[HH1.0] 30k Alpha Legion Tactics

hivey

"Better" is entirely subjective where the Lernaeans are concerned. Where they differ however, is the WS5, LD9 and Stubborn. That and they come stuck with Volkites. 

In short they're a far more close range dedicated unit and lack the versatility you can apply to regular legion termies

So no point spending on heavy flamer either? Thought it might give a nice template automatic hits plus forces the opponent's unit to take more saves. 

Also, what about their close combat? Chainfist + power dagger for me looks like an obvious choice for the main guy, but the rest of them - just keep power axes or give a few fists as well?

Yeah they can. But remember they are slow and can't be transported.

They would be good with skorr though - he can choose master of ambush from the strategic traits to push hem forward.

Edited by Resonance

Poor Iron Warriors, all of their special units are better utilized by Alpha Legion.

Stack scout and infiltrate on them with Skorr and Mutable Tactics or Vigilator, you're in their grille turn one.

They're not Legiones Astartes (anything) so no Mutable Tactics and can only be accompanied by an independent character with LA (Iron Warriors) or Perturabo as per the Moving Bulwark rule. Soooooo, Skorr works I guess?

Excuse me, sir, someone needs to brush up on their treachery. The Rewards of Treason rule replaces LA (Iron Warriors) with LA (Alpha Legion), so while you can't bring Perturabo along, you certainly can join them with one independent character who would confer Scout if they have it.

Excuse me, sir, someone needs to brush up on their treachery. The Rewards of Treason rule replaces LA (Iron Warriors) with LA (Alpha Legion), so while you can't bring Perturabo along, you certainly can join them with one independent character who would confer Scout if they have it.

I'd definitely allow it, although RAW I'm not sure it's totally kosher. I think Rewards of Treason reads as just replacing the actual Legiones Astartes rule, not all instances of rules that mention a Legiones Astartes (something). The other big instance I can think of off the top of my head is stolen Suzerain and whether their LD bonus thing applies to just Ultramarines or not.

Close, but no cigar. Only independent characters with Legiones Astartes (Iron Warriors) can join Iron Circle. Doesn't matter what army they're in.

The important part about The Rewards of Treason is this: if any unit has Legiones Astartes (insert Legion here), then they gain Legiones Astartes (Alpha Legion), where applicable. So Siege Tyrants get Mutable Tactics, but Iron Circle do not.

Other units like Darkwing Storm Eagles and Gal Votbak can be stolen, but they lack LA, so are exactly the same as in a Raven Guard or Word Bearers army.

Other units like Darkwing Storm Eagles and Gal Votbak can be stolen, but they lack LA, so are exactly the same as in a Raven Guard or Word Bearers army.

That's a good point. Why aren't you guys out stealing more Mhara Gals?? You don't have any Daemon allies to muck up!

Close, but no cigar. Only independent characters with Legiones Astartes (Iron Warriors) can join Iron Circle. Doesn't matter what army they're in.

The important part about The Rewards of Treason is this: if any unit has Legiones Astartes (insert Legion here), then they gain Legiones Astartes (Alpha Legion), where applicable. So Siege Tyrants get Mutable Tactics, but Iron Circle do not.

Debatable.

"This unit ... have the Legiones Astartes (Alpha Legion) special rule where this is relevant (so far so good), not the Legiones Astartes special rule of their parent Legion (things more murky)."

I would allow it, they are 205 points each and that's their whole purpose.

Debatable.

"This unit ... have the Legiones Astartes (Alpha Legion) special rule where this is relevant (so far so good), not the Legiones Astartes special rule of their parent Legion (things more murky)."

I would allow it, they are 205 points each and that's their whole purpose.

Sadly I don't think it would be allowed - it's about the actual unit possessing the LA:IW rule, not about it being mentioned in the rules.

House rule it for fun and because they cost a pretty-penny each? Sure!

In a tourney? Not so much.

Are masters of signal any good if used in Heavy Support squads, say missiles, lascannons or volkites? I mean they do give you an extra BS point and if you use Alphie you could also re-roll on preffered enemy, thus giving the opponent something to be nervous about when they take those saves and such. So what do you guys think of that?

Another one, a Contemptor (cortus or a regular, but probably for saving points in smaller games it will be a cortus) use two close combat arms with both grav guns. Any thoughts on this as well? oh, and place it in a DDP of course!

Are masters of signal any good if used in Heavy Support squads, say missiles, lascannons or volkites? I mean they do give you an extra BS point and if you use Alphie you could also re-roll on preffered enemy, thus giving the opponent something to be nervous about when they take those saves and such. So what do you guys think of that?

Another one, a Contemptor (cortus or a regular, but probably for saving points in smaller games it will be a cortus) use two close combat arms with both grav guns. Any thoughts on this as well? oh, and place it in a DDP of course!

Depends what weapons they have and their role. Siege breakers are better against armour as they grant tank hunter. MoS would be my anti infantry option. And having Alpharius is a massive force multiplier regardless of whichever kit they have :biggrin.:

As for the cortus, that's the best way to run them imo. Grav bypasses the prevalence of Armoured Ceramite and a Cortus isn't as durable for standing back and shooting as a regular Contemptor so get them in combat wrecking face

Edited by Flint13
reply to removed content

Actually, the only time a Cortus is as durable is at range shooting. Its invulnerable save works only against ranged attacks from the front, so it is about as tough as a Rhino when shooting at it from the side.

A few pages back there was some discussion around lists with Dynat and the Orbital Assault ROW. I have been trying to come up with an Alpha Legion list that I like with Dynat over Skorr and this fits the bill.

So, the basic framework that I like and based on what everyone has contributed so far includes:

-Dynat

-2x Tactical Squads, Sgt with Artificer Armor, dagger and fist in drop pods

-2 x Leviathan Siege Dreads, Cylonic Melta/Grav flux with siege claws in dread drop pods

That's around 1400 points, so for a 2500 point list there is plenty to play with.

Dynat needs a ride, so a plasma support in a drop pod is nice. Is a Dreadclaw worth the points here? What about an apothecary? That is somewhere between 300-400 points.

With about 700-800 points left, what are some good options?

Terminus, you had a big fat Terminator squad in a Kharybdis. Simple, brutal, effective. The Kharybdis is expensive though! (money wise).

Some other options I have considered:

-Support team with meltas

-Seeker squads with combi weapons (melta most likely)

-Terminators deep striking

-Fire Raptor

-Xiphon Interceptors

-Comtemptor Dread with close combat and graviton guns in a pod or using Dynat's Deep striking. This would be a nice way to deal with vehicles with armored ceremite.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions on these options? I'd like to keep the drop pods to an odd number if possible, but that does not always work out.

Any other options worth considering?

Edited by Vashones

Here's the list that I am now half way through collecting.

Praetor; combo weapon, paragon blade, iron halo, pow drag, ven spheres, art armour, Coils Row. 170
Master of signals, 95
Navigator digi lasers, 55 (thought it would make a good story as to why the have been separated or still able to travel the stars).

3 x 10 tactical marine squads, vox & vexilla, additional cow, serg mb and pow drag. 3x 200

10 x legion destroyers, ven spheres, 2x missile launchers, serg AA, pow dag, phosphide bomb, 350 (may add jump packs to this unit)
2 x quad launchers with incendiary and shatter shells, 150 ( can these get a phosphex shell from a later book?)
Reward of treason; 5x Grave wardens, heavy flames with chess, serg pow dagger

10 Heavy suport squad, missile launchers, flakk, hardened armour, serg Aug scanner 365 

Total 2000pts

Thinking that flakk missiles and navi could be swapped to give destroyers jump packs, next thousand points will bring a big 20 man breacher squad with grav weapons for mobile fort duty and possibly a proteus for the explorator augury to really muck enemy reserves. 

Initial idea is to set up a my "fort" being 1 taco squad, the quads and the Mos, with either second tac squad or heavy supp squad depending on opponent and size of board.
The destroyers, grave wardens and one tac squad make my infiltrated fist set up as close up as can be for first turn chem bombardment.
The last tac squad would then either join this group or set up as body Gaurds to the heavy support squad if they are not part of the Fort. Will have to just make use of infiltrate for now but would like to get a transport for every unit to make use of the counter attack option or admantium will.

How are people equipping their Sergeants in squads? ie Tacticals Squads or Veteran Squads etc.... ? 

Power Axe and Power dagger? 

Power fist and dagger? 

AA armour seems like a must-have....

Plasma pistol seems too expensive...? 

Thoughts on all of these?

If you want the Tacticals/Veterans to see combat, then AA, melta bombs, power fist and power dagger is ideal. Veterans have to take MB's as a squad, and the draft FAQ suggests a grenade nerf, so maybe wait and see the results of that before making that call.

If you want them cheap and shooty, merely taking AA and melta bombs is my suggestion.

Plasma pistols are not great value. 10 points would be worth considering, but they'd still be the first thing to go if I needed to save points.

Power axes are not a bad option. They're half the price (as you don't need a power dagger for the extra attack), but I feel like the fist/dagger combo is too good to pass up for us XXth Legionaries!

Hey guys

I've got a tourney on the weekend, with some limited choices re models. Posted the lists in the army list section if anyone is interested.

I do have to ask though; how do people deliver their terminators?

If you don't have a transport, is infiltrate in one form or another pretty much mandatory? Gut feeling is suggesting yes... But I'd love to hear people's experiences.

Depending on the exact list I choose to play, there's roughly 3 ways I tend to deliver my Terminators / Lernaeans:

- Infiltrating them with the help of Skorr's choice of warlord trait (I.E. Master of Ambush)

- Deep Strike them with Hammerstrike Assault when I run Dynat as my warlord.

- Deep Strike them in a Dreadclaw when I run the Orbital Assault RoW.

I almost never ever select the Infiltrate USR as the Mutable Tactic. Feels like a waste to me in 95% of the scenarios / missions.

Cheers !