Daemonic Pact 1: A Chaos Event Result

Uprising

My fiends fluff kind of follows on from that of it's creator, so I've copied it over here for anyone who cares.

Warpsmith

No two chaos warpsmiths are the same, yet few are as strange as the warpsmith of the Crimson Eye - the mad Jokaero, Mojo Jojo.  Transformed during forbidden experiments by a rogue tech priest, Mojo acquired the the ability to speak as a human, along with considerable physical strength and size, and technological brilliance staggering even for a member of his strange race.  Yet the changes twisted his mind, making him violent and hateful, and opening his heart to the call of Chaos.  Mojo left Imperial territory and made his way to the Eye of Terror, where he found a place among the Dark Mechanicus.

Though his swift mastery of daemonic arcanotech impressed his new peers, few could tolerate his prideful attitude or infuriating, repetitive speech patterns.  Further, Mojo is prone to sudden bouts of intense physical violence, in which he often damages or destroys precious and irreplaceable machinery.  To get rid of him, he was assigned to handle the contract of a traitor astartes warband, the then newly founded Crimson Eyes.  Contract warpsmiths are tasked with maintaining the hiring warband's equipment, managing the daemon engines leased to them by the Dark Mechanicus, and ensuring that the proper payments in souls and materials are made to the chaos forges.  Though initially displeased with his assignment, Mojo has taken to the work with relish.  He has first access to any xenos and Imperial technology taken by the Crimson Eyes, and fighting alongside the chaos marines gives Mojo ample outlet for his violent urges.

Mojo alone among the officers of the Crimson Eyes is not a member of the Black Shrine's inner circle.  At first Wiegraf took great pains to hide the cult's secrets from their warpsmith, but in time he came to realize that Mojo simply did not care about their beliefs or goals - so long as the jokaero was supplied with material to fuel his experiments and regular opportunities to unleash the fruits of his labor in battle, Mojo remains content to let the chaos marines believe whatever they wish, and the warband's weaponry and warmachines remain in top shape. 

Even without a forge, Mojo continues to experiment with arcanotech, and is constantly making 'upgrades' to the daemon engines of the Crimson Eye.  He has even managed to create several new daemon engines without a forge, using cobbled together wrecks and daemonic spirits bound by the warband's sorcerers.  Mojo's experiments do not end with the physical bodies of these machine-beasts but also extend to the possessing spirits themselves, and he has managed to develop methods which sever daemons from their patrons, stripping them of their names and identities and binding them together in networks of several spirits operating a single daemon engine in concert.  This has allowed him to create modular daemon engines which can be completely reconfigured with only a few hours work, even in the midst of battle.

Such experiments are, of course, forbidden - were the greater powers to find out about Mojo's techniques, their servants would soon be marshalled to crush him and destroy his allies.  Further, the Dark Mechanicus does not know about the daemon engines Mojo has crafted without a Forge, and he has been keeping the tithes that the Crimson Eye have paid for their use, rather than sending the payments on to his Forge Lord masters.  This is a dangerous game to play, but thus far it has worked out well for him, as the inherent secrecy of the Crimson Eye about the inner workings of their cult has shielded Mojo's own indiscretions.

Fiend (same as in the OP)

One such modular daemon engine with a collective animus is the Warfiend Mahmud, of the line of Menachem, of the line of Melchizedek, most recent of Mojos mighty mechanical monstrosities.  The fiend can be fitted with ectocannons, hades autocannons, or a pair of devastating giant saw blades which chew through enemy vehicles and fortifications alike.  Each of these weapons have their own bound daemonic spirit possessing them, while the body itself is possessed by a network of several such spirits bound together.

The resulting abomination is sometimes unpredictable, and when it takes sufficient damage the network can begin to come unraveled - more then once Mahmud has wrecked itself in battle, literally tearing itself apart with its own terrible weaponry.  But the binding on the daemonic spirits, reinforced by the chief sorcerer of the Crimson Eye, has held, and after each 'incident' Mojo has pached his monster back together to fight again.  Wiegraf, a consummate strategist and disciplined warrior, finds the unreliability of the new daemon engine extremely frustrating, but cannot fault its sheer force in battle, nor the tactical versatility that such a modular war engine affords him.

For best fluff, I'm voting for Kol.  Nice story, mate.  I loved how you captured the feel of falling in and out of madness with your viewpoint character, there.  Telling your lord's story from a third party perspective was a good choice.

For best painted, I'm going to put in a vote for Black Legion solidarity with Sith'aris.  I'm a sucker for a clean Black Legion paint scheme, and Sith's raptors here are pulling off a look that I often tried for and never managed to succeed at with my own models - a minimalist look that really captures the grim tone of the Legion, set off well by the blood effect.

And for overall, I'm going with Dark Apostle.  From the moment I first saw the kit, I knew the new storm troopers would make fantastic chaos models, and he really brings it home with his word bearers paint job, and the fluff really captured that feel of once once loyal imperialists falling to chaos when they find themselves alone and abandoned.

A bit later than planned (cheers again work! dry.png ) but I thought I'd post my raptors fluff here, so its sort of in the right place!

Tired and broken after days of relentless marching, the remaining guardsmen of the Cadian 621st finally began moving into the Crados valley, fervently praying that they had at last found some respite from the insanity that had gripped their world. Of the 2500 brave men that had witnessed the Arch Fiends initial forays onto Cadia, only 43 remained.

Soon even they would be gone.

From his concealed vantage point high in the cliff face, Kyn Sareakist allowed himself a rare smile. Finally, after days of herding, the prey had arrived. The quickening of his hearts told him all he needed to know – soon his talon would taste blood, he would feel his bolter kicking in his fist and all of his patience would be rewarded. Watching the guardsmen scrabble over the rough valley floor, he shifted his weight ever so slightly. His vision narrowed. His muscles tensed. The mortals were in striking range. Now was the time to...

A pale green rune signifying an incoming transmission flashed across his vision. Relaxing ever so slightly, he opened the channel.

“There had better be a good reason you are disturbing our hunt Marek.” he said with a barely restrained snarl. Heavy with atmospheric distortion, his 'brothers' workmanlike response was barely intelligible.

“Pull your squad back brother, we've received new orders. The Gate Aflame is needed elsewhere, your hunters included. A thunderhawk is on route to your location.”

Now that was surprising.

“Maybe I didn't hear you correctly, but it almost sounded like you said we're leaving Cadia. Now. When the opening moves of the final war are being made and when I finally have prey in my sights. If The Blackened wants us to leave then he had better damn well tell me himself and not leave it to you!”

More distortion followed his outburst.

“Jarrod the Blackened is no more brother, he has ascended. Valgaddon has assumed command for now and these orders come directly from the Warmaster. So unless you fancy explaining to him why we missed our opportunity to slip through the imperial navy you will forget this hunt and be on that thunderhawk when it arrives!” With a piercing whine the transmission ended.

Almost immediately the squad vox opened and the amused voice of Yurasai, his second, filled his ears.

“You know, we still have three minutes before it arrives...”

With a wry grin Sareakist issued the order they had all been waiting for.

“Declare!”

Leaping from his perch, Sareakist vented all of his pent up aggression into a constant, piercing screech. As soon as his armoured feet crashed into one unfortunate soul, he realised that soon a new hunt would begin, on a new world.

And that thought filled him with joy.

Sorry to post and run, but I am exhausted! Gonna get some sleep and have a good look through everyones work tomorrow. B)

For best fluff, Kol. Loved the story, really enjoyed reading it.

Best painted, I'll stick with my original vote for a fellow Word Bearer and go for The Dark One. I really love the red here, such a great colour and completely even.

If there is a best converted category, I would give that to Malisteen. There is some really very good conversion work here to what looks like a very high technical standard. Makes me wish I had not already assembled my fiend.

As for best overall I think I have to go for Sithari. I have a bit of a thing for the new raptor kit and he really shows of how great it is here. Love the fluff too, even though it's short, I think it really captures the feel of Raptors.

Phew! Feeling a little more human today, so I've had a chance to fully appreciate everyones fantastic work. Seriously guys, props to everyone as there's alot of very nice stuff here! cool.png

Right, now for the hard part - placing a vote!

My vote for best painted goes to malisteen. There's so much going on here, from the beautiful work on the skin and metals to the ultrasharp highlights on the black. Everything has been done with care and it really shows! A very inspiring fiend - great work!

My vote for Best fluff goes to MAX. A very fun piece about the development of a very cool and unique unit for his warband. My favourite part has to be a new pilots first job! biggrin.png

Finally my best overall vote goes to Raass. A beautifful looking unit that really matches the Night Lords vibe. Very sinister and cool!

Great work guys! I'm looking forward to the next pact, where hopefully I'll be a little more organised!laugh.png

Results Time

For Best Painted, the winner is: A tie between Raaas and Malisteen

So you both get this

gallery_29004_9303_26248.png

Wear it with pride, good job to you both.

For Best Fluff the winner is: A tie between Kol and Dark Apostle.

So you both get this

gallery_29004_9303_25148.png

For the Best Overall the winner is: Dark Apostle

You get this

gallery_29004_9303_25034.png

and you will decide the next choice for the next pact.

I thank everyone for their time, and effects. I hope you all had fun, and realize your all winners, because you all have awesome painted models.

Vowing for next pact will start August 1.

Wow thanks everyone for the participation and congrats to fellow painting winner Malisteen, to winning fluffers (msn-wink.gif) Kol and to overal winner Dark Apostle! Thanks Forte for the banges. And of course thanks to Uprising for the hosting of the event. This was fun! :tu:

Thanks everyone, Uprising especially for getting this organized.  It was a great way to inspire some extra progress during ETL, and I look forward to the next round.  Hopefully we can keep this running as a year round thing.

Archived