anti-aicraft option to the exorcist though...

I usually put a firestorm redoubt on my list, and its a great fortification to deal with any flyer unit, 4 twinlinked cannon lasers shots per turn, even dragons have trubles to deal whit that, 6 miniatures can shot from the fire point and another squad can shot from the battlement,( a great cover save for vehicles partially o totally hiden to the fortification )and have the interception special rule, the contra are 200 points and bs2, shooting ever in the last place.

The redoubt can be upgrades in "asault to fortaleces" suplement, in that case i recomend the machines spyrit magos to shot with bs3 and the void shiel generator.

I hope this help you teehee.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with Reienkyo, I use my Redoubt quite a bit as well but I boost mine to bs 3 with a void shield.

It's a great fire base for the back board edge and even if you foe has no flyers it's good at any anti armour or and elite infantry as well.

The Avenger Strike fighter is also a great choice but I find it more anti infantry than flyer.

If you are pushed however Immolators are also a good choice, they are twin linked and if it hits odds are it will kill it with their multi Meltas, any force trends to have 3 or 4 of these bad boys.

I always use Immolator spam as a tactic, so that's my best shot at flyers.  I would not suggest wasting shot with Exorcists at flyers. Since you roll d6 shot, you will +- have 1 shot hitting the flyer each 2 exorcists. It can rapidly be a damn waste of the Exorcist firepower. Better off shooting a volley of rending heavy bolter with Retributor if you really want to (that's generally who is on my Aegis anyway, especially with 2 twinlinked autocannon with rending). The flyer can be decent on smaller flyer, but it's BS is a big let down if you want to hit a Heldrake since its main gun is not high-Str. Still a good choice, but don't waste too many points on it. 

TLDR : Don't use exorcists, its a waste. 

2 Exorcists = 250 points and will average 7 shots for 1.17 hits or 214 points per hit.

3 Immolators cost 180 points for 3 twin-linled shots doing 0.889 hits or 202 points per hit.

Anyway, no adjustments made for range or anything like that, just raw data; use it as you see fit.

You calculs are correct and I don't say that using exorcist for anti-air is heresy. Rather I'm stating my opinion that I prefer Immolator. To me Immolators tend to be general anti-tank, which can easily be switched to anti-air. My Exorcists on the other hand have definite job : hunt down MC and 2+. And with the melta rule, it can really help out against more armoured flyer like the Heldrake. And the more ''randomness'' involved, the less steady you will have resultats. The Immolator is twinlinked (anti-randomness factor) and must fire 1 shot per 60 pts. The Exorcist on the other hand must roll (randomness) for its shot before even rolling to and to pen. And this initial roll (which in a system of randomness is more important because its there first) is impossible to fix with a reroll or an anti-randomness factor. In other word, the exorcist acts almost as a psychic tank in as much as it uses another randomness factor at the base of its attack. I'm not saying the Exorcist is weak per say, but against flyer you're already pushing your luck and therefore should aim at something more ''stable'' like another flyer or something twinlinked. 

MM Immolators.

Twin-linking gives you a decent chance and AP1 means they have a good chance of going down.

I have one myself that has so far killed 2 Stormravens, a Dakkajet and a Death Scythe.

Don't see too many flyers in my meta, but when I see them, that immolator does a number on them.

Otherwise Exorcists are definately an option.. especially if you're willing to ally in an inquisitor with prescience. 

Archived