Heavy Weapon Teams

Joasht

Amongst the things I purchased recently to start my AM army was the Cadian Defence Force boxed set, which includes a Heavy Weapons team.

As I sat down figuring out what I liked and didn't like in the codex, I noticed that they are unusually expensive if taken as a Heavy Weapons team (unless I'm missing something, it seems like they are 15 points more expensive than one would expect, for no real apparent reason). This, coupled with BS3, seemed like a bad investment since weapons have a flat cost regardless of who purchases them (i.e. they cost the same to BS3 guardsmen as they do to BS4 vets).

However, it also got me to thinking whether I should consider taking them in Veteran Squads. BS4 bumps their accuracy up a bit, and the heavy weapon oddly doesn't eat into my allocation for other special weapons. It does somewhat ground the unit, as our transports don't exactly have enough gun ports facing in the right directions to optimize the whole "3 special weapons + 1 heavy weapon" package a Vet squad could potentially bring.

This isn't a tragic downside I guess; Plasmaguns still have a semi-decent range, so you could drive them up and unload them into terrain turn 1, with Camo Gear and/or Carapace to give them a little more survivability. The autocannon seems like a decent pick, although with the new vehicle rules I don't entirely rule out the value of having some BS4 Lascannons in the army.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on Heavy Weapon Teams; be it comments on my own thoughts, or your own take on them. Do you use your models? What kind of squad are they in/what role do they play? What heavy weapon do you use?

Thanks!

Usually, I hide my Heavy Weapon Teams in my Infantry Squads. The latter will usually have either a Lascannon Team and a Flamer Special or an Autocannon Team and a Melta Special. I make up for BS3 with - more guns. Also my regular Infantry Squads are usually sitting still holding objectives so the Heavy is fine.

There are only two occassions when I use the standalone 3 Heavy Weapon Teams: When I run 3 Mortars (firing indirect Barrage) or when I hide 3 Lascannons in a Bastion, Firestorm Redoubt or Stormsword. Otherwise, they are too easy to kill.

My Vets are usually on the offensive with 3 Meltas or 3 Flamers and / or Demolitions - so I don't saddle them with Heavy Weapons. Except for sometimes including Harker with his Relentless Heavy Bolter.

14568336382_7cac35259c_c.jpg

GW missed a step with HWTs, all they'd need is immunity to instant death and they'd be far more useful. As squads they can be great at laying down fire power but are best kept cheap which is why I like mortars and heavy bolters etc. Otherwise putting them in infantry squads as kilo says is best, lets you use orders and protect them easier and is a great use for squads you plan on having hold friendly objectives or help hold your deployment.

I also prefer my Vets mobile, and I like my heavier weapons on vehicles as that lets them maintain vital mobility. If you want to go with HWTs then the best way is in number for example in an artillery style army so you throw so many dice at your opponent that their drawbacks are less of an issue :P

They are incredibly useful when put into any squad. When you are putting them into bs 3 squads, its better to go with morters, autocannons or heavy bolters as the muitple shots help with one hitting. Although if you are putting them in heavy weapons teams (which are great for holding the home objective if you can keep them protected).

The only HWT's I put in Infantry Squads are the Heavy Bolter and the Autocannon. A single Lascannon shot isn't reliable enough, and it also means that a good handful of Lasguns are sitting idle. I prefer having dedicated AT units, who can destroy a vehicle per turn rather reliably, and Infantry Squads who can put a serious dent in enemy Troop choices. Hence my preference for Heavy Bolters. biggrin.png

I also run Heavy Weapons Squads, usually 4 of them with, respectively, Lascannons, Flakk/ Missile Launchers, Autocannons and Mortars.

They're not the toughest out there, but put them in some terrain and they'll live long enough to do damage. having Objective Secured also helps. yes.gif

You want AC or HB on Infantry Squads and AC or LC on Veterans. Do not bother with HWS, they cost too much. Basically, one IS or Vet squad is just wounds for the heavy/special weapons hidden there, this works quite well. HWS are bad because they have no extra bodies protecting them. If their cost included a few naked Guardmen/-women (hell yeah :D), I'd consider them. As it stands, hidden weapons or do not bother.

@Immersturm: I still don't agree. A single AT weapon just isn't effective in this edition, as you'll usually have to whittle down their HP's, so I'd rather field mobile Melta vets, where a Lascannon would only slow them down and be useless. All the while my Lascannons sit in the backfield utilizing their long range to maximum effect, and they don't have to move. Also 3 BS3 Lascannons beat a single BS4 Lascannon any day.

AC's and HB's do work wonders in Infantry Squads however.

Due to how fragile the heavy weapons teams are, ive been considering using armored sentinels for that role. T3 sux, where S6 weapons will insta-kill a weapons team, S6 will barely scratch an armored sentinel. 3 lascannon weapon teams are only 45pts cheaper than 3 lascannon A. Sentinels but if you factor in that... A. Sentinels have better LoS, harder to insta-kill, AV 12 can't be hurt by small arms and most CC attacks, hammer of wrath, good tarpit unit, and can take camo nets.

On the other hand, HWS's can be ordered to "Bring it Down!" Which is a huge boost when firing at AV13+. Both have their merits, and to be honest, I might try Armored Sentinels with Lascannons myself. msn-wink.gif

I've tried them...they weren't great, except for one thing...they were so scary to my opponent that they drew 400 points worth of fire...not bad for a 150 point unit!  But, really, 50 points each for a BS3 lascannon is wretched.  That's 100 points per hit/turn.  Meh.  You know what costs 20 points more than three armored sentinels, provides excellent anti-air, has three twinlinked lascannons (hmmm...that's roughly 60 points per hit/turn, but not starting earlier than turn two) and generally required snap shots from the enemy?  No contest there.

I've tried them...they weren't great, except for one thing...they were so scary to my opponent that they drew 400 points worth of fire...not bad for a 150 point unit! But, really, 50 points each for a BS3 lascannon is wretched. That's 100 points per hit/turn. Meh. You know what costs 20 points more than three armored sentinels, provides excellent anti-air, has three twinlinked lascannons (hmmm...that's roughly 60 points per hit/turn, but not starting earlier than turn two) and generally required snap shots from the enemy? No contest there.

Agreed. Except when we factor in the $ cost. Then HWS's are cheaper. happy.png

Archived