[HH1.0] 30k Alpha Legion Tactics

hivey

It's not all about the protection, a Dreadclaw gives them not only security but the ability to pick when and where they charge. You can deep strike in a safe, open location with a Dreadclaw, and then flat out closer to your target. This results in a far larger threat range than if you deep strike without the pod.

EDIT: Not to mention, drop pod assault - you can potentially shoot turn 1 and charge turn 2 with a Dreadclaw, whereas teleporting will let you shoot turn 2 and charge turn 3 best case scenario.

Edited by Marshal Loss

So in this regard, the trade off in unit size (and punch) is worth it for the dreadclaw, over say a Spartan or a khadrybis?

Models limit me a bit in my coming game to the infiltrated or deepstrike options... Just have general concerns regarding that first turn volley for infiltrating.

In this assault scenario, what are peoples opinion on the caestus?

I really like it, but it is a bit pricey...

Food for thought re: infiltrating sniper vets in the rhino after playing them today.

You get to an awkward point, whereby you can't charge your intended target, or risk retaliation from shooting.

In part I just got outmanoeuvred by white scars, but to be fair, hopping out the rhino at any kind of close range just seems silly, after this personal experience.

Didn't help that only today I spotted the rule about the enemy being able to charge your troops after they destroy your transport...

Checking out the Alphas and utterly unwilling to sort through 47 pages of strategic, and tactical argument. I would appreciate some direct answers: 

What is the core advantage of the Alpha Legion? Is it unit-elimination? Or is it strategic out-maneuver; adapting to different opponents?

In my experience, the second option. Being able to adapt to any given battle is the major strength I find.

Combine this with the characters like Dynat, skorr or alpharius (why not both) and you have some truly devious and adaptable tactics you can deploy.

One such combo (my personal fav) is Dynat with an outflanking sabotuer. He gets a an auto pen at ap2 on any vehicle in the battle that has plus one from Dynat and plus one from ap2 - you can kill any vehicle under a super with no work (if you are lucky) one third of the time

But honestly this is one of the better tactics threads and worth the read.

No one can articulate 47 pages in one or two posts. Maybe you could write a summary for the rest of us after reading them

To echo the above points with my very limited knowledge...

It's all about adaptability.

In my two most recent games, I was able to use counter attack as my mutible tactic and blunt a Raven guard alpha strike, whilst also using infiltrate with my hq to allow three units to counter-deploy, also mowing me to get backfield and also encircle the foe.

In a different game, using the same list, my ha gave everyone move through cover and stealth in ruins, whilst my army infiltrated to allow for counter-deployment and board control. (City fight board and lots of cover)

The beauty of the lists lie in their flexibility.

I could just have easily gone for reserve manipulation and tank hunting, etc.

Skorr is an absolute steal. Dynat looks good on paper but I haven't managed to write a list with him I like yet (need different units) and Alpharius is pure gold for utility.

Sure, you can go for unit elimination, you do have a lot of tools that allow for alpha strike, but other legions do it better, I'd say.

What Resonance said.

Also, it is key to come to recognize that Alpha Legion excel at stacking benefits onto otherwise rather mundane units / army list compositions, and not to get lost investing a crapload of points into fancy gimmicks and expensive specials.

Alpha Legion  can play like (almost) any other legion if you configure them in the right way.

Their legion specific RoW are kinda nice, and CotH can open up some nasty combos, but comes with a high tax in troop units and is better taken in games above 2.5k pts.

Also, AL are really good at some of the rather generic RoW, like Orbital Assault, Legion Recon Company, Armoured Spearhead, Sacrifical Offering, Chosen Duty, etc.

Essentially, see what your mission goals / victory conditions are in a particular game and then take an indepth look at these and see how they combine / stack:

~ Veteran Tacticals USR

~ Mutable Tacticals USR

~ Your choice of warlord trait and other rules granted by specific characters (if using Skorr for example)

~ Benefits per RoW you're going to use

As for AL special units, there seems to be no consenting opinion really. Some love them, some don't. So it's best to find out about those on your own.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Headhunters don't really shine unless used with Alpharius, but I never used the Primarch 'til now, so go figure.

Lernaeans I really like though, as a dedicated melee unit. Though they need to be assigned the right targets.

Edited by Unknown Legionnaire

That's what I figure re: dynat. I fancy dropping a nasty support squad, melta or plasma into the enemies dz with his trait, or terminators, if it's a lot of pressure being applied fast (like with orbital assault)

As for the dreadnaught, I love the idea of a leviathan with a melta lance landing in the enemy dz. ALL the tanks will die!

Has anyone run Destroyers with Venom Spheres? I was thinking of including it in an Orbital assault list with Lernaeans to wound on 2+ with axes.

I'd say you are better off just attaching a Terminator forge lord for that!

BUT - Destoryers with Venom Sphere's are pretty nifty in it's own right... You get to use your jump packs in the move phase, shoot two bolt pistols each, then charge in and get a HoW at S4 against an enemy that is a -1T because of rad. Then you get your other attacks after.

Of course just the jump packs and Spheres are a whopping 100 points... But there could be some use.

So mutable tactics are unit specific? Not list specific? Meaning multiple units performing different functions within the same list? 

No one can articulate 47 pages in one or two posts. Maybe you could write a summary for the rest of us after reading them

I might do this, actually. 

Edited by Sheesh Mode

Not a huge fan of Saboteur unless a 3000 point game. Anything less, and I can find better things for that ~100 points. Problem is he can't have any decent gear and runs solo, so is of questionable value beyond a penetration roll (that you get to save against). It's like, Saboteur or Scorpius Whirlwind, what will provide more consistent brutality? Edited by Terminus

Not a huge fan of Saboteur unless a 3000 point game. Anything less, and I can find better things for that ~100 points. Problem is he can't have any decent gear and runs solo, so is of questionable value beyond a penetration roll (that you get to save against). It's like, Saboteur or Scorpius Whirlwind, what will provide more consistent brutality?

You make a very good point about the sustained utility of the Saboteur. I do agree that for 100 points if the choice is between a Scorpius or a Saboteur, the Scorpius takes precedence. Probably because they don't really fill out the same role : I really don't see the Saboteur (and any MEQ/TEQ squad without heavy weapons all around) as fire support, but rather as an elite choice in its own right.

In that case, if the choice presented was between 2-3 Terminators and a Saboteur, it would be harder to choose between.

How about a Saboteur with Jump Pack and 2 Plasma Pistols ? We are at a 135 points cost which isn't cheap by any sense of the term, but the Jump Pack would allow him to be better with the Cameleoline to first choose spots without line of sight, then use a back up 3+ cover if he gets targeted by AP2. Also, with the 2 Plasma Pistols, he can help out against MEQ and TEQ as well as be a threat to side/rear armours to anything that is within 24" of a table edge.

With Dynat, his Plasma Pistols become effectively AP1 for damage charts in the enemy DZ so this could be interesting, followed by melta bombs the later turns.

Edited by GreyCrow