SoB - The Unknown Menace

Popped into one of the GW stores near me to find some SoB figures in one of the glass display cases, Celestine, and a few squads, was a nice surprise really may be 30 models altogether.

Got chatting to one of the team, a lad may be early 20s at best, he was saying that was the most sisters models he'd ever seem in one place before, then proceeded to tell me sisters were only good against space marines and not much else mellow.png

I enjoy the models and painting them, if they never won a game, so what, I have pride in fielding a fine looking army that I should have painted up years ago, so pleased I've started now.

DHD

I dunno about that, my Tau have had trouble with Sisters in the past. Especially when allied with Inquisitors and sprinkled with Priests, that hurt! Sisters are a really cool army to see on the table, but admittedly part of that might be their rarity. I wish GW would really expand on them, and bring them to the fore for a while.

You mean to say a GW employee had no idea what he was talking about? Someone fetch me my chair (the one with the cushions) I need to sit down! :lol: Jokes aside, what does it matter what some oik thinks? Challenge him to a game and let him put his money where his mouth is, instead of his foot ;)

Popped into one of the GW stores near me to find some SoB figures in one of the glass display cases,  Celestine, and a few squads, was a nice surprise really may be 30 models altogether.

Got chatting to one of the team, a lad may be early 20s at best, he was saying that was the most sisters models he'd ever seem in one place before, then proceeded to tell me sisters were only good against space marines and not much else :mellow:

I enjoy the models and painting them, if they never won a game, so what, I have pride in fielding a fine looking army that I should have painted up years ago, so pleased I've started now.

DHD

Sisters have so many hidden gems people underestimate them.

They work great against any horde army and any heavy armour army, only 3 areas they lack, dealing with high toughness like wraith knights but this is due to lack of weapon options due to age, anti air as they don't have there own dedicated anti air, much like wolves ANC the avenger us anti infantry truth be told and finally combat, they don't have a high strength or armour so they can lack a bit in this area however since the onset of 7th edition they have only become stronger.

Personally I would say our weaknesses are range, lack of unit variety and middling speed.  I find we are very strong in close combat though we took some nerfs with that department in the latest codex.

Personally I would say our weaknesses are range, lack of unit variety and middling speed.  I find we are very strong in close combat though we took some nerfs with that department in the latest codex.

I wouldn't say we are strong in close combat, but we are a little more durable thanks to priests. For whatever reason though I hate those priests. Its a little irrational so I won't defend that position, but I think Sisters' units should be able to stand on their own without needing a Priest. I don't think Sisters have much punch in close combat and there are plenty of armies out there that will mow down our units before we get into assault range. Most of our units have all the failings of a SM tactical squad with none of the benefits. For a supposed horde army I feel we lack massive amounts of bullets. If there is one thing IG and Orks can do is lots of shots filling the air. I feel like we shoudl have soemthing that gives more medium to short range shooting since that is our specialty supposedly.

I wouldn't say we are strong in close combat, but we are a little more durable thanks to priests. For whatever reason though I hate those priests. Its a little irrational so I won't defend that position, but I think Sisters' units should be able to stand on their own without needing a Priest. I don't think Sisters have much punch in close combat and there are plenty of armies out there that will mow down our units before we get into assault range. Most of our units have all the failings of a SM tactical squad with none of the benefits. For a supposed horde army I feel we lack massive amounts of bullets. If there is one thing IG and Orks can do is lots of shots filling the air. I feel like we shoudl have soemthing that gives more medium to short range shooting since that is our specialty supposedly.

I've never heard the Sisters referred to as a horde army before... No wonder we have a poor reputation among 40k players!  If anything, we are a glass cannon army...  Everything we have can put out tremendous damage output, provided it gets the chance to :p

In our previous Codex I found the most success with our assault elements... we had some very potent units that could team up well with the rest of the army, forcing that hard choice on your opponent: 'do I stay here and get shot or do I charge in and get wiped next turn?'

With the digital codex, our assault elements and thus synergy took a knock but instead our individual troops got better in assault to make up for it.  Personally, I preferred the old way but with just a single priest in a unit, a squad of 9 sisters can force that bad choice once more.

I totally get the Priest hate though, they really ride the line of clashing with both the aesthetic and the fluff of the army.

I totally get the Priest hate though, they really ride the line of clashing with both the aesthetic and the fluff of the army.

How do crazed battle preachers clash with the fluff of an Ecclesiarchal themed army?

Aesthetically I like the ragged lunatic priest model, though a power armour priest would be a cool option. I suppose a counts-as Inquisitor would do, but I have my own prejudice against Inquisitors in an SoB army.

My local Sisters player has a converted bunch of "priestesses," with a Sisters Land Raider, Sisters-aligned Freeblade Knight, and a female Inquisitor with female Death Cult Assassins. (Said list is also pretty nasty!)

Archived