It's a very strange phenomenon.

A Grown Man with real life responsibilities spends hundreds or even thousands of dollars/pounds/euros/galactic credits and devotes days to converting and painting an army of miniatures to field in battle. This army is very carefully built to accord with a certain Purity of Theme. This Purity of Theme, however, has known weaknesses and was never really intended by GW to be fielded the way the Grown Man intends to field it.

Inevitably, once the final product is bought and (perhaps?) painted, it brings the Grown Man rage and disappointment on the tabletop, and he then comes to these boards and cries curses down on GW, fate, and the Deesixian Gods.

There are known and readily available solutions to his army's weaknesses, and the Grown Man is well aware of them, but, due to a zealous allegiance to the Purity of Theme, the Grown Man not only refuses to consider these solutions for himself, he will even sometimes decry and call Heresy on others who choose them for themselves.

The end result is that the Grown Man spends a lot of Money and a lot of Time, and then spends many Years simultaneously ignoring the solutions that are ready to hand and waiting for the ultimate Hope of Salvation: the FAQ or, even more blessedly, the Codex. But as GW has told us for years, we all know what Hope is the first step on.

I can think of no better term to describe this phenomenon than Masochism.

FB, I think you just described that DA players are really Dark Angels themselves, ala embodying the actual stubborn-ness, hope for redemption, etc, described in the books. :D Maybe that's why DA players feel so passionately about their army! :)

Great post!

*clears throat* Repeat after me: "Pain is good, pain is a friend, pain tells you that you're alive". Repeat that for 1,000 times and then book appointment for Asmodai :devil:

Every night I get out my Flail of the Unforgiven, attached to the end of each of its chains being a Codex: Dark Angels from the various game editions, and I flagellate my back until it bleeds. When I first began doing this it started bleeding after only a dozen or so lashes, but I have built up such a thick layer of scar tissue over the years that it requires nearly a hundred lashes to draw blood now.

Sweet is the salve of victory though. tongue.png

It's a very strange phenomenon.

A Grown Man with real life responsibilities spends hundreds or even thousands of dollars/pounds/euros/galactic credits and devotes days to converting and painting an army of miniatures to field in battle. This army is very carefully built to accord with a certain Purity of Theme. This Purity of Theme, however, has known weaknesses and was never really intended by GW to be fielded the way the Grown Man intends to field it.

Inevitably, once the final product is bought and (perhaps?) painted, it brings the Grown Man rage and disappointment on the tabletop, and he then comes to these boards and cries curses down on GW, fate, and the Deesixian Gods.

There are known and readily available solutions to his army's weaknesses, and the Grown Man is well aware of them, but, due to a zealous allegiance to the Purity of Theme, the Grown Man not only refuses to consider these solutions for himself, he will even sometimes decry and call Heresy on others who choose them for themselves.

The end result is that the Grown Man spends a lot of Money and a lot of Time, and then spends many Years simultaneously ignoring the solutions that are ready to hand and waiting for the ultimate Hope of Salvation: the FAQ or, even more blessedly, the Codex. But as GW has told us for years, we all know what Hope is the first step on.

I can think of no better term to describe this phenomenon than Masochism.

Damn it Brother!! How DARE you tell my life story without my leave!?!?............verymad.gif

Great Post, and waaaayyyy too close to home..........dry.png

Archived