Demolisher still glorious?

My Executioner has the turret weapon loose, so I could swap it out for a Demolisher if I wanted to take it for a spin...

Is it worth taking Sponson weaponry on it? I feel that Ordnance causing Snap-Firing would make it fairly worthless, but 10pts for two Heavy Bolters would be nice turn one, and could add the odd Wound or two if I'm lucky.

I actually take a lascannon on the LRBT...it never hits when snap-shooting, but it's cheap, it gives me an option (I have fired the lascannon instead of the battle cannon more than once), and it keeps the tank threatening if I lose the battle cannon to enemy fire.

Heavy Bolter Sponsons reduce a Weapon Destroyed taking the Cannon from a 50% chance to a 25% chance, so it seems like a fair upgrade when with 9 shots they'll do okay as Anti-Infantry. Kill one Necron Warrior or whatever in the open with one, and it's paid for itself.

At the jump from 1500 to 1850 I do have space for 2 more LR in my current list, but only 1 HQ and 1 HS slot. So either way, it amounts to a squadron. Are Demolishers effective when squadroned or just overkill? And if so, what other thanks would you mix with a demolisher (if any) for the HQ squadron to benefit from split fire order?

Depends on what you're shooting them at...infantry in ruins?  Probably effective.  Tanks?  Definitely!  That said, 340 points shooting at one target?  Blech!  I want options!  I've never hesitated to squadron up LRBTs, but for some reason, I resist doing so with demolishers.  I don't mind shooting two demolishers at the same target when I need to, but I want it to be by choice, a "wasted" demolisher pieplate is just infinitely worse than a "wasted" battle cannon pieplate.

/edit/ There's also range to consider.  Battlecannons can see the whole table, but a demolisher cannon's range means that you need to split the tanks up to get decent threat coverage.  Furthermore, if your target is 23.9" from the nearer demolisher in a squadron, it's going to be out of range of the squadron mate, and that would come up a lot more with a 24" range weapon than it does with a 72" range one. In fact, I frequently find that my demolishers are just barely in range of their targets more than once a game, especially on turns one and two.  Wasting a demolisher cannon shot by not being in range is even worse than overkill.  

For these reasons, I never squadron demolishers.

/edit again/

If I were going to have split fire, I would consider pairing a demolisher with an eradicator.  They're both fairly short-ranged, and therefore going to have to advance up the board.  Meanwhile, a demolisher is the wrong thing to be shooting at light-medium infantry in cover, but nothing could be more perfect for that task than the nova cannon, so the two tanks are very complementary.

Hm, so I suppose it would be best to stock up the Pask Squadron with 3 mid/long ranged tanks (like Paskquisher with either 2 LRBT or 2 Executioners) and toss them a TP so that they can fire their turrets at 3 targets, then use the remaining HS slot for a Demolisher.

Using HQ squad to bring demolisher with something wouldn't make sense because the range difference can cause troubles, even if the order passes.

Basically...Keeping Pask buried in a corner has been amazingly effective for me.  Last night, I fielded the shadowsword for the first time, and I lost that, but not Pask.  That's one of my main reasons for giving him a vanquisher instead of a punisher, it preserves the "slay the warlord" VP far more effectively than a 24" range tank does (although even that is less squishy than a CCS).  Pask is now 7/7 in surviving 7th edition battles!  

Funny thing about the shadowsword, I was playing against nurgle cheese.  Three flying melee daemon princes...jink plus shrouded means 2+ cover save with no downsides (since nurgle daemon princes aren't shooting anything anyway, snap shots are ???)  I eventually killed two of them anyway, but...Anyway, the shadowsword managed to put on maybe five wounds total, and only one of those on a DP (and that was achieved with a HB), but it snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat....by exploding.  It took three DP charges to blow it up, but when it did, it took out my opponent's relic bearer...and then the game ended, preventing him from picking it back up!!!  So I got first blood and he got linebreaker, even though his cheese just demolished me.

Archived