New to the IG.....well, my son is.....

marvmoogy

Hi all, 

After a few years of asking, I've let my son choose his 40k army and he has gone with the Imperial Guard.  I've never played them (or played against them for that matter) so I picked up the 'dex today to try and plan out an army for him (he's only 8 and VERY new to the game....but he likes tanks!)

I'm looking at the army list entry and getting a bit confused - can someone tell me if this is correct?

Looking at a Platoon, 

I could take a platoon command squad, 5x 10 man guard squads, 5 heavy weapons squads (so 15 heavy weapons) 3 special weapons squads and a squad of conscripts in ONE troops choice?

Let me say that another way, 153 men including 14 special weapons (not including the command squad and 20 (YES 20!!!!) heavy weapons and load it all into ONE troops choice?

Please tell me that's wrong?!?!

Thanks

You are correct, you can do that with IG.

Ive heard the story of someone having so many infantry in the table he won a tournament purely by attrition, what he couldn't kill he surrounded and eventually the enemy could not kill enough to win the game or grab objectives..

If your kid likes tanks I recommend IA1: Second edition which has the updated Armoured Battlegroup list for an army that is nothing but leman russes or you could just use the old version of it which is still around in the web if you dont want to buy the book and you just want to play with your kid.

Send me a pm of you wish to know more about the imperial armour 1,volume 2. I'll help you with any details you may need. I don't know how competitive you want him to play,but it definitely is a fun army to play,not to mention cheaper than an all infantry list,as well as easier to play in my opinion.

Yes.  As all the others have said.  Now tell me how many formations like that do you see in batreps or in the lists subforum...  It is not cost effective in points or in dollars..  Stick with Tanks and a couple/few veteran squads.

Big guns never tire.

Its actually fun to play like that.

I did that when i still had my cadian 8th army (sold them, did not want to strip them)

I had 120 men per troop choice and peoples jaw drop when you start fielding that much men.

I used to field 355 in my standard guard army, before I started playing AirCav.

But if he likes tanks, I agree with the others who suggest the armoured company. It has tanks (which he likes), but it will only have a few models; having less models will make it easier to play, that's a good thing.

Your son has good taste! I started playing when I was 8 too and I also love tanks - the Guard is a natural fit! :D

As the others have said you can go crazy with Guardsmen if you want, but like all good things it's the option to do something if you want and nothing more :) Our previous codex was very flexible in letting you build cool armies and the Emperor has blessed us with a new codex that doesn't change this.

Imperial Armour is worth a look, but I'd recommend sticking to the codex first. Easier to learn, get games etc for a new player plus it can do pretty good impersonations of a tank company.

Just from my own experiences as a noob treadhead, you shouldn't totally neglect infantry. I would always lose on objectives missions...but only when my opponents didn't forfeit after seeing all my tanks deployed. cool.png

You can have that many guys, but a full size infantry platoon is over a thousand points. They're primarily there so that someone playing infantry guard can have more than 60 guys. Usually if someone is maxing out conscripts they take the minimum infantry squads and if someone has lots of infantry squads they aren't taking many conscripts, and there's plenty of people who only take one infantry platoon and have vets for the rest of their troops.

Sounds reasonable.  I don't like the idea of a sweeping advance ruining the day!

Next question - unit coherency.  Do they all need to be X inches close to each other or can I put the HW squads back field, throw some conscripts forward etc etc etc 

Cheers

Every different unit in the platoon can be away from each other, the platoon doesn't need to be in coherency so you can have the platoon command squad hanging in the back while the infantry moves up and the special weapons squad is in a valkyrie in reserves or whatever else you want.

My guideline is for every squad (squad, not platoon) there is a piece of armor.

Definition of armor for me is everything that doesn't have organic feet, so:

Artillery : basilisks , wyvern , collosus etc

tanks: all leman russ version and the medium tanks from FW

Transport: chimera's and taurox

Air and anti air: Valkyries, vendettas , bombers and fighter and the rest and hydra's

I played a game the other day with 2 Platoons of 3 Infantry Squads and a Platoon Command Squad. Each platoon was formed into 1 massive squad, then added a priest and a Primaris Psycher in each. Also had a few tanks and whatnot, but the infantry blobs can work and be efficient in the new 'dex. Also, if your son likes tanks, you can take a tank commander in a LR, and 3 squads of 3 leman russes as heavy, then a couple mechanized veteran squads and call it a day.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.  I'm training him up well - I've told him he only gets the next box of new plastic after he has finished the last one!  So, I guess I have quite a bit of time to kill and not build up too quickly*

*unlike his dad who must have about 10,000 points of marines in various guises and only about 300 points is painted :(

It's a parent's prerogative to say "do as I say, not as I do" ;) It's for his own good if he can learn the lesson none of us did... I opened an old pack of 20 Guardsmen still in its cellophane to build my ETL Platoon ready for May :P

Archived