1k Word Bearers with Daemon Allies: Updated after Game

Emperor's Furor

So I was trying to figure out how to get this to work and I think I did it but could use some advice on whether it is legal or not.

HQ

Erebus - 195

Centurion - Pair of Lightning Claws / Artificer Armour -  85

Herald of Khorne / Locus of Fury / Greater Reward - 95

Elites

Cataphractii Terminator Squad - 2 Power Swords / 3 Power Fists / Reaper Autocannon - 205

Troops

Legion Tactical Squad (x10) -  Power Weapon - 150

Bloodletters (x10) - 100

Total - 1000

Legal, but terrible.  30k armies are really bare bones even at 1500 points, at 1k you're going to have trouble scraping together a functional force that doesn't have some kind of weakness to it.  When you cram in an ally detachment on top of that?  You've got no points left over for your basics.

1. Footslogging Cataphractii terminators are useless.  They cannot run, so they are stuck moving 6 inches a turn at most.  With even a little kiting and a round of fury of the legion, a tactical blob will destroy them easily.

2. Nearly 40% of your army is spent in HQ.  As WB, you're required to spend a little more into your HQ because of the second compulsory choice.  That much is unavoidable.  However, the allied detachment (and bringing an expensive special character) in such a small game is crippling.

3. Lack of anti-tank.  At 1k points, I think you can pretty reliably expect to see a Contemptor-Mortis, probably one with twin Kheres.  A single reaper autocannon and a plasma pistol is not going to cut it.  If you're lucky, you might get one glance every two turns on its front armor, and one out of every three of those will be saved by its invul.  And see above for your Cataphractii's powerfists.  You cannot expect your opponent to just walk their Contemptor into your slowboating terminators.

I think if you want to do this force with this theme, it needs to be done at a much higher points level.  Like 1850 minimum.

Yeah, I realized it was pretty uncompetitive, I eventually want to add some Contemptors and a forgelord with some Castellax. If it helps I'll only be using this list against normal 40k armies for the time being in a friendly capacity, as my friends ain't as far ahead in their heresy forces as I am  atm (even if I really ain't that far either). The general theme of the force will be a mass infantry assault supported by daemons and mechanicum. I also have the chaos space marine possessed sprue so will be converting some Gal Vorbak when they release the new bodies and heads.

So tried this list out today against dark eldar, it minced up anything that came into close combat, but for the most part it just got shot to death and I was wiped out by turn 5. Erebus didn't fair well, he did destroy a raider with his plasma pistol though, but he suffered from perils of the warp three times whilst trying to summon daemons.

I'm going to drop the daemons as allies as well as Erebus, make my centurion a diabolist and perhaps add a librarian to boost warp charge generation (faced a lvl 3 farseer). I want to add a contemptor mortis with two lascannons minimal to add some long range fire power.

I'm also about to make some gal vorbak and have the bits for a rhino so I could possibly add them in to.

Edit:

Do you think this is better?

HQ
Diabolist - Pair of Lightning Claws / Artificer Armour / Burning Lore / Melta Bomb -  155
Chaplain - 85

Elites
Gal Vorbak (x5) - 200
Contemptor - Two Twin Linked Lascannons - 185
Rapier Weapons Battery - Graviton Cannon - 75

Troops

you could try 

Erebus

Centurion

Gal Vorbak

Legion Tac

Legion Tac

Sicaran - dakka set up

Play around with your points and try and squeeze melta bombs or extra marines into your tac squads for more survivability.  Look at melta bombs on your centurion unless you stick him with a power fist/thunder hammer.  you could always stick a nuncio box on a squad for your Gal Vorbak to DS in on.

Archived