If the plains world story was apocryphal...

Daevyll

The Dark Angels codex mentions the original Deathwing story on the plains world as apocryphal. I really like that notion, as it fits the way the chapter would disseminate information. Plus, I like the original story and think this is a much more courteous way of handling it rather than just retconning it.

But the question then arises, if the plains world story is apocryphal, when/why did the Deathwing really change its colors (as it were)?

There are lots of fictional stories told in the first person.

If it is apocryphal, then it's a metaphor for the fall of Caliban. I'd suggest Deathwing changed their colours after the Heresy, if that is the case.

To go back home and find that you're very people are subverted by a powerful and alien influence and you feel that it is your duty to redeem them. Sounds awfully like the fall of Caliban. As such, I believe there are truths with it. It's perfect story for the initiates. Ease them in

In the best 40k tradition, we know that sometime in the past 10,000 years the color was changed to white. We also know of a story told from time immemorial, origins and veracity lost in the mists of time, that purports to explain the change. But is it the truth? Some say yes, some say no. Only the Emperor can say for sure.

I have a pet theory about the colours of the DA.

I think after the heresy, the Dark Angels changed their armour to green to differentiate themselves from the brethren who had rebelled. Presumably the terminators kept their black armour as a mark of shame. When they discovered the existence fo the Fallen and formed the Ravenwing, I imagine their armour was repainted black to allow them to get close to their former brethren. I quite like the concept of the Deathwing fighting against the odds to capture a Fallen/several Fallen and re-painting their armour to denote this. The rest of the Chapter might then have been told a different story...

The main body of the DA according to the fluff in Cypher dataslate repainted their armour green following the loyalists on Caliban who repainted their armours green to differentiate them from the ones that followed Luther...

This is the same story as the DW changing from black to bone...

The DW was a company that predates the fall of Caliban (it is named in Unremembered Empire) and some bits of the fluff in current DA codex may denote that RW was pre heresy too...

DA are known during GC and HH to have 6 specialized companies that could be the basis of the successors chapter and of the DW and RW too...

There are lots of fictional stories told in the first person.

If it is apocryphal, then it's a metaphor for the fall of Caliban.

The theme of Deathing is "honor and redemption", while that of the Fall of Caliban is "dishonor and betrayal".  Not exactly metaphors for one another.

As to the armor color changing, if it is not to honor those who saved a recruiting world, it could be to honor those who have achived "purity if purpose" by being inducted in to the Dathwing, for only they are righteous and stalwart enough to (with full knowledge) prosecute the secret agenda of the Chapter.

Archived