Abhuman Insanity

I don't know who all remembers them but at one time there were abhuman beastmen that were considered part of the imperium. While you can still score some of these every know and then the models are old and metal.  So I was thinking about doing a guard or Inquisition detachment blob made up of these guys.  I would mix Catachan bodies with parts from the fantasy beastmen arms and heads with weapon swaps.  What are your thoughts on this?  Of course this army would increase by adding Ogres, Ratlings, and Squats.

Go for it, it sounds like an interesting project, you also might consider looking into fantasy greenskins for some pieces as well. IIRC, some of the beastmen are a little big though, so sizing might seem off.

Well if the bodies on regular guard are too small I may hack the torso's off the beastmen and just use guard legs with the torsos from Ungors since they are smaller than Gors.  Bray Shamans would be the psychers or priests.  I would just need to remove all Chaos symbols and use imperial eagles etc.  

you could achieve this by mixing and matching plastic IG bits with fantasy ungors to achieve the same thing...maybe some ogryn parts on gors for sergeants? That would give you far more models along the same theme. That's actually my plan for cultists if I ever do a chaos army...

Will do.  I will throw a link in here if I get around to starting them.  Right now I am finishing up a 40 man blob of guard that work with my two SM armies.  Of course my SM's won't have anything to do with Abhumans, but a radical Inquisitor will.....

I thoroughly recommend the Ungor kit. Lots of bitz, and arms easily converted to hold lasguns (getting together enough lasguns is another issue...).

I used them myself for my penal legion and intend to get more so they can be used as conscripts.

Photos here if you want to see them:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/269424-shrineworld-garrison-priest-completed-49/?do=findComment&comment=3281493

Surgically implanted spinal bombs optional :)

If you want to play regular ogryns, you could use fantasy ogres to save some cash.

Anyway, I wish you luck with you project and remember, should I ever come across you unclean and tainted army, I shall burn you with holy flame ;)

built some of these awhile back never painted them,and now it appears that I'll have to call them conscripts. I used wfb,ungors,and catachan arms and legs. I also used the catachan ,torsosthe gear came from the catachan's, as well as kroot carnvore squads.

I like the ungors as cultists, myself, but I can totally see the variatus angle...I mean, the US Army segregated discriminated-against minorities into pure(ly impure?) regiments in the early 20th century, so entire units of mutants, why not?  Why wouldn't a crafty backwater planetary governor be able to get away with filling his entire tithe with abhumans?  They'd probably all be dead before a particularly conservative inquisitor found out!

Archived