The Carlovian Crusade / ETL III

Hello brothers,
Welcome to my first crusade and ETLIII WIP Thread. First of all I'll pick out some of my attempts at painting to date, comments and advice as I begin this crusade are welcome smile.png

Sword Brethren Squad

Castellan

High Marshal Helbrecht

Chaplain

Company Standard

Emperor's Champion

Company Champion

Company Champion

Emperor's Champion

Apothecary

Sword Brother

And of course my WIP, started on my crusaders, undercoated my Emperor's Champion and Castellan Draco and have done a bit on my vehicles.

WIP Crusaders

WIP Emp Champion and Draco

Holy Terra! The Chapter banner is awesome. Did you freehand that?

And of course: Good luck with your vows! Great to have you, Brother Chooochooo! laugh.png

Great stuff. Beautiful models (great selection of colours - the black cape on the Emperor's Champion is neat!), interesting conversion and an awesome banner.

If I may, I'd just suggest to use a wash (or is it shade now?) on the tabards/robes to add more shades.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, looking forward to aiding BT victory in ETL III!

@Brother Christopher, thanks a lot, glad you like them. I'm not painting very long, have only used washes so far for metallics. I really must start experimenting with shading on the non-metals! I normally start dark and build up 5-6 layers until the I hit my brightest colour, but I'm never really happy with the result, especially on larger items like capes. Any advice is appreciated :)

I can tell you how I do my tabards, but that probably isn't the "right" way to do it. But it's "right" for me.

I never managed to understand this layer technique, so I found my own solution which works for me. It's quick and the effect are satysfying (well, for me). Note that I'm still using paints from the old Citadel range. I basecoat the tabard (bleched bone), then I add a lighter layer (bleached bone + skull white), I wait for the paint to dry, then I apply wash (devlan mud) roughly in the recesses, then waiting again. After this I coer the undesired brownish areas (excess of the wash) with bleached bone/bleached bone+skull white and add a final highlight.

And this is how it works for me.

Great start to your crusade brother. Again as with what others have been saying that is an awesome chapter banner.  

On the topic of your layers, your method is great, as is Brother Christophers ( Which by the way I love your tabards) just remember when moving onto your lighter layers to mix it abit with the before darker layer to get that gradient to the lighter colours. Most of the times with my reds i will have a extra brush ready that is just wet to help blend the two colours together, mainly because I cant wet blend worth a damn. 

Again awesome work look forward to seeing more.

HLVW

@ Brother Christopher, thanks for the tutorial, I really like the sword brethren. I'll definitely give it a go soon.

@HLVW, thanks for tip, I've just got in some drying retarder, so that should help me to do some blending. If I'm being honest, I've also bought an airbrush! It may be running before I can walk as they say, but it'll at least help me crank out some vehicles.

Awesome work brother and I have to echo everyone elses comments, especially on the banner. Well done.

You will love using an airbrush. It will revolutionize how you apply base coats to your figures and greatly expedite painting vehicles. I had one for a couple of years and never used it, then got caught up in the first ETL and it was like magic. The airbrush has really helped me maintain the consistency of my base coats and greatly sped up my production...which just might be helpful to you in the next couple of months. ;)

Glad to have you onboard, Brother!

ZEAL!

Archived