Getting a death guard army commissioned and need help

Grizwald23

Like the title says I'm getting a death guard army commissioned that will probably be around 4 to 4.5k worth of points. I plan on mainly using the army for smaller games around 2500 or 3000 point games but I want to be able to field most the army as a whole for bigger games. I also want to keep the army vey fluffy. Bellow I put a list of the units I am thinking about including this list needs refinement but its a rough idea and I probably need to cut a couple things. Also I didn't include Mortarian bellow but he is an auto include

My first Question is The Reaping worth taking or would I be better off without it

So far I was thinking of my army looking something like

HQ

Typhon

Siege Breaker

Troops

2 x 20 man tac squads with extra close combat weapons

- Sargents with power fist and art arm

If making the army around the reaping

2x 10 man veteran squad w/ 2 pw, 2 Hvy flamers

- Sargent with power scyth and art armor

- a rhino to ride in

10 man Hvy support Squad with Hvy flamer

- a rhino to ride in

If not basing army around the reaper

10 man tac support squad with flamers

- with a rhino

And either another 20 man tac squad or a 20 man Breacher squad

Elites

5 to 10 man Deathshroud terminators (what is the best way to run these guys)

- either a spartan or a regular land raider or on foot ( again best way to run with most likely be with Typhon)

3 rapier graviton cannons or laser destroyers (which are better options)

10 man destroyer squad 2 missle launchers w/ magnetized jumpacks

- Sargent W/ thunder hammer (cause It will look cool) and art armor

- a rhino for when they are on foot

Contemptor Talon

1- 2 Kherson ass cannon, and havoc launcher (can also be used as a mortis dread)

2 -Kherson ass cannon, ccw w/ heavy flamer

3- Multi Melta, chain fist w/ heavy flamer

3 apothecaries

Fast

Haven't thought off anything

Heavy

Artillery Squad w/x3 Medusa

Predator Squad w/ (I already own these so I won't have to buy them)

X2 flamestorm cannon turret with heavy bolter sponsons

X1 Magna Melta Turret

X5 to 10 Grave Warden Terminators w/ Hvy flamer and 2 chain fists (what's the best squad load out)

- either spartan or landrader or on foot (which is the best way to run these guys)

Is their any units I should have here that I don't or any units I should defiently cut

Thanks for the help

My first thing would be if you want to use typhon with the death shroud if you want to give them a ride you can only take 9 and fit in the spartan. Also where is your siege breaker going to go it looks like you have most bases covered I don't have the rules in front of me but grav versus laser destroyers would come down to range I think personally I would go with grav if you aren't worried about your reach, I have seen haywire do nasty things to tanks... Otherwise I would wonder how you were planning to play gun line or getting up close?

Do you have Plasma in case they come with heavy Terminator lists?

Medusa and Melta Pred may be ok but some Plasma might be better if your opponent has TDA numbers.

HQ

Typhon

Siege Breaker

This is generally fine, a big HQ for your big battles and a smaller one for smaller battles.  I'm not sure Siege Breaker is the right choice, though.  Don't be drawn in by the lure of phosphex for your Medusas: you're better off with the S10 AP2 shot in pretty much every scenario.  There are some much better Consul options (like a Master of Signal or Primus Medicae).

Troops

2 x 20 man tac squads with extra close combat weapons

- Sargents with power fist and art arm

This is also fine.  I would personally be putting Scythes on any sergeant I could squeeze one on.  Still has AP2 for challenges, sweep attack for clearing swaths of enemy troops, and quite fluffy for the legion.

If making the army around the reaping

2x 10 man veteran squad w/ 2 pw, 2 Hvy flamers

- Sargent with power scyth and art armor

- a rhino to ride in

I am not really sure that Rhinos are worth the points in 30k.  There is a whole lot of mid-strength high ROF shooting in 30k, between masses of autocannons, missile launchers, volkites, etc.  You also have this thing where you are building a melee squads, putting them into transports that they can't charge out of, and taking a Rite of War that doesn't let them run.  The Reaping is more about an implacable advance than a Rhino rush.  I don't really like Veteran Squads much in the first place.  They are quite expensive for what are just T4 3+ marines.  If you are keeping these guys, you ought to give the sergeants Rad Grenades.

10 man Hvy support Squad with Hvy flamer

- a rhino to ride in

A fairly scary unit if it can get its shots off, but it's so short ranged that I don't think it will ever really perform.  You would have a more universally useful unit if you dropped the rhino and bought them missile launchers instead.

If not basing army around the reaper

10 man tac support squad with flamers

- with a rhino

And either another 20 man tac squad or a 20 man Breacher squad

This has the same problem as the Heavy Support squad with the heavy flamers, it's just so short ranged and Rhinos are so vulnerable.  The big 20 man blocks of bolter-holding troops are good choices, though.

Elites

5 to 10 man Deathshroud terminators (what is the best way to run these guys)

- either a spartan or a regular land raider or on foot ( again best way to run with most likely be with Typhon)

Don't bother with the regular land raider.  For one, you can't put Typhon and 5 Deathshrouds in it, it only has a transport capacity of 10 marines or 5 terminators.  The Spartan can carry 25 marines or 12 terminators.  The Spartan is also incredibly points efficient, for being only slightly more expensive than a Land Raider Phobos but it brings significantly more durability, firepower, and transport capacity.

3 rapier graviton cannons or laser destroyers (which are better options)

I like lasdestroyers, but I can see the case for the gravitons.  This would probably come down to your local meta and the points you have available in your list after buying everything else.  If your opponents regularly field flare-shielded Spartans, then you should probably prefer the gravitons so you can try to glance it down by turn 2 with haywire.

10 man destroyer squad 2 missle launchers w/ magnetized jumpacks

- Sargent W/ thunder hammer (cause It will look cool) and art armor

- a rhino for when they are on foot

Contemptor Talon

1- 2 Kherson ass cannon, and havoc launcher (can also be used as a mortis dread)

2 -Kherson ass cannon, ccw w/ heavy flamer

3- Multi Melta, chain fist w/ heavy flamer

The twin-Kheres Contemptor should always be a Contemptor-Mortis because you completely lack anti-air.  I prefer the twin-TLLC loadout, though - the extra range and AP2 make it much more deadly to flyers.  The second Contemptor with Kheres, DCCW, and HF is pretty classic.  Multimelta is of questionable usefulness, because of the availability of Armored Ceramite in 30k.

3 apothecaries

A good choice, keeps those tacticals on their feet.  Augury scanners are a cheap and worthwhile upgrade on them.

Fast

Haven't thought off anything

Heavy

Artillery Squad w/x3 Medusa

Strong, always good if you have the points.

Predator Squad w/ (I already own these so I won't have to buy them)

X2 flamestorm cannon turret with heavy bolter sponsons

X1 Magna Melta Turret

Awful.  The Magna-melta predator is basically just a worse Vindicator.  All three of these require the Machine Spirit upgrade to have a hope of being effective.  It's a shame that these are the models you already own, because they are basically the weakest loadouts for Predators.

X5 to 10 Grave Warden Terminators w/ Hvy flamer and 2 chain fists (what's the best squad load out)

- either spartan or landrader or on foot (which is the best way to run these guys)

If they're on foot, then don't spend points on chain fists or heavy flamers.  They don't have the mobility to reach melee on foot.  Spartans are pretty much always the better buy over Land Raiders if you have the points for them.  You are paying less than 50 points for 15 additional transport capacity, 2 additional lascannon shots, and 1 extra hull point.  And the ability to buy a Flare Shield (which you should).  Even if you can't afford the Flare Shield, the Spartan's stats over the Land Raider easily justify the price.

Thanks for the advice guys. I may get rid of predators I was thinking they could advance in front of my tac squads and be mobile cover and since vehicles got better and death guard get the special rules for flamer weapons also from what I've been hearing about 7th I was hoping they might work out. As far as Spartans I forgot to mention I will probably be getting one painted up but no more since I think more then one is kind of cheesy. With the vets I was planning either keeping them in reserve and using them clear off objects late game with flamers and then a couple power weapons to take care of what's left next turn and using the rhinos to get them their faster since like you said we can't run. The other thing I was thinking was putting both squads and the Hvy flamer squad on one flank and use them to rush up the one side of the board forcing my opponent to either deal with them or get a hurting turn 2 when they come out shooting. I might add a autocannon squad though or switch out the heavy flamer squad for them. I will also likely exchange the multi melta on the one contemptor for a plasma cannon. As far as the Deathshroud with Typhon I was original getting a 8to 10 man squad to go with Typhon but from everything I have read it is a waste of points since they will annihilate everything after one round of combat then get shot to hell the next turn so I figured Typhon and 4 Deathshroud will be a good optioned and I will have the extra Deathshroud if I ever decide to run them by themselves.

Archived