Fenris unleashed, The Night Fury is getting paint (slowly)!

Hi,

I just joined Bolter & Chaisword today and I thought it would be nice to put up some pictures of what I have been working on.

I work offshore and find that at shift end I get an hour or 2 to indulge myself and I am starting to get a wee bit of notoriety now. Thankfully the guys out here are far more tolerant & I daresay encouraging about my pastime.

Well as you can gather from the title I am working on Space Wolves and I would like to put together a themed army arond the 1st war of Armageddon. This is for a few reasons. 1 I cannot do snow bases to savemy life. 2. It means I can vary the army a bit, as it was drawn from all over the chapter. 3. I can branch out into usable allies (Grey Knights and Imperial Guard) at some point in the future.

The picures are a bit scrappy as I am trying to pullthem in from different places but hopefully it will make some sense.

If not message me and I will see if I can straightenthem out.

Thanks for looking, C&C always welcome.

DSC 0067

This is around 60% of my army here. Not in the picture is:

10 TWC & Harald Deathwolf

20 Grey Hunters

15 Blood claws

2 Drop pods & 1 Land Raider, 1 Land Raider Helios, 1 Land Raider Achilles, 1 Land Raider Crusader & another Land raider that may become a Terminus Ultra

Also not included is what is sitting on my desk just now biggrin.png

Another 27 Terminaors bwah hahaha....

The rout

Most of which can be seen here

Thriller

And dancing to thriller haha...
More to follow soon smile.png

I have managed to get my Tartaros terminators mostly done. I need to break out the green stuff and start wolfing them up a bit.

While they will be in use for my 40K games I have gone with a 30K colour scheme, why? Well first off all Tartaros and Cataphracts will be Grimnar's company, they are the best of the best and as such they get the best armour. To honour their vows of fealtyto Russ they are the only ones allowed to bear the legions colours.

Plus when 30K rolls along I have them in the right colour scheme :D

Front

left

back

right

C & C is most welcome.

I have also decided that I want to do my own shields for the terminators, I really like the old norse aesthetic and think that it blends well with the Space Wolves, as such I have been workg on a few prototypes, what do you thnk? These are still very early days still.

Shield wall

Wolf shield

Raven shield

Knot work madness

It was knot in vain

Shield 5

SAM 1975

The fnal picture is to show the size of the shield roughly when fitted (with blu-tac) to the Tartaros' arm.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sorting through my pictures to try and get some form of coherency going.

I purchased some Jusaerin with a view to converting to Wolf Guard, they are really nice models, but the spikes and eyes, just dont work, so out cme the knife and files and voila!!

New Wolf Guard!, the spikes are now studs and the eyes are gone. In some areas I now have big spaces to fill, so maybe when I pluck up the courage i will try some free hand, who knows.

Doing golds on the justaerin

SAM 1955

I am trying to keep to a limited pallette to help move things along, but I am hoping that, each model can be a little unique while still looking like a cohesive force.

Edit: Welcome to B&C

Great stuff mate, I see what you mean by fenris unleashed how many points would you say roughly there is in that photo?

Also love the shields whats the plan with them I really love the norse/celtic art work impressive freehand skills there smile.png my only niggle would be maybe a dark rim colour? or have more definition between the crest and the edge. The justerians *cough* though are fantastic great grey look forward to what you do to finish them off.

(not in your forum but love the wolf lord concepts in your album)

Welcome to B&C!

I always get a bit envious when people casually first post around 100 models that are at reasonable states of completion..

I think the shields are a pretty cool idea for sure. They'll offer a great opportunity to weather them up and play with that kind of thing!

With regards to the size, I'd say that they're spot on. Have you considered adding a boss to the centre to take it properly old-school?

I'd say nice start...but I think I'll change that to keep it up! It seems more appropriate when you have more models in your first couple of posts than my entire collection!!

Hi, Thank you for all your kind comments.

@ Squeaky, thank you, I am glad that you like the shields smile.png They are a prototype just now, the plan is to bulk out the rim with greenstuff or card to the front, possibly betwwen the rim and shield introduce a brown or black to help create a border, the back, I am not sure if I will go with a plain metal back and rim, or go old-school and try o do wood panelling, which do you think would look good?

As for the Justaerin, I fancy doing some wolfy bits to them, maybe some charms/ runes a bit of fur, but its hard to kknow where to draw the line from looking good to caricature... I need to think on that one. The other part is te belt buckels with the large blank areas, I am scared stiff of freehanding that too.

The helms I think I will do lke the Space Wlves in IA 11

btw I notice that SW are not allowed to use IA11 for the ETL, why is that? I like the look of your Carcharadon Astra, with his suitably grisly trophy, I have a Tyberos at home, just waiting to become a Lone Wolf!

@Grotsmasha aka Jono, thanks for looking in. I like the power sword on your Asmodai model, the Cypher backpack helps make him stand out too & the 25th anniversary model also looks great .

@Blissful Brushes: Cheers, I have been collecting Space Wolves since the mid 90's so they should have a ecent lick of paint on them by now, so in a way it is cheating to hurl everything out there. promise to spare you feeling envy to just stick to whats on the paint desk smile.png

As for the shields, I do like the idea of proper old school and I will bear it in mind for future shields. The wolf and Raven were chosen by friends so I dont want to mess with those too much, but I could see it on the others.

It's actually a great idea, thank you. When I get off the boat i will go hunting in the bead tray and see what I can get smile.png I am glad the size seems about right too.

Oh Squeaky made reference to other images in my gallery:

So I will show them here.

SAM_1989.JPG

SAM_1996.JPG

SAM_1995.JPG

This is my idea for a scratch build of Logan Grimnar. It will still need a lot of work, some wolf-ifying, clean up the axe sculpt on the wolf heads to it etc, but I think it will look pretty good if I can pull it off.
The other one:

SAM_1990.JPG

SAM_1991.JPG

Was my plan for Bran Redmaw's second in command based on the picture from IA11. From the fluff we know that as Redmaw is suffering more from the curse of the wulfen he spends less time with his men, often issuing orders before battle before going out alone, leaving his second in command in charge,
The artwork shows a really cool warrior and this will be my take on him. I will use the bulls head as a template to sculpt the wolfs head and hack offthe horns, the skulls can get fangs and some of the runes can get filled in, the wolf him up.
I am thinking Moloc's shield might have to go though.

Nice start dantay_xv. That's a ton of models you have to work on there.

As for ETL and IA11. Not totally sure that it's not aloud so it may be worth posting that question in the Space Wolves ETL Strategem thread (follow your nose and you'll find it). I'm sure you will get your answer there. And watch out for Arez and co. Can get a little wild at times (with right encouragement...but I'll keep that to myself).

@ Greyall, thanks, I am glad tha yuo like him. It is a legion praetor arms and body TWC head dwarf axe and GK storm bolter so far, thinking a GK pointy hand too if I have 1. But yes it does look good, here's hoping my sculpting and painting can do it justice smile.png

@ Forte: Thank you & yes a lot to work through, but hopefully I can get them done sometime this decade hahaha... I am a very slow painter. Who is Arez and should I be worried?? And you divine flayers look great, plus I am liking the look of your Ahriman conversion

@ Daemonclaw: Thanks for liking the shields, hopefully I can pull them off!! Only another 19 to make hahaha... By the way, did you sculpt the face that is on your avatar? If so that is blimmin' amazing!

If anyone has any celtic designs or norse designs that they would like to see incorporated on to a shield let me know please.

Thanks

If he's on form you'll get to know Arez pretty quick.

As for feedback on your stuff. Trust me that if you throw that one open to the Wolves you'll get a ton of stuff.

And thank you too :tu:

Cool, I look forward to meeting Arez, how do I open up to feedback from the Space Wolves forum?

Do they have their own WIP page or do I link this somehow?

@ ChaplainMikey: Thanks, I hope that you like what will be upcoming over the next weeks and months... Rarely does a model go unconverted :D

Anyhoo, onwards & upwards. 8 more models to work on just now got the basic yellow, black and brown on them, time to make them shioe!! :)

SAM 1997

SAM 1998

Group shot:

Yellows done:

SAM 2002

SAM 1999

SAM 2000

SAM 2001

Rarrr!! Meet my hammer of doom :D

And black pads done:

SAM 2003

SAM 2005

SAM 2004

And lastly a group shot:

SAM 2007

Next up is highlighting the browns and then move on to golds. Hope you enjoy what you are seeing :)
Good night all!

I couldn't sleep, so up at 3am :(

Did the brown leather on my Wolf Guard. Picture is a bit dark, so I will try again later.

Got to go to work

SAM 2008

Thanks for looking :)

Hi, Thank you for all your kind comments.

@ Squeaky, thank you, I am glad that you like the shields smile.png They are a prototype just now, the plan is to bulk out the rim with greenstuff or card to the front, possibly betwwen the rim and shield introduce a brown or black to help create a border, the back, I am not sure if I will go with a plain metal back and rim, or go old-school and try o do wood panelling, which do you think would look good?

As for the Justaerin, I fancy doing some wolfy bits to them, maybe some charms/ runes a bit of fur, but its hard to kknow where to draw the line from looking good to caricature... I need to think on that one. The other part is te belt buckels with the large blank areas, I am scared stiff of freehanding that too.

The helms I think I will do lke the Space Wlves in IA 11

btw I notice that SW are not allowed to use IA11 for the ETL, why is that? I like the look of your Carcharadon Astra, with his suitably grisly trophy, I have a Tyberos at home, just waiting to become a Lone Wolf!

*snip*

Cheers :) honestly I dont know they are thunder shields so part of me is saying metal backing but I think the wolves might clad the shield in wood to remind them of home? That and wood will look quite unique.

Look forward to that lone wolf !!!! :P

Oh, I'll make sure I get to him soon enough.

When I am working 2 weeks offshore, I have a few hours every night which I like to use for painting etc, so when I reclaim him from my friends house, I'll be on it, like a car bonnet!!

Out of curiosity how do I link this over to the Space Wolves sub-forum?

I have created another topic in the Space Wolves forum, basically a mirror of this one. I plan to update both as I go to make sure everything is covered.

Tonight I will be working on the golds for the hammers and axes. Almost done whew!! Justa a shame I cant enter most of my terminators into the ETL this year.

I need 5 designs for the Thunder hammer guys

So, over my fellow B & C brothers & Sisters:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/myshielddesigns-1.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/Shielddesign2.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/Ravenshields.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/Newershieldideas.jpg

Have at it, the first 5 go up[ on to my Thunder hammer Wolves, do not worry though as all my terminators will bear a shield at some point, so if you have adesign you like, or have your own design you'd lie to see on a model get in touch... For Russ and the All-Father!!

Well last update of the night: Did the helms, although towards the end I was getting cross-eyed.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/SAM_2032.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/SAM_2033.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/SAM_2034.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/SAM_2035.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/SAM_2036.jpg

The helms are not glued in.

Still to do: 1. The steel... Ran out of badab black and my paints are going solid, the A?C is drying everything out.

Tidy up the golds

Sort the hammer haft after I get my badab black!

Hope you guys like smile.png

Archived