Best way to field Veterans?

Emperor's Furor

I'm thinking of turning my Destroyer Squad into a Veteran Squad, atm they have jump packs and a missile launcher with suspensor, but I want to take the packs off and put them in a rhino, so I'm wondering if I should alter them more. Perhaps add another 5 with another missile launcher? or should I go another way completely with different weaponry?

Well, seeing as how the new 7th ed sniper rule works, all your weapons now have pseudo-rending :D (if you take sniper as their skill) so take that as you will.

What do you hope for them to accomplish? What does your army need? Which legion are you? (Is it your WBs?)

I personally am thinking of taking outflank for my 10 vets with 2 power swords and the sarge with artificer armor and a powerfist. As for the two special weapons, I'm thinking plasma guns as they are fluffy for 1st legion but can also double tap usually into an enemy squad when they outflank, and if they get charged, the enemy will have to deal with those over watch shots :)

I would also attach an apothecary to the squad to help them last a bit longer and a vexilla unless you are doing WBs

They will start to get expensive fast (almost as much as a termie squad) but you can have them fill any gaps in your army you need or want.

I'm not sure any more now, I have two missile launchers with suspensors so that's why I was leaning towards the vets, however I'm wondering now if they are best used to support my word bearers in another way, I played a game and I lacked a lot of ranged firepower to take down my enemies skimmers and bikes (dark eldar).

What slot(s) do you have open? If you had 1-2 elite slots you could field Contemptor-Mortis Dreads for skyfire/intercept while stationary or good anti-vehicle if they have moved prior.

If you've got Heavy Support, Pred Squads would be a good idea since taking up to 3 per slot lets you take a lot of tanks if you want to.

oh alright, then why not HS with Heavy Flamers to be fluffy and have some anti horde capabilities? this also depends on the bits you have lying about but 5 men extra would be best put to use as HS or Tac Sup imo since they give the best versatility. 

Just realised I don't have the standard back packs available for them, so that's a pain. I may just go back to using them as destroyers, let them deep strike alongside my Gal Vorbak some a big punch in the gut, even though they are super expensive for just 5, or I'll just put them to one side for now and save them for a loyalist force, thanks for your input guys.

Archived