Heavy weapon changes in Devastator squads

minigun762

Missile Launchers and Lascannons both got worse with the increased difficulty of killing a vehicle in one shot.

I'm thinking that ranged devastators will need to resign themselves to removing hull points.  Even with the lascannon, it no longer seems to me very likely that you can rely on an explosion result.  I may swap my MLs for Lascannons for the extra Str and AP.

I'm no Imperial fist player, but with that set of Chapter Tactics, I'd rely on the number of Lascannons even more so with the new rules :)

Maxing out your Lascannons on minimal devastator squads gives you 9 LC with Tank Hunters, including 3 at Bs 5. That's nothing to be laughed at, considering you'll generally outrange your enemy and get cover saves. That's 450 points and a nasty anti-tank build.

While it's harder to get an explode result, you still get a chance to weaken the enemy vehicle. Even a crew shaken is better than a glance.

You could always try for a drop pod MM squad. You forfeit turn one shooting but have a very real threat to armor even at 13".

Devastators as assault troops? Now this I like.
Heh. Back in the day I would run full 10 man devie squads with a power fist on the sarge. It was fun to charge with them.

Well a dev sergeant in assault with a vehicle and being equiped with meltabombs seems pretty fun.

Drop pod and combat squad them, heavies and a meat shield go into a fire position while the rest head towards vehicles or squishy infantry. Maybe take a combi-melta and melta bombs on the sgt?

While I am an inexperienced player, what I've heard so far means that Missile Launchers are gonna be less effective at the medium-to-high armor tanks, and they are now pushed very much into the infantry/low-to-medium tank shooters. So if I'd plan on shooting up heavy armor, i would now be more inclined to take lascannons. 

I've read this tip somewhere else on this board but can't remember: but it's a nasty surprise to take a 10 man devastator squad, combat squad them and drop the 5 guys with bolters and krak grenades in the rear of some tank with the drop pod dedicated transport. If you play SoT supplement, then twinlinked S4 bolter shots with tank hunters against rear armor (often 10) is nothing to sneeze at. Your enemy now has to worry about a next turn charge from 5 guys who can stick krak grenades on that back armor, which again still have tank hunters. The other 5 guys are sitting in your deployment zone shooting stuff with their lascannons, of course. 

Archived