Fenris unleashed, The Night Fury is getting paint (slowly)!

Hey Squeaky, sorry for the late reply, hings have been a bit busy here.

The general concensus is that the 1p's are best, so thats what we will go with. I also like the blades on the terminators and will stick with them.

Rule of cool and all that jazz... How is your foray into the Dark side going Squeaky?

I have been a bit bummed out as it seems the chainfist, storm shield combo may be gone, however I have heard that it may only apply to Lone Wolves... If so then things just got brighter.

So what have I been up to? Well I brought out my terminators and also this bad boy!!

Ready for some fly-bys and generally giving the Wolves some AA- close support. Its still half bult as I have had to use a fair amount of Green stuff on it, partly what you expect from a FW model and partly my own over zealousness to get it built.. With tha in mind I have made a tentative start on painting small areas of the model and need some advice!!

I am going for a Heresy era very dark grey, almost black look in the hope i will look nice and aged, but I am also considering doing the underside of it a lighter grey. Not for camouflage, but in all the pictures and movies, the Wyrm and Wyverns have a lighter underside compared to the rest of their scaly skin and I thought to emulate that on my Fire Raptor.

Do you think it's a good idea? Also should I use the panel lines as the break point between the 2 colours or should I do a wee smidgeon of blending between the 2?

Or should I just go for a straight Dark grey all over?

Here is where I am at so far..

P1000930

Side view: Change colours along the lower panel?

P1000931

Under side: Do I keep it all dark or go for the lighter underside?

P1000932

Started getting paint into the cockpit, need to finish up all the dials, scrrens and buttons. And get the scanner array straightend out too. The hatch behind the pilot will get a nice shield design in the centre too.

P1000933

P1000934

P1000935

Ball turrets almost completed... Man there is an overwhelming amount of detail on these. Will magnetise the guns when I get home to my magnets. Outer casing needs tidied up and highlights done on the grey.

So any hints tips, opinions C&C

Hello dantay no worries I haven't fared any better side tracked again with a small project but I'am painting tyberos and a few of the terminators so hopefully chuck up some progress of something soon xD.

Cool glad to hear your sticking with the blades and nice raptor, I would say try it in one solid block of dark grey and see how you feel about it. I do like the 2 tone almost underbelly idea though so if the one colour isn't enough maybe brave it and give it a bash after you've had a good hard look at it :) and gosh yeh the amount of detail in there ..... great start though!

Thanks for the tip Squeaky.

I have had a think about it and I'd like to go down the two tone route

But which grey will I use for the lighter colour?

Dawnstone?

Administratum Grey?

Fenrisian Grey?

Hi Styrofoam, how are things? How's the Red Corsairs going? Glad you like the thread :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Stuff-8-bars-Make-instant-mould-New-Material-Warhammer-40k-/281150995004?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item4175e7ba3c

This is the stuff. It says in the description you can use resin. Watch the videos, the stuff is ace!!

Things are good thanks for asking. As for my RC's ... pretty slow. I'm tired of painting red lol. because of it, I actually started making a renegade unit of Oathbreakers. To kinda mix things up. I did my first UltraMarine

Thanks for the link I might try it out. Still worried about resin tho. It gets pretty hot when it cures. all my casting supplies have gone hard and im not interested in buying more. But this stuff looks pretty interesting and I really like how you used it.

Thanks Styro. Yes, its amazingly easy to use and the fact its reuse-able too helps. I'll keep tabs to see how the resin goes as I am curious about that. The video shows using milliput and I used greenstuff really easily.

I was watching your Corsairs on dakka, and you got really good with the reds. I liked your Space Wolves mix too, really cool.

That Ultra rocks btw, I really like the weathering. 

Hey guys & gals, happy lunch time... Yep the day is half done!! :)

However it is not all good news today. I have realised that I cannot complete my Raptor before going back onshore! This is due to me forgetting to pack my spare pot of standard mechanicus grey, so painting of the upper hull and wings may have to go on hold... (Plus I also forgot to pack any brush bigger than a GW detail brush, besides the big drybrush, what a muppet I am)

So what does that mean for the Raptor? Well although I can't complete, it doesn't mean that I shouldn't stop. So to that end I will get the underside painted and maybe coated with Agrax Earthshade instead of Nuln Oil (curious to see what kind of difference it will make to the model).

It also means I can focus on the other bits and the fiddly details which make this a superb model.

To that end I have made a start on the engines and missile pods.

P1000952

P1000953

P1000954

There is still a fair way to go, and the engine cowling is looking a bit (brassy). What do you guys think? I am trying to get an aged golden colour, so I'd like to take it up to a similar brightness as I did on the turrets.

P1000937

Will it look good as gold? Do I keep the engines brazen? Or should I go for something darker, like the black engine covers on the other end?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and please hit me with some feedback, I could do with all the help I can get, I really want to make this a centrepiece for my army. 

Looks similar to bluestuff, let me know how it works out.

In other news, a very depressed wife. She went to book her plane tickets to visit her mum to find they went up nearly £200.

Thankfully the same day a cheque from the taxman arrived for  a little over the price hike of the tickets.

So I guess for once I should be grate to HMRC... No painting done tonight as consoling grumpy wifey and trying to get a good deal on a pair of tickets. Will update tomorrow... Promise!

Well, not sure if this is worth the wait but got the brass and exhaust on the engines done this evening... Also been working on a few ideas for wing designs and for the nose, but I'll save that for another day.

I am glad you are enjoying the thread Chaplain, yours is pretty awesome also

P1000961

P1000960

P1000962

How is the heat marks? 

Thanks for looking.

Beware the rout We are coming for you!!!

P1000988

P1000989

P1000987

P1000985

Got the underside washed and a very rough drybrush, will see how it looks in the morning with fresh eyes.

Night all!!

Hey Styro, any news on your oyamaru? 

I have done a wee reboot of my adopt a puppy scheme.

P1010009

This is the latest shield to be done for my terminators.

I currently have 1 Tartaros and 4 cataphractii requiring shields plus atleast 10 indomitus terminators.

All I ask, is that if you wish to, please choose a shield design for them and maybe a name for your chosen champion.

I have compiled a new gallery with some shield ideas, however if you have a design idea of your own, please feel free to put it forward.

Cheers

PS Broher Dallo, your shield is pretty much done... Please step forward and nominimate a terminator. Sorry I have been so slow to get round to asking.

Not yet, prolly have to wait 5 more days. lol.

Thats some great freehand work you got there. Not sure if I would have the patience. This was the extent of my freehand patterns on my Rhino Hatch door. I still have 3 more to make. keep it up cant wait to see more

Thanks DeathSpectre smile.png

This shield is for Vykryl. I will get Dallo's up next.

The shield 2 posts above is for Flint 13, the dark blue in to black is because she is a Night Lords player.

Anyway, not so much an update, but these are the 5 guys looking for shields and names... Choose your champion!!

SAM 2142

SAM 2143

SAM 2144

Gone, chosen by Konnavaer

SAM 2145

Gone. Chosen by Rune Priest Sven.

SAM 2146

Archived