Tallarn: Executioner... 9/10

I just needed to say that out loud. I just finished the novella, and Mr. French just officially moved to "Free Beer" status in my Book of Awesomeness.

Also, more proof that you don't need a bloody Primarch in a book for it to be amazing in the Heresy setting.

Now, I wait impatiently for the next book....

Spoilers, completely. You know you want to.

Tallarn was a muster world during one of the major phases of the Crusade. When it stopped being useful, too far away from the front, it was basically abandoned. Whole regiments, and stockpiles of gear, equipment, dismantled tanks, etc, just left there. When the enemy comes, these immense warehouse structures are the only salvation from the onslaught. The whole world dies, except for those who seal themselves off.

This left a surviving population of military personnel and full to bursting levels of civilians. And more gear and tanks than they had people to use them. It was glorious. When the cover scene happens in the book, ooph. It's good.

Visible enemies are the Iron Warriors, but Alpha Legion is clearly involved as well.

Having spent the first part of my career rolling in the back of M3 Bradley's, I couldn't agree more.

The best part? The book was entirely from the point of view of men and women.

People. Not Legionaries.

And it was done so dang well. Mr. French did his homework.

I would assume it would be released in ebook format the same time it is re-released in non limited hardback and audio. Maybe sometime next year?

Brotherhood of the Storm is next on the re-release list, and that should be up sometime very soon, as its already listed in the front of The Vengeful Spirit.

Damn, now I really regret I didn't get it when I had the chance.

I would assume it would be released in ebook format the same time it is re-released in non limited hardback and audio. Maybe sometime next year?

Brotherhood of the Storm is next on the re-release list, and that should be up sometime very soon, as its already listed in the front of The Vengeful Spirit.

Actually, BotS was re-released in January, with a pre-release at the Weekender in November.

The next in line is Corax: Soulforge, followed by Scorched Earth and then Tallarn: Executioner. I think all three will be released some time in next eighteen months.

That's pure speculation, though. Both Promethean Sun and Aurelian took more than two years to be released regularly, but Brotherhood of the Storm took just fifteen months.

I actually, having just finished it, think that 9/10 is probably too generous. But equally, just scoring it out of ten is perhaps harsh. I did enjoy the story - and it was well written, but like most of John French's books, I felt it was a bit of a slow burn - which you really don't have in 120 pages. Perhaps I'm being harsh on what was, for all intents and purposes, a good read - and it did leave me wanting more. I just wonder if a full on book would've been better than smaller, limited releases - and not necessarily as a Heresy novel.

I think that's one of the reasons that I liked it so much; once I finished it, I couldn't stop thinking about the characters, and where the story will go next. I do wish that the next installment had been the next novella released, but we got Ravenlord instead...

But you're right, it probably would have been better to wait and release it as one full length novel, instead of splitting it up into novellas.

Haha naturally. It's a shame though from that perspective - the other Novellas have been good at that length, enough - without dragging out their respective stories. I totally get what you mean about thinking about it thereafter - and perhaps that's the source of my frustration that a longer book would've perhaps made it into a better series (potentially spanning multiple books at a fuller length).

Archived