2000pts word bearers - Calth based

badgermeister

I have plans to build up a word bearers force over the coming 6 months so i can get some decent gaming in when i next have some decent forecasted time off from work in November.

I already own a sizeable ad mech force but fluff wise i love stories in the first Heretic and then all the stories surrounding the events on Calth.  I'll be starting a list at 2000pts and then building incrementally to 3000pts for the larger games :)

so far i have this list drafted

Erebus

Chaplain

10 x Gal Vorbak (2 x melta, dark marytr - Lightning claws, Melta bomb, Art, Armour)

2 x Apothecarys

20 x Tactical marines + Power fist

20 x Despoilers + Power fist, nuncio vox, Dark channeling

6 x tactical support (5 x volkite calivers + power fist) - unless the SGt can get a volkite now???

Spartan + ceramite armour + flare shield

Sicaran + HB sponsons

Its 2k on the nose and the idea is to run the despoilers/medic in the spartan with Erebus into combat where they can be joined by the Gal Vorbak by Deepstrike for one immense alpha strike.

any advice? sound pretty solid?

I like it, but for my feelng not enough ant tank! (CC is okay, but not your ranged!!!)

And probally a dumb question when you're trying to help someone! But where are the rules for the despoilers?

just to get my extra attacks in and with dark channeling they do have some nasty potential upgrades to swamp the enemy with.

i was playing with the idea as to whether the sicaran/volkite support would be best spent in getting 3 x dakka predators? or make it 2 sicarans?

kit's done some wonderful thread posts on the differences between the sicaran's and predator squads.  I highly recommend doing a little post search for those (try starting with his own army list thread somewhere here).

I personally went Sicaran's, if you're going to do heresy, why not make it with unique sexy tanks?  Ok, so if it's very pre-heresy, they might be a little too new to have in droves or even in your army at all, but if you use them for slightly pre-heresy, heresy or post heresy era, they should be fine.  If you prefer the dakka because of cost, looks, numbers or other reasons, then they're also a great choice.

im in a lucky position that financial cost isn't much of an issue and I'm looking to prep a list to take and play with at next years heresy weekender (in norway working for this years ermm.gif )

i want it to be competitive without being too WAAC in its list build.

i don't care too much for terminators - hence their absence the same for contemptors.

i have chosen a lot regarding my love of the miniatures and playing predominantly on a city board i have i feel i have the right balance - i think the list choice of volkite/sicaran is a better choice as I'm likely to sit my volkites in cover as a stubborn harassment team but i know its points that could be spent elsewhere. plasma pred would be a good one?

i already have 20 x tacticals + WB pads to paint up so will wait out for more feedback and how the rules will change as a squadron benefitting from a psyker may certainly be more beneficial than running 2 separate units.

• 1 month later...

So, the list is working its way through to near completion once my next order from FW comes in - before i start airbrushing the tac squads up - with the benefit of wisdom from the 7th edition gamers here - what is better?

1. Power weapon + melta bomb

or

2. Power fist

both cost the same but have either of these been nerfed in 7th?

modification on list - C+C please

Erebus

Chaplain

10 x Gal Vorbak (2 x melta, dark marytr - Lightning claws, Art Armour)

2 x Apothecarys

Spartan + ceramite armour + flare shield

Achilles with Volkite Culverins

Same tactics as before but i was concerned that i would have my sicaran popped pretty quickly so wanted a more robust mobile tank to go to war with.

I may have to trim off 5 points but initial thoughts would be appreciated

Archived