New FAQ's are up.

Syphid

Nephilim and DW sgts still nerfed but PFG works inside a vehicle. Lets make this one count!! Spread the LR terror!

I'm going to go trolling in a rhino for the lulz

Also veterans can now be a drop pod of doom.

The veterans can each take a combi weapon now with a cap of 10. 10 melta shots against the rear armor of a wave serpent anyone??

Nephilim and DW sgts still nerfed but PFG works inside a vehicle. Lets make this one count!! Spread the LR terror!

I'm going to go trolling in a rhino for the lulz

Also veterans can now be a drop pod of doom.

The veterans can each take a combi weapon now with a cap of 10. 10 melta shots against the rear armor of a wave serpent anyone??

Um..    Not new, the limit of three vanished in may 2012...

Page 135 of the new rulebook under preparing reserves.  Page 124 of the old book specifically says you can hold up to half your forces.  The new version omits that language.

Deepstrike away boys!  I'd at least bring a RW bike just for the telehomers though...

Page 135 of the new rulebook under preparing reserves. Page 124 of the old book specifically says you can hold up to half your forces. The new version omits that language.

Deepstrike away boys! I'd at least bring a RW bike just for the telehomers though...

time to blow your collective ds shenanigans load!!

So with the removal of the previous clarifying statement about what is actually affected by the Standard of Devastation, how should it be interpreted now? Does this mean that it now applies to say, stormbolter toting Deathwing Terminators or company veterans? If so, both Death & Greenwing just became the new sexy

Yay!!!! I can take a servo harness techmarine with my knights now...instead of thundernators and a bike libby. Long live March's netlist msn-wink.gif

If they don't re-FAQ the PFG I may be joining you... Although, If I can DS everything again I might bring my old list back... I've got to go and see how badly Deathstorm DPs have been nerfed since I last used them.

....can it be true?

The faq doesn't specify that Banner of Devastation works for Bolters only.  We are back to the original wording - boltguns

And as before, once you open the big book - there's a table there with ...all kinds of boltguns

Salvo 4 twin linked H . Bolters on razorbacks.  Terminators with salvo 4 storm bolters.

All that ammo wisely spent

If storm bolters are indeed classified as 'bolt guns' in the new rulebook then the BoD is well worth its cost in a Deathwing list. And how about hurricane bolters?

Cheers

I

There is a lot of stuff to work through I'd expect the FAQ part to get updated soon

Looking at Space Wolves and Grey Knights their psychic stuff has been gutted and redone for 7th so were a bit down the list for a full review

I'll be playing PFG & bolters/salvo as per the old FAQ till the dust settles as that appears to be GWs intention for the rule and I can't justify reinterpreting it based on they haven't got round to it yet

If storm bolters are indeed classified as 'bolt guns' in the new rulebook then the BoD is well worth its cost in a Deathwing list. And how about hurricane bolters?

Cheers

I

Hurricane bolters are 3 boltguns merged into a single weapon - or so the codex says

Actually I think we should check in the digital versions as they are updated following FAQ. If the limitations of bolters only remains, we'll have the answer... If not, well... We'll have the answer too tongue.png

I'm not convinced with such a massive amount of work that everything will be done in a timely fashion.

The FAQ part could just be missing because someone didn't Cut/Paste properly

The original DA Codex was poor in terms of proof reading hopefully the BRB has had a better job done on it

I'm more inclined to think that the sloppy writing style of GW books and codicies is not by accident .  

It has been a tradition since I started playing - 14 years ago.   And they always do the same thing.  A rule that could potentially be game changing could be written with a gray area.

Then they release the faq.  Everyone's happy. Buys more models.  

People that are unhappy are the ones that need to deal with that model.  Their "counter" to such things doesn't work anymore.  Guess what ?  They buy other models to deal with the Faqed  models .  So one side is happy and buys some models, the other is less then happy and also buys models.

And so the great cycle continues.

How do we deal with it ?  

3 ways.  One is (duh) buying more models .  It' s a no brainer if you're a competitive player.  The bad news is your model will only be awesome for a period of time.

Example to this are demons (side note - khorne demons are all the rage now ...see what I did? - every one and their brother are going to buy them).  Funny coincidence - the GW site has a  part of the store titled Demons ,summon them .

Second way of dealing with faq "mistakes" is to play (and by play I mean own) a balanced army . That way you'll never have a problem with faqs .  

Having a model nerfed is bad , especially if you own an army built around it.   Same situation is less of a problem if that same model is only a part of your force - it will preform worse, but the overall plan will still work.

Third way (my way) is not to play people and lists you don't want to play.  I found it best. And also, I only play against people that have largely a painted army (or are clearly working on it) .  I try not to be rude about it and explain that I'm a veteran that gets to play once - twice a month and want to have a good time and enjoy myself. 

Actually I think we should check in the digital versions as they are updated following FAQ. If the limitations of bolters only remains, we'll have the answer... If not, well... We'll have the answer too tongue.png

actually this is not the case. The only time that there was a differnce in content between codex and FAQ was when the codex was initially realeased. Since then there have never been any auto updates for digital codex users. For example in the printed codex initial release plasmatalons were not printed as twin linked, in the digital codex they were. However the change to the ravenwing command squad which came later was never auto updated digitaly to say that you can have a 5man RWCS. So really they have never updated the books and most likely never will... inspite of the fact that it would be easy to do. More likely they will make you pay for an update like that.

Actually, Polythemus, I have been told that the digital 'dex still contains the prior FAQ wording for the PFG, yet it's no longer in the most up-to-date FAQ. Confusion reigns...

Cheers

I

Hurricane bolters are 3 boltguns merged into a single weapon - or so the codex says

Yep indeed, so I guess they qualify for the BoD buff unless explicitly excluded correct? That's what I'm after - not having the 7th rulebook I don't know if they qualify as 'bolt guns' or not.

actually this is not the case. The only time that there was a differnce in content between codex and FAQ was when the codex was initially realeased. Since then there have never been any auto updates for digital codex users. For example in the printed codex initial release plasmatalons were not printed as twin linked, in the digital codex they were. However the change to the ravenwing command squad which came later was never auto updated digitaly to say that you can have a 5man RWCS. So really they have never updated the books and most likely never will... inspite of the fact that it would be easy to do. More likely they will make you pay for an update like that.

Polythemus; You may want to open the iBooks library and hit your store button, my digital dex has received a couple of updates since i owned it, including the changes to the RW Command Squad.

Unfortunately as noted by Gillyfish the PFG wording is still the last FAQ wording, heres hoping they deliver another digital content refresh now the new FAQ is out.

Cheers

I

Yep indeed, so I guess they qualify for the BoD buff unless explicitly excluded correct? That's what I'm after - not having the 7th rulebook I don't know if they qualify as 'bolt guns' or not.

On page 176 of the 7th edition.  Boltguns, it features Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Storm Bolter, Heavy Bolter, Vulcan mega-bolter, which is exactly what features in the 6th and omits Hurricane bolters, which is odd considering that boltguns are only specific to CSM, as are Hurricane Bolters, so it makes sense to put it in there.  Then again there is no precedence that says "Rapid Fire x 3"

I think it's really odd that they would remove clarifying FAQ language from a FAQ.  Consider new DA players who didn't start playing until now? Surely they'll still need clarification.  Also I've always scratched my head that a storm bolter wouldn't benefit from BoD, it is after all like others have said 2 boltguns strapped together.  I tell you what, if Storm Bolters counted, DW would be a very different type of army....

We are getting into a broad area here with those hurricane bolters.  I do have to confess here - as some may have noticed - english is my second language , so I really cannot guess how exactly does it work with reading the paragraphs.

Hurricane bolter

A hurricane bolter  consists  of three  twin-linked  boltguns 

fired  as  a single  weapon.  

7th ed rulebook:

Boltguns

Bot pistol, Boltgun,Storm bolter,Heavy bolter

Your guess is will hopefully be better then mine.  Did the paragraph in our codex mean "boltguns" as a weapon or "bolt-guns" as  a whole group of weapons ?

If it means boltgun as in , the rapid fire S 4 ap5 personal weapon - then all else should be excluded.  If on the other hand it means  bolters and hurricane bolters (like in 6th) , then we're back to that place.

Or it means - all Boltguns 

Archived