one where the bad guys win...

Backslide

I loved the night lord series, just finished first heretic, I am a touch jaded of the holy/awesome Space marines winning the day, prefer it when the bad guys win, battle of the fang was horrid mostly because the wolves won (and they were wooden) 

any suggestions? I want the badies to win

There's tonnes of books where the Imperium beats the Tau...oh wait, you probably don't think the Tau are the good guys. tongue.png

Well, technically, they're not. They're just the least bad (from our perspective).

Back on topic - any of the anthology stories with Chaos Marines as the protagonists will very likely end up with them winning. It won't happen every time but often enough.

There's tonnes of books where the Imperium beats the Tau...oh wait, you probably don't think the Tau are the good guys. tongue.png

Well, technically, they're not. They're just the least bad (from our perspective).

That's a personal opinion. Genocide via force sterilization is really bad on my morality scale; I'd actually go with the Exodite Eldar as the last, real "good" guys left in the universe. They just want to be left alone to tend their farms and raise the occasional dragon.

Y'know the Dark Crusade Tau ending isn't canon, right? Besides, no-one liked the Poctroon, and Bork'an just looks so much better with Tau on it!

Other than that, I suppose this thread is really asking for books Chaos have won, which is a bit more specific. Unless Orks, Nids or Eldar have won any?

We'll most of the Chaos themes ones - the bad guys  er, heroic rebels win:

Bastion Wars

Treacheries of the Space Marines

Renegades of the Dark Millenium

The Word Bearers win at the end of Dark Apostle.

Personally after reading the Word Bearers series I felt the only loser was the readers.

Blood Gorgons sort of technically the less bad of two sets of really bad guys wins as it is Blood Gorgons v Blood Gorgons & Death Guard (with some Dark eldar thrown in for comic relief).

If you step outside power armour then Andy Chambers Dark Eldar series is won by Absurd Vect (who is the badest of the bad space elves).

If you can get your hands on Let the Galaxy Burn or Dark Emperium Anthology there's some stories where the bad guys win. For example Apothecary's Honour, The Fall of Malvolian, In the Belly of The Beast etc.

Haven't read all of the stories but those three are my favorite so far.

The First Heretic ends on Istvaan if I remember correctly (admittedly it ends a few days after the actual battle), and unless I'm mistaken and can't count, nearly wiping out three loyalist legions is a bit of a victory...

Archived