Need Advice on Homebrew Deathwatch rules

Link2edition

I have a player in my group who is running a BT assault marine and wants to involve jumpack related acrobatics into his close combat fighting. I told him this was fine but I would need to find a way to standardize it. His character back story supports this manner of fighting.

I would like the community's opinion on creating a system for this. Perhaps I should allow him pilot checks to get minor WS+Damage bonuses?

All opinions are appreciated, thanks!

I am also looking for a standard system for melee weapon mods.

I think helping define the type of acrobatics would definitely help :)

If its a relatively simple action then maybe just a straight Agility test before hand? Jump packs are not really designed for aerial stunts or acrobatics, their use is really just to get the marine into combat or out of quicker. Or boost movement obviously. Even a marine will struggle to control his descent, fight, use jump pack and perform a acrobatic manoeuvre.....

BCC

I see.

He was thinking of using the jump pack to flip around behind an enemy to get some manner of circumstance bonus. I didn't want to tell him no, but I wasn't sure how to work that.

He is NOT familiar with 40k fluff, so perhaps the better solution would be to show him the above video.

A lot of it I should will also depend upon his characters demeanour and persona too. If he's a headstrong Blood Claw then attempting this kind of feat maybe appealing.....I think your friend viewing the video will definitely help!

Jump packs do let you "jink" essentially also, kind of a powered sideways jump, in the fluff....this maybe of note.

And also (now please do not think I'm teaching you to suck eggs! :) ) never be afraid of saying no to the players. You're the Games Master. Whilst its not your job to go out of your way to kill the characters, far from it you're actually closer to a narrator of their own stories, you are the final say on what occurs. No ifs, no buts, what the GM says goes. ;)

BCC

• 2 weeks later...

I would say no.  He is a Space Marine and not an Eldar Harlequin.  The Jumpacks are designed to cover ground laterally or provide a quick means to gain elevation.  Acrobatics is not something I associate with an Astartes in Power Armor nor is it, IMO, in the conception nor design of the equipment.  I can stretch things in translating from TTG to RPG, but I don't think this is a stretch that could be justified.  There are pluses with it in gaining Knockdown but adding acrobatic moves is just too far a stretch.

• 4 months later...

*update*

I ended up allowing him to make an agility roll to make precise maneuvers (landing ontop of an enemy tank, jumping into difficult terrain ect.) failing the roll meant he scattered from his intended location.

This made for good roleplay while keeping it fluffy. The campaign has proceeded very well.

Thank you all for your input!

Archived