AoD FOC discussion

Nehekhare

It seems clear to me that the 30K expansion forbids multiple detachments or use of battle forged or unbound.  Just because the example in a clarifying statement refers to the 6th edition method of breaking the FOC, doesn't mean that the underlying restriction doesn't apply to any other edition.  The Age of Darkness expansion very neatly replaces the army selection chapter of the 7th edition rulebook with no need for FAQs.  All that's needed is a replacement for the clarifying statement to deter those who are really determined to subvert the balanced and thematic force selection system in order to spam heavy support choices (okay, we also need an update to reflect the changes in scoring units).

Of course you can use 40K rules and take 9 Sicarans in a 2000 point game, but Forge World wrote the Age of Darkness expansion with more regard for balance than GW cares for these days.  If you're happy with using the awful 7th edition army selection, why bother trying to evangelise this false reading of rules you have no intention of using?  Single primary detachments with the option for one allied detachment, combined with optional rites of war and balanced lord or war choices, make for a cohesive system that has plenty of character and as much balance as you could expect from a list this flexible.  Patching in unbound and unbound lite with dubious reasoning results in a system that makes no sense, has meaningless restrictions that can be effortlessly subverted, has all incentives for thematic lists thrown out of the window, and kills off any semblance of balance.  I'm left wondering what's worse - that anyone actually believes this is what the rules are, or that anyone would want 30K to so spectacularly invalidate itself.

so basically you're prejudiced towards a certain restrictive version of battle-forged that you consider balanced (it isn't). Have you even played 7th edition yet? Can you provide any argument or proof that the AoD FOCs are not included in the concept of battle-forged army composition and thus further the discussion?

Forgive my lack of knowledge, I don't play so often, but, is it correct that since the release of 7th edition, there's been no 30K FAQ?

If that's the case, and until it's no longer the case, I'd suggest that those who want to try and apply the 7th edition selections do so, and those that don't, don't.

I'm personally in the camp that the AoD FOCs were written with 6th edition in mind, using their own independent force selection method, and until an FAQ I'd not go near all this 7th stuff like unbound etc. It just seems like trying to squeeze in change for changes sake, when the previous system worked fine.

Archived