JAHminis: "...and now I'm making your silver pants blue."

@Sagentus: cheers, mate :)

i try to get better with every mini...

for the OSL on the Nurgle Sorcerer, i used P3 Beaten Purple and P3 Morrow White...

i start with the purple base coat, and just add white until i get a few layers leading up to the pure white glow...

it's all an experiment still, so just play around until you get a look that you are happy with...

nice to see these models getting a good reception...

here is the Black Crusade warband all lined up...

not a bad looking group ;)

the judges at the local convention agreed, giving them Best of Show at the final painting contest of 2016...

now i have to defend my run of taking Best of Show/Judge's Choice at all three of our local Cons last year...

i am currently working on finishing up a model of The Emperor, that i hope will start the competition season off right in two weeks :) 

every miniature in this commission has been converted to give the client unique minis that will provide his players with their own original characters...

it was a fun challenge to take the character descriptions, and create a representation that exceeded the images they had in their head...

i always aim to give my clients more than they ask for...

thanks for looking...

i hope that everybody has enjoyed the reveal of each of these characters :)

cheers

jah

hey B&C...

i did a quick step-by-step for the Tzeentch Sorcerer's wings...

sadly, it turns out that my step-by-step pics are a little blurry, so they are going to be a bit on the small side to save your eyes the pain of looking at the full-size horror...
luckily, it is a very short process...

i started, as usual, over a black base coat of P3 Primer...
the first layer is pure P3 Beaten Purple...
then i painted in the feather texture using a 3-1 mix of Beaten Purple and P3 Morrow White...
the lower half of each feather was painted with a 3-1 mix of P3 Arcane Blue and Morrow White...
the last step is to deepen the shadows, and outline each feather, with a very thin wash of P3 Thamar Black...

that's it...
quick and simple, but eye catching on the table top...

thanks for looking...
i hope it was helpful...

cheers
 jah

hey B&C...

here is a little sneak peek at my next project...

The God-Emperor of Mankind!!!

i have wanted to paint this model since it was released...

when the opportunity came up, i jumped all over it :)

he is a big guy, in 54mm scale, but i have a feeling that he will fit just fine on the tabletop, as the supreme human...

i started off with the head, since it is the simplest part of the sculpt...

the rest of him is covered in filigree, and the eagle's feathers are detailed as hell...

i figured the most powerful human psyker should be showing his power a little, and the blue eyes will help draw the viewer to his face, rather than his shiny gold body...

854345_sm-.jpg

854349_sm-.JPG

854350_sm-.JPG

854348_sm-.JPG

854346_sm-.JPG

854347_sm-.JPG

thanks for looking...

cheers

jah

cheers, guys :)

step-by-step time for gold...

this is the first stage of the golden armor...

i began over a black undercoat of P3 Primer...

the first layer of paint is P3 Molten Bronze, followed by a heavy wash of 1-1 P3 Sanguine Base and P3 Coal Black, and then a coat of P3 Flesh Wash...

854351_sm-.JPG

854352_sm-.JPG

the base that we have chosen is a 60mm Scibor...

854353_sm-.JPG

thanks for looking...

cheers

jah

• 3 weeks later...
@Bloodsaint: you and me both, buddy ;)

i have no idea what the hell i am doing, aside from trying to do a more visually interesting gold than i have before...

@Ovidius: this is the Celestial Knight from Kabuki Studio...

the next two stages of The Emperor...

first up is Stage 2, which is a layer of P3 Rhulic Gold and Molten Bronze at a 2-1 ratio, followed by a coat of undiluted P3 Flesh Wash...

stage 3 is pictured along with a test-fitting of the model on his base... 

this is a layer of Rhulic Gold and Vallejo Air Gold at a 3-1 ratio... 

if you check out his left leg, you can see the difference between Stage 2 & 3... 

the armor has gotten a lot lighter, and much more golden in comparison to the previous layer...

the 60mm base is a pretty good fit for the 54mm model...

860653_sm-.JPG

860654_sm-.JPG

860655_sm-.JPG

thanks for looking :) 

cheers

jah

@Hod: he will definitely have some shine to him...

that is part of the key to selling more contrast, deeper shadows and brighter highlights :) 

@The Traitor: gracias, hermano...

aqui tengo un poco mas para ti ;) 

the progress continues...

the armor is still at Stage 3 (P3 Rhulic Gold and Vallejo Air Gold at a 3-1 ratio) in these photos, but has had the P3 Flesh Wash coat again over the top of the gold...

i have now built up enough of a reddish-gold base to have a lot of contrast when I start the proper highlights... 

from here on, things will start to get interesting :) 

the base has had the rough color scheme established...

the stone is base coated with P3 Meredius Blue, while the skulls and soil got a base coat of P3 Greatcoat Grey. ..

the whole base was washed with a layer of Citadel Druchii Violet for shading...

now I have to re-establish the base colors, and decide how I would like to highlight the stone...

i am thinking of a rough sponge technique, and then some gold marbling to tie in with the armor...

860656_sm-.JPG

860657_sm-.JPG

860658_sm-.JPG

thanks for looking...

cheers

jah

hey B&C...

Stage 4 of the gold is done...

it is a mix of P3 Rhulic Gold and Vallejo Air Gold at 2-1, then another coat of P3 Flesh Wash...

i started on the pteruges (the hanging leather straps)...

it is just a simple base coat of P3 Sanguine Base, so far...

the eagle got a base coat of P3 Umbral Umber, and then the lighter feathers got a coat of P3 Hammerfall Khaki and a shade wash of thinned Umbral Umber...

the feet and beak get a coat of P3 Rucksack Tan, and the metal is base coated with P3 Pig Iron...

860659_sm-.JPG

860660_sm-.JPG

861848_sm-.JPG

861849_sm-.JPG

next up, the finished eagle...

thanks for looking...

cheers

jah

hey B&C...

the bird is done!!!

i had to take a bit of artistic license with this bald eagle...

i tried using real world reference for the first attempt at this paint job, but it didn't work well on a miniature scale...

in photos of actual bald eagles, their flight feathers have a lot of white showing under the dark brown...

when i painted it like that, it just looked like a sloppy, or unfinished, paint job, like i hadn't covered all of the primer :(

the brown base coat color worked well, but a mid-brown highlight looked very boring...

in the end, i had to go for a very red-brown to make the feathers look more interesting...

i finished the white feathers and claws with P3 Menoth White Highlight... 

the darker feathers were highlighted with P3 Bloodstone...

the beak and feet were finished with P3 Sulfuric Yellow (a color I hadn't used before)...

the metals got a highlight of Vallejo Air Aluminium, and the cables were painted with P3 Khador Red Base...

862331_sm-.JPG

862328_sm-.JPG

862329_sm-.JPG

862330_sm-.JPG

now i am painting the wicked lightning claw arm that he will be perched on :)

thanks for looking...

i hope you like him...

cheers

jah

• 4 weeks later...
@The Traitor: the claws are painted steel right now, but i will throw on a glowing lightning effect...

more on that tomorrow :)

@sockwithaticket: cheers, mate...

i have taken the idea to the next level on the wings that i just painted for a KD pin-up...

i'll let you know when i post them on the non-power armor forum :) 

almost finished with this big bastard!!!

i still have to ruminate about using some gold speckling on the base's stones, just to jazz it up a bit, but the basic scheme is finished...

the stones are painted with a base coat of P3 Meredius Blue, then washed with Citadel Shade Druchii Violet... 

after a clean-up with the Meredius Blue again, i lightly drybrushed the highlights with P3 Underbelly Blue... 

a wash of P3 Turquoise Ink ties it all together...

the soil is a base coat of P3 Greatcoat Grey, a wash of Druchii Violet, and a drybrush of Underbelly Blue...

the skulls are a base coat of P3 Gun Corps Brown, a wash of Druchii Violet, a layer of P3 Menoth White Base, a wash of Citadel Shade Reikland Fleshshade, and then a stippling of P3 Menoth White Highlight...

overall, i think that the use of the violet wash throughout the three different elements of the base ties it all together nicely, but the three colors still stand out from each other...

i like the contrast between the dark soil and vibrant stones, while the red-browns and white ensure that the skulls don't get lost in the light highlights of the soil and stones... 

quite a fun little experiment in painting an alien landscape...

868946_sm-.JPG

thanks for looking...

i hope you like it...

cheers

jah

hey B&C...

arms, claws, and flaming sword???

yep, The Emperor is about to be armed!!! ;)

bad jokes aside, the gold on the arms is up to Stage 4, and almost ready to be glued on so that i can paint the shoulder pads...

when i first saw this mini, i immediately thought, "That sword needs some flames."... 

luckily, over the few weeks that i had to put this model on the back burner, Games Workshop released a version of The Emperor's sword... 

the hand is even in the exact same scale... 

that was nice of them!!! :)

869115_sm-.JPG

869116_sm-.JPG

869117_sm-.JPG

869113_sm-.JPG

869114_sm-.JPG

thanks for looking...

cheers

jah

Looking awesome! Really nice metallics especially; I think I'm going to have to give that a try! drool.gif Question, though (you may have answered this already) - who produced this model? Sorry if this's already been asked.

Looking awesome! Really nice metallics especially; I think I'm going to have to give that a try! :drool: Question, though (you may have answered this already) - who produced this model? Sorry if this's already been asked.

It is the celestial Knight of the Knights of legend range from kabuki.

• 3 weeks later...
sorry for the delay in posting...

i've been busy with other commissions, that are sadly not in power armor...

The Emperor's sword is about halfway done... 

the flames on the sword are very nicely sculpted... 

GW has gotten much better at sculpting flames, smoke, and ethereal effects over the last five years... 

i really like these "living" effects on their recent minis... 

saves me from having to sculpt them ;)

as you can see by the hand that is holding the sword, i have painted this blade without primer... 

i find that the acrylic paint sticks to plastic just fine without primer... 

since i paint from darkest to lightest, there are plenty of layers of paint for the lighter colors to show up nicely... 

once the piece is finished and varnished, the paint is well protected... 

basically, Sanguine Base replaces my black primer here, so that i can still do the bit of sculpting on the bare plastic hand that is needed to integrate the sword with the Emperor's wrist...

i started the fire with a base coat of P3 Sanguine Base...

the yellow/orange layer is a 1-3 mix of P3 Khador Red Highlight and P3 Heartfire... 

once i had a solid coat of the mid-tone, i defined the flames with P3 Skorne Red in the deepest recesses, and darkened the base of the blade, and the tips of the flames, with some more Sanguine Base...

874455_sm-.JPG

874456_sm-.JPG

now it's time to bring in the bright colors, and add a load of contrast...

thanks for looking...

cheers

jah

• 2 weeks later...
@noigrim: i just paint what i'm told to paint ;)

for those of you who don't follow me on my Facebook page, last month was a great month for industry friends doing some really cool little things to show that we are really all connected...

to start, Des Hanley, former GW illustrator, and a concept designer for Crocodile Games and Avatars of War, did a run of Aliens themed Photoshop jobs on different owner, sculptor, writer, and artist friends in the miniatures industry...

i was very happy to be included, and as one of the two that get the smart gun :) 

876634_sm-.jpg

the flaming sword is coming to life...

the photos are washing out the orange, and not picking up the white :(

P3 Cygnus Yellow and P3 Morrow White mixed 1-3 makes up the brightest part of the flame...

i think i need to push the white even further, maybe a 1-6 mix, or some pure white, and then a P3 Yellow Ink wash...

this is an experiment, so i am just making it up as i got along ;)

876636_sm-.JPG

876637_sm-.JPG

thanks for looking...

i hope you like it...

cheers

jah

Archived