veterans or henchmen?

irwit

Hi all

Just wondering how good the new veterans are and comparing to henchmen.

So a unit of 10 henchmen with 3 plasma guns, 7 storm.bolters and all carapace armour is 131.

10 veterans, carapace and 3 plasma is 120.

So 10 point difference 1 less bs skill but stormbolters will do a lot more damage than flashlights.

What do people think?

That's a good point. Add a chimera and there is only 1 point difference. Add a valk and I bet the henchmen are cheaper. Still the vets are bs4 and can gain orders. Its a tough one!

I like ten stormtroopers with two melta guns instead...150 points, but they have hellguns, can still take orders, and deepstrike.  FRFSRF with hellguns, anyone?  Or, take them from the stormtrooper codex, and they are scoring, and can have a valkyrie as a dedicated transport (different set of orders, though)

I like ten stormtroopers with two melta guns instead...150 points, but they have hellguns, can still take orders, and deepstrike. FRFSRF with hellguns, anyone? Or, take them from the stormtrooper codex, and they are scoring, and can have a valkyrie as a dedicated transport (different set of orders, though)

Would you ever really deep strike them though? Actually thinking on my feet here i guess deep strike plus the shoot and run command is pretty useful? Hmm, even more decisions, lol.

I like ten stormtroopers with two melta guns instead...150 points, but they have hellguns, can still take orders, and deepstrike. FRFSRF with hellguns, anyone? Or, take them from the stormtrooper codex, and they are scoring, and can have a valkyrie as a dedicated transport (different set of orders, though)

Would you ever really deep strike them though? Actually thinking on my feet here i guess deep strike plus the shoot and run command is pretty useful? Hmm, even more decisions, lol.

The only way to do that, though, is to attach an orders-issuer to the unit...And the only independent character with voice of command is....Yarick.  As for whether I'd deepstrike them...yeah, I would, out of a moving valkyrie, no less...who dares wins!

Yeah...I was thinking of multiple squads, it's like chips, you can't eat just one!  I would love to field three tempestus squads that way...each with a L2 divination psycher on board, one with Yarrick (an excellent warlord choice in any event), plus a tempestus command squad...that's three prescience FRFSRF hellgun units that might also ignore cover or force rerolls to successful saves!  

Wrong.  Look again at the "airborne assault formation," they're required to take valks and start out in them.  Anyway, I know that allies can't join up in transports.  

Anyway, who cares if they're dedicated transports or not?  You can get up to nine valkyries in the IG codex, so how is there any problem?  Three stormtrooper squads in fast attack valkyries, and one stormtrooper command squad in a fast attack valkyrie...so far, I've filled a minimum of two fast attack and one elites slots, right?  Add in Yarrick as my HQ attached to one squad, everything being taken from the IG codex, not the ST one, and I don't know what you're saying is illegal...and I don't know where you got the idea that I planned to take the stormtroopers in this scenario as allies (and attach four IG characters to them, so no matter where the transports come from, it's illegal)

Archived