Parn's Sisters (WiP)

Parn

This is my starting picture for my ETL III work. Pretty bad picture, but it is just primed and unbased models anyways, aside from 1 dominion who will be repainted for my order colors anyways!

... Some glue required, too! biggrin.png

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/johndigiovanni/IMG_20140501_162310_366_zpscf3b32c6.jpg

Trying these colors out. A flat gray for the armor, purple vestments, and gold trim. I'm still pretty novice with painting... so forgive the shoddy work. This is the first pass, tinkering with the pallet.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/johndigiovanni/IMG_20140501_183226_524_zps76071e3a.jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/johndigiovanni/IMG_20140501_183323_788_zps40ecb23b.jpg

I think the grey kinda blends into the bolter some.  It is a good idea to start with.  Don't worry about shoody work.  I am not going to judge as I been there too.  With practice and patience you will have great looking models in no time.

I am planning on going over the melta with a good black wash to give it a used look, I hope. And possibly a bit of red (or black, depending on how I feel about it). Honestly, in hindsight I should have based the melta red, then washed it black, and finally highlight it gray for that worn off paint look. I think I'll try that! Thanks :D

The metalic pink muzzel caught my eye as an unusual colour choice. I'd have made it gold to tie it back into the rest of your colour scheme, or perhaps, made something else pink to match it.

The 'shoddyness' is forgiven. I, too, have great stacks of models that look like that before I achieved my current standard of mediocraty. There's no substitute for practice, luckily, you're in the ETL.

You'll find a black wash will do wonders for the model, but the robes will probably need some highlighting afterwards.

Drybrushing gold/bronze follwed by black over the melta muzzle should make it look scorched and used :p

Looking forward to seeing how this develops :)

I find the more 'flexible' a part conceptually is, the more layers of paint it needs. Washes and drybrushes only do so much for rigid plate, but if you can control them they've served me well on the insides of some joints. Hair is one of those things that 'pops' more with more layers. If I was painting white hair I think I'd start with a brown based grey (does this make sense? essentially, I'm counseling against a 'blue based grey') to avoid 'blue-haired-grandma' syndrom, and either go straight to a heavy drybrush of white, or a couple of different layers working to white depending on my level of ambition.

White's actually a tough colour to do well, 'cause you can't highlight it and if you shade it it's not white anymore. I've read the goal isn't white, but the illusion of white.

I coped out when I painted my sisters and picked a more natural blond colour palette.

Archived