Contemptor load outs

Kecyre

What is the best way to outfit the Contemptors? I am running Death Guard and would like to field 2 or 3 of them but not sure how I should go about it.

Also can you fit Mortis Contemptors in a Talon or only regular contemptors?

Mortis Contemptors only work alone and cannot be used in a talon. I believe most of my FOC woes would be solved by allowing mortis in talons. 

I field between 2 and 6 contemptors in every list I bring. Here are the load outs and some observations:

Twin Kheres Assault cannon: This mortis is a consistent provider of firepower for my army. The range is sometimes unfortunate but the sheer number of shots that it puts out and the fact that with rending he can hurt anything my enemy has on the table makes him an "always include" in my book. 

Twin Multimeltas: I originally wasn't sure I was going to outfit my model with this set of weapons as I was worried by the short range and lack of twin linking options. Two shots out of a 155 point model isn't fantastic, but he has become one of my go-to models and something my opponents put a disproportionate amount of firepower into. Having an 18 inch threat range for 2D6 penetration means he can keep other dreadnoughts, transports and non-ceramite models away from his sector. I've also had some success with him in an AA capacity. He is never in position to kill anything on the intercept (as I keep moving him to establish center board control), but he is able to stop moving if a flyer comes near him and kill it. 

Single Kheres, Combi-bolter fist: While he is more expensive (non-mortis) and has half the firepower of the twin-kheres variety, AV13 in combat and the ability to hurt vehicles means that he is a deterrent against both enemy mortis dreads and enemy infantry who lack meltabombs. Once in combat he doesn't kill much, but the threat of the fist can help dictate enemy action. 

Twin-linked Lascannon, graviton fist: Same as above but anti-tank as opposed to the kheres. The grav weapon is nearly an assured glance, while the lascannon is effective against any enemy vehicle. Between the close combat potential, the haywire effect and a lascannon this dreadnought is able to act as a deterrent against enemy land raider embarked units and dreadnoughts. 

Heavy Conversion beamer, combi-bolter fist: Against enemies with outflankers, he can sit back and bombard with the conversion beamer while serve to protect those vulnerable heavy support squads that always seem to get jumped.

Twin Twinlinked autocannons: Sit back and provide AA defense. As people realize the primaris strike fighter with kraken penetrators is fantastic for popping spartans and other heavy units, this dread provides long ranged AA coverage while retaining the ability to hurt transports. Starts to become weak against other contemptors and predator/vindicator forces. 

I hope this gives you some ideas. Contemptors are my favorite unit and I love that they really feel like dreadnoughts should. Hard to kill, scary and flexible. They are usually some of the most effective units in my army and survive far more than you might expect.

My las dread is not a mortis, but a regular style. If I feel I really need heavy AA, I have a mortis dreadnought (not contemptor) that has two twin-lascannons. I find for a backfield AA model, the savings between the contemptor and regular mortis is well worth it. 

I highly suggest the twin multimelta. It's cheap (for a contemptor) and the threat range is MUCH larger than it seems. 

I use twin power claws with inbuilt heavy flamers (Salamander Legion). Might not be the most efficient but fun. Charging in a tearing stuff up. S6 flamers can cause a lot of wounds (especially against Armour 5+).

I don't play often but they've done well. But I don't play against other Legions. Only done it once and faced Lorgar with Invisibility in 6th with two of these guys (and LOW for myself). The did ok, failed charge with both so they faced him one at a time. Took some wounds off before dying but he got most back with IWND. But good fun.

I have 4 Contemptors in the armory of my Fists, below are the weapons arms that I have:

TL Heavy Bolters (never been used to date)

Heavy conversion Beamer (used in one game and it popped a Las Destructor Vindi and lot of tac Marines, I also didn't have the range in that game to get the S10 AP1 profile I will be fielding this weapon against Iron Warriors this coming Wednesday over a lorge open table I will let you know how it fairs) 

Kheres Assault cannon X2 (Mortis Configuration, this is an Astartes street sweeper, it puts out massive damage against a anything that is dismounted and with rending shots you have a little potential to do some hull point stripping)

DCCW X3 ( I plan on having 2 of these attached at the same time with heavy flamers for a small Zone Mortalis event that is coming up, but in regular play my Contemptors haven't lived long enough to get into CC)

TL Multi Melta (+++REDACTED+++)

I will say that in the games I have played my Contemptors are bullet magnets and in my opinion draw more fire than they warrant, (that's fine by me though because it allows my Sicaran and predator to maneuver and cause allot of hate)  based off of that i never plan for them to survive a full game and what ever arm I give him its to supplementa capabiltiy that I already have and wont be high and dry once its popped!

I'm planning on getting a dual twin linked lascannon contemptor mortis soon I think. It'll be in my 1k Word Bearer force and it'll be my main source of anti tank and anti aircraft and so the additional resilience it has over the normal mortis variant is welcomed, plus I think it looks badass.

I think the dual twin-linked lascannon contemptor is extremely solid. At 1000 points it is resilient enough to do its job. However, make sure you have some backup anti-tank. If it is utilized for interceptor AA, you will have a turn without AT.  

I will definitely be taking the Mortis-Contemptor w/ 2 Kheres Cannons

So 1 Dread with 2 twin Las for range and vehicle popping

The Double Kherese should be fine at helping pop light armored flyers I'd imagine?

On top of the minimum troop requirement so far I have:

1 Medusa

1 Spartan Assault Tanks: Filled with Deathshrouds and Calas Typhon

10 man heavy squads all with Autocannons

• 10 months later...

Hey guys !

So, I'm working on an army list and I'd love to field some Contemptors Dreadnoughts. In an Ultramarines Army, I plan to use them as a "prime firer" to get the rerolls to-wound/to-pen and I also plan them to have at least one CC weapon each so that they can use their fleet to get into combat and thus provide rerolls to charge to other Ultramarines units.

I haven't fielded a Contemptor ever, so I'd love if you could give me your opinion on the following loadouts ! :)

1) Plasma Cannon, Chainfist Arm with Graviton Gun - To throw a few blasts against infantry and to deter large vehicles from going too close.

2) Kheres, DCCW with Plasma Blaster, Havoc Launcher - More anti infantry

3) Dual DCCW with 2 Plasma Blasters

4) Lascannon, Chainfirst arm with Plasma Blaster

The Dreadnought(s) would most likely be footslogging, covering up the advance of the army.

Dual CCW with Dual Grav.

I can see on paper how it's good against vehicles no doubt, but how fares the Grav against Infantry ? I have trouble picturing its efficiency :/

Dual CCW with Dual Grav.

I can see on paper how it's good against vehicles no doubt, but how fares the Grav against Infantry ? I have trouble picturing its efficiency :/

its not going to kill them much but, unless they have MtC, they'll be slowed down for a bit.

Dual CCW with Dual Grav.

its not going to kill them much but, unless they have MtC, they'll be slowed down for a bit.

Okay so it's going to be annoying for them, right thanks ! A single CCW with Grav seems like an interesting idea biggrin.png It's true that even if they're not dead, it'll be annoying for them smile.png

How would you guys feel, like One Marshal said, about a Kheres, Havoc Launcher, DCCW with Grav Gun ? It seems pretty well rounded up ?

Greycrow - do what I did, magnetise, get two contemptors, two kheres, two DCCW/grav, and mix n match :)

On an old query... has anyone had any mileage out of the Heavy Conversion Beamer plus a dccw?  Specifically, I'm wondering how viable one would be in a DG Reaping list, sitting to the side / rear for a bit of anti armour.

Greycrow - do what I did, magnetise, get two contemptors, two kheres, two DCCW/grav, and mix n match smile.png

On an old query... has anyone had any mileage out of the Heavy Conversion Beamer plus a dccw? Specifically, I'm wondering how viable one would be in a DG Reaping list, sitting to the side / rear for a bit of anti armour.

If you've got the Range and LoS, that S10 Ap1 Large Blast is nice to have. S8 Ap4(?) in a Large Blast is also still good but below that its not that worth it anymore especially for the points cost.

Kheres and grav fist sounds like a great all rounder for Ultramarines. I use that with my death guard and the utility can be a game winner. The missiles are okay if you have the points for it, looks super badass.

Dual grav fist is what I use for my raven guard drop podding contemptors, they go wrecking pred or Medusa squadrons etc.

One thing to be careful of with grav guns is dropping the template in front of yourself and gimping your own charge distance!!

I don't rate the conversion beamer as on a lot of tables you don't get the Max range bonus, its static and costs a lot for what you get!

By the way, if you're going Kheres + Grav Fist, consider the Chain Fist. Since its only one DCCW, you dont lose the benefit of an Extra Attack for Dual Power Fists.

By the way, if you're going Kheres + Grav Fist, consider the Chain Fist. Since its only one DCCW, you dont lose the benefit of an Extra Attack for Dual Power Fists.

Don't you get the extra attack anyway from the dreadnought rules by having two combat arms?

Don't you get the extra attack anyway from the dreadnought rules by having two combat arms?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's an interesting option considering the Chainfist gets the Grav gun model, but I personally don't like the Contemptor Chainfist Model ^^ The Chainblade looks way too small, it looks like someone cut a finger off the regular Contemptor Fist and glued a Chainsword in my opinion.

I wish the Grav Gun came stock with the regular Fist, I feel the claw might look too aggressive for an Ultra army imho. Once again, the FW website picture might not show it at a proper angle !

Funny enough the person who first reccomended to me the kheres grav fist was a certain imperial fist player.

FULL CIRCLE!

Archived