Wondering about HQs in 7th

Kilofix

As an Iron Hand, I just cannot imagine going into combat with nothing but budget HQs.  I bring a MOTF more often than not, but he's there to keep the Land Raider rolling.  My Warlord is a Shield Eternal/thunder hammer Master in TDA, because the more wounds a character has, the more he gets out of my Chapter Tactics.  I can understand the draw with other CTs, but CT:IH just screams for a massive point expenditure.

As an Iron Hand, I just cannot imagine going into combat with nothing but budget HQs. I bring a MOTF more often than not, but he's there to keep the Land Raider rolling. My Warlord is a Shield Eternal/thunder hammer Master in TDA, because the more wounds a character has, the more he gets out of my Chapter Tactics. I can understand the draw with other CTs, but CT:IH just screams for a massive point expenditure.

That's true and I think IH are the best at making the uber Chapter Master builds.

But playing devil's advocate, the 100 point difference between budget HQs and Lysander lite builds is another tank which would increase armor saturation and benefits from IWND.

I used a White Scars Chapter Master on Bike with Artificer Armour, Power Fist and Auspex yesterday...

600pts, Unbound

- Above Character

- 5 Bikes with Combi-melta and 2 Meltaguns

- 5 Bikes with Combi-plasma and 2 Plasma Guns

- Furioso Dreadnought with Heavy Flamer

The Master was a proper tank, able to take punishment and dish it out as well. Hit and Run on Init 5 was brilliant in order to avoid getting locked in combat. I get the Iron Hands argument, I do. But when on a Bike, White Scars are just fantastic. No dangerous terrain tests, mobile, tough, 3+ Jink save, S5 Hammer of Wrath...

I had 2 games, one against Iyanden Eldar with Wraithlord, Guardians with Bright Lance and Fire Dragons in Serpent, where I killed everything except the Wraithlord and grabbed what I could to net a 8-3 Victory. The second was against Blood Angels with Astorath, 1 Priest, Assault Marines, 3 Bikes and a MM/AC Land Speeder, Relic mission. I grabbed the relic Turn 1 and didn't lose it. I ended up winning via table when Astorath took a Fist to the face.

We've got one more week of 600pts then we go up to 800pts. Not sure what to add really... Maybe a Librarian and a Blood Angels Assault Squad to bind the army (1x Combined Arms and 1x Allied) as I should be able to squeeze them into 200pts... It'll also offer a Psyker with access to some useful Disciplines.

Off topic slightly, but I love combat in 7th edition... Bundle!! is definitely going to be my play-style of choice.

I'm going to avoid the Relics as I don't see the point in small games. I'm internally debating whether to go Fist / Claw or Fist / Shield on the Chapter Master at some point. I suspect the Fist / Claw would be preferable as I get a 3+ cover from Jink, and a 3++ isn't vital. I'd rather have an extra attack and choice of attack style.

Incidentally, Personal Traits seem to be the way to go for this sort of character. Against the Blood Angels I got Immovable Object... which was pretty funny (as Asorath had it as well, we both rolled 6s on personal tongue.png ) and it certainly added a little extra to the mix.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd take some sort of a plasma weapon and the shield eternal so he doesnt get 1 shot. I think that 155 pts.  Though your Captain will always be better suited to assault as he has multiple wounds  and can take a Thunder Hammer or lightning claw. 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, so I'm doing the "return games" of the current campaign/tournament of my gaming club, which is for people who lost games in the ladder system and are allowed to modify their lists. The games are 1000 points and I've elected to take a ML2 Libby.

There's one problem though, it's that I have to choose and declare the disciplines I will roll on and while I'll generate the powers each battle, I won't be able to change the discipline. I'm going for a Raven Guard army with a flexible deployment (because I know I can't out assault assault armies or out shoot shooty armies, so I want to use the Chapter Tactics to capitalize on the deployment options and choose the fighting style I'll have based on what enemy I will face).

Based on the following list, which discipline would you recommend ?

Libby - ML2, Force Staff

10 Tacticals, Plasmagun, Plasmacannon, Power Sword, Rhino

5 Tacticals, Melta, combi-melta, Lasplas Razorback

5 Tacticals, Flamer, combi-flamer, Lasplas Razorback

5 Assault Marines, Flamer, Power Sword

2 Multi-melta Attack Bikes

Stormtalon with Skyhammer and Assault Cannon

The Libby is most likely going to be in either of the Razorback squads, so which discipline would benefit more from the army ? I like Telepathy but it's a large gamble depending on whether you roll good powers or almost useless ones for the Marines codex, I was thinking Biomancy would be safest, but I'd like to see your input !

White Scars is definitely better than iron Hands.  The FNP 6+ is so unreliable and Hit and Run is better anyways.  Its really fun when you can take an entire squad of bikes and leave combat on their turn then shoot and reenter combat.  

Oh, Hit and Run is better than 6+ FNP.  Absolutely.  But FNP isn't why you take CT:IH.  IWND is.  Vehicle heavy armies and monster HQs in particular (being as this is the subject of the thread) get such a massive benefit from IWND its not even funny.

For my marine list I need my CM and keep my libby cheap.

CM gets art armour, TH, shield eternal and an auspex to lower the pervasive cover save of the enemy. This is because he drops with a unit of sternguard and it lets him contribute to the shooting phase. The shield allows him to be survivable without a bike so that he can still reliably get into combat an use his hammer.

Libby is cheap because he is a buff unit first and for most with the added bonus of an ap3 sword if the sternguard get assaulted.

Your better off just sticking Tiggy in the squad and rolling all of this traits on Divination.  Your pretty much guaranteed to get the one where you overwatch at full ballistic and youll have prescience from the previous phase. So you'll have 18 shots hitting on 3+ with rerolls and wounding on 2+ (special round).  Its enough to almost wipe anything charging you. Obviously not 30 cultists lol

• 1 month later...

Archived