Fenris unleashed, The Night Fury is getting paint (slowly)!

Hahaha... a vehicle tattoo is about right as that is where most of the designs I have been looking at come from. And I want the designs to be a representation of what she is... So yeah a tattoo probably about covers it. Good call Flint

I am glad you like it smile.png

A little progress over lunch.... I have 2 or 3 designs I quite like for the front end so we shall see how we go....

Design number 1. Doesnt look so great just now as I have to sort some of the knots and the wolf eye. And te squiggle by her mouth What do you think?

P1010019

P1010018

P1010017

Should I leave the markings black, like a camo stealth/ hunter kind of thing? Go for an almost black gunmetal kind of colour, or bling the heck out of it with gold? Or maybe there is another colour I should use, like a deep dark blue... Like a tattoo?

Any and all opinions welcome!

Okay, so this is really a rough version of how I have done my vehicle markings:

I was asked by a friend on B&C how I did the markings on the Raptor, and asked to do a tutorial.

So here it is, my first tutorial. Hope it goes okay, let me know if its good, bad or ugly... I can take it!!

The first thing I will say before I kick off is that the designs I have used are not mine, they are designs I have found online and done by people far more talented than I.

I just made them fit on my tanks....

Clicking on pictures enlarges them!

P1010021

Okay, so this is my wing, I have used 2mm single strand cable as pinning struts and intentionally left them long so the wings fit on without being glued in place. Super portable and makes it easy to paint the model in sections and to also see it as a whole :)

My advice. Pinning is your friend on big models....

P1010031

I chose some designs I like and after making measurements, tried to set it up, that it would fit pretty closely to where I want it to go. I also drew up extra parts. Next tip... Always...Always make a mirror copy because it will make your life so much easier to do the painting on the other side!

P1000991

P1010001

Try it out in a few different ways and find what suits you. Sometimes a tweak here or there may reap unexpected rewards. Case in point, making it fit was frustrating, so, use more than just the wing!
If you are using more than 1 piece you can now do a dry fit to see how it fits together. Dry fit is so important on complex shapes as extra length might be needed here or there plus it lets you look at the model from different angles, making sure the design doesn't look goofy from one side but awesome from another.

P1010031

When yo are happy with the dry fit, make sure you got all the bits handy and make sure you have enough for both sides. And print them off. Tip: Do the printing during your lunch break at work, saves wasting your paper at home ;) I am stuck on an oilrig, so I don't have much choice in the matter.

P1010022

Carefully cut out the sections as tightly to the edges as you can and place them on the area you want to sketch it out on. Blu-tac or hold the paper diagram in place and use it a s a template to draw out the rough shape.

P1010024

You should end up with something like this, doesn't look like much yet, but it's a start. I suggest using a soft pencil for this. I am using a 4B technical pencil for this. It blunts fast but it shows up well on the paint and doesn't rub off like ink.

P1010025

Keeping your template to hand,freehand out the details,. Don't worry about making mistakes as you can rub them out. If you are nervous about damaging the paint then put down a coat of varnish first to ensure it doesn't get damaged.

If you have a very simple shape then cut out totally and skip this part by using it as a stencil.

I free handed this as you can see as I have just drawn over each loop etc so I can keep my lines where I want them. It looks a little scrappy, but it is starting to come together.

P1010026

I am really going to go on a rant now... Something I learned the really hard way!!

You want your paint really thinned out, I loaded my brush once with black (you can use any colour) then loaded my brush about 3-4 times with water and mixed in, so it was nice and thin. Thinning medium works better and you use less, stays wet longer, but mine has run out :( water works pretty well. I don't know how much you thin your paint... so make it how you feel comfortable. If you go too far you end up with nuln oil wash, just dilute a little and then try on paper or some prepainted spue, when the paint goes on nice and smooth and you can control it, then that's where you want it. If its going on and looking a bit lumpy or the edges are wavy, then you are too thick (or at least for me)

P1010037

The closest line is straight Abaddon black, notice it all comes off the brush at once in a clump and then you are spreading the rest, next line is the same black but with each line is an additional drop of water. You can see how the colour is less strong but it kmoves much smoother, so add water till you hit your sweet spot. I go 3-4, and if needed I can go over it to darken it, plus it dries on the model really fast and smooth. This is important because if you ant to repaint then you have a flat surface with no lumps. Also because some of the base colour is coming trough it makes blending/highlighting look far more natural.

P1010014

Can you see where I didn't thin the grey on clean up?

Rant over... Thin your paints!!!

P1010028

Now slowly but surely fill out your pattern, do not panic if you go outside the lines or make any mistakes, you can easily cover over it later, if you miss a spot, go back and get it. Take your time, cos te paint on the pallette will keep wet and if it starts to get a bit sticky just add a wee dab of water.

Chill to some music:
When I listen to this I want a Knight titan!
Feel like a super hero painting away while tapping your feet....
What can I say? I am ... Eclectic in my music tastes...

P1010027

Once you've gone back over it and you are happy step back compare and admire your work... I actually think this second attempt is better than the first. Use a really thin eraser to get rid of any excess pencil markings.

Try not to look too smug :D

P1010030

These are some more I am considering trying on the Raptor as nose art, what do you think?

I really hope this made sense and you enjoyed reading through. If you have any questions or tips on how to make it better please let me know

Cheers

Continuing on from above.

The front end of the Night Fury (more of her story to follow)

After doing such big designs on her wings, as  much as I like the design on the front end, it feels a bit 'over crowded'

P1010017

P1010019

I am debating whether I should go with the big brash nose-art. Maybe I should make it much smaller. The knotwork seems to clash in styles also.

I also had a few other ideas

P1010038

P1010039

The Great wolf on the body, with a minimum amount of decorative knotwork, either front or back. Maybe even on the wing thrusters. She is the Night Fury, Relic of the old times, The guardian of Russ... Recently returned to the Rout, she was once the Russ' most vehement protector, always circling the battlefield lie a hawkwatching over te primarch and diving into te fray to keep him from mortal harm, like a mother raptor protecting her own... So it is important that I fit the Great Wolfs symbol somewhere. As Russ said "She is a vengeful bitch, but she is mine and she is beautiful and glorious, while she circles the skies like a hawk on the wind I know that my life and my home are safe from harm"

So I want to make her glorious, not too gaudy.

P1010040

P1010042

P1010043

A few other thoughts.... What do you think?

dragon knot

This is for the rear hatch.. To represent the 2 gunners in their turrets

I have a bunch of other stuff in here: so if you see something you think more appropriate feel free to offer it up.

Thanks

Hey, I received that oyumaru stuff in the mail yesterday and hopefully I get a chance to play with it after work today. I'll keep you posted.

I think the hull tattoos are amazing. Great Tutorial. I also like that they are dark. Almost like ghost flames you see on cars

The ones I like are

gallery_79710_9938_1185.jpg

gallery_79710_9938_7315.jpg

gallery_79710_9938_3687.jpg

^^^just the head for this one

I'd say picture 3 it's not as in your face and the knot work is similar to the dragon, maybe extended it under the belly or over the turrets? But great work mate that raptor is coming along nicely

Archived